Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2023, 06:44 AM

4,156 posts, read 3,080,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
No. There is a big difference between being able to afford something and choosing the best way to spend your money. We can most definitely afford to take $10,000 in cash out of the bank and throw it in the middle of the street. But are we going to do that? Obviously not. It is not the best use of our money.

Similarly paying for LTC insurance is very likely not the best use of your money.
Financial advisors are required to discuss long-term care insurance, as the result of a lawsuit (I can't find the reference online). However, long-term care insurance is quite expensive, and has very limited coverage. That's why I don't have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2023, 06:50 AM

106,906 posts, read 109,176,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Financial advisors are required to discuss long-term care insurance, as the result of a lawsuit (I can't find the reference online). However, long-term care insurance is quite expensive, and has very limited coverage. That's why I don't have it.
have you looked in to your states partnership plans ? coverage can be incredible if your state offers full asset protection.

most states have partnership plans in place .

most are a dollar for a dollar not full assets protection like we have

many insurers pulled out because usage is off the hook compared to what they figured

Old 10-14-2023, 07:23 AM

18,184 posts, read 15,761,055 times
After researching the topic and assessing the costs and risk years ago, I decided not to get a LTC policy and instead invest the money.

Old 10-14-2023, 07:55 AM

8,099 posts, read 12,827,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Single, no kids -- no LTCI.

I'm self insuring until the money runs out.
When it does...it does.

Given the length of MOST nursing home stays...I'm good.
Same here. Both of my parents spent very brief stays at nursing facilities. Personally I plan on checking out when I can no longer take care of myself. I am pragmatic regarding old age; I see no point in extending my life so I can sit in a wheelchair eating jello.

Old 10-14-2023, 08:07 AM

our estate attorney says his biggest group of clients are the self insurers ..

in order to self insure one has to invest like an insurance company or they are not really acting as one .

especially if a spouse is involved .

a large lump sum has to be segregated and invested in conservative investments out of the pool of money that generates one’s income .

since even drawing 4% can be depleted down in less then favorable outcomes it cant be left in that income generation pool .

now those who have spouses are realizing that their income is taking a major hit as that money never segregated is being drawn down .

now the stay at home spouse freaks out and runs to an attorney for help
we purposely got a ltc plan just so we can leave all the money invested as is .

for a small part of the average gains it pays for the policy.

we were going to self insure until we were in money magazine and their team of pros illustrated what a bad idea that was for a lot of reasons.

my dad impoverished his second wife because he needed care for 5 years ..his post office pension and little bit of social security was just over the limit for medicaid so it wasn’t possible to get .

the home took both his pension and ss leaving her with little …

it is so easy to be depleted when both five figures for care and regular living expenses for the spouse are coming out .

people forget if they have pensions and ss they may not get medicaid on an income basis

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-14-2023 at 08:26 AM..

Old 10-14-2023, 08:31 AM

6,640 posts, read 4,334,375 times
We are planning to go into a Type A, life care, CCRC, which provides a continuum of care, including independent living, assisted living, and skilled nursing. We don’t want the responsibility of coordinating our care or being a burden to our daughter. LTCI can be used to help with the monthly fees at these facilities.

Old 10-14-2023, 08:36 AM

where is the ccrc ?

Old 10-14-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
where is the ccrc ?
There are many of these throughout the U.S. We are in the process of narrowing it down. The nicest ones sometimes have long wait lists.

Old 10-14-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
There are many of these throughout the U.S. We are in the process of narrowing it down. The nicest ones sometimes have long wait lists.
we found long island or westchester ones really way out of price range.. here they are really for the wealthy. upper middle class cannot consider these here

Old 10-14-2023, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we found long island or westchester ones really way out of price range.. here they are really for the wealthy. upper middle class cannot consider these here
MJ, I’m going to DM you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance