Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 11:48 AM

9,137 posts, read 6,185,387 times

Advertisements

It may be of interest to people to learn that the Knights of Columbus has a Long-Term Care product available to their members in the US and Canada.

https://www.kofc.org/en/what-we-do/i...insurance.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2023, 11:59 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
What is the current conventional thinking regarding Long-Term Care Insurance? Can you reach a point of wealth that you no longer need to carry LTC? The premiums start out small and increase over time. By then, your wealth should have increased, so does it make financial sense to continue paying the premiums?
We don't have it and never had it. My husband worked in the insurance industry and thinks it's a bad investment. Our financial advisor has it.

Old 09-18-2023, 12:46 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I suspect a number of LTCI companies are going to be in a bind as people age and live longer. They will be forced to pay more and more out. Some of these companies likely will not survive; even if they do premiums are likely to escalate to the point that many will not be able to continue to pay. If I was going to do LTC, it would only be with an insurance company that does business in a number of areas and only with one that has very high ratings (ie., Comdex score).
This is the long term "gamble"

I'm always worried when wallstreet/insurance guys are collecting checks today for a return you need 20+ years out. All their salaries/bonuses and lackluster returns = a client who gets nothing.

I had one grandparent drop dead in the garage, the other had a stroke/dementia and lasted 10 years in a nursing home. They took good care of them in the home but it was a miserable existence. Put me down for the drop dead in the garage idea instead!

Old 09-18-2023, 01:08 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
...... She does have a LTC policy which helps tremendously. That benefit plus her SS had been covering the cost, although that's no longer true after this year's rate increase.
You have to keep paying the premium even while you're in the home?
Uhm, did I know that and forget that part? (Rhetorical, of course)
Wow, If I did hear it...I forgot that.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind carrying some LTC insurance, but there's really no way to plan. How much could the premium increase over the next 20 years? 2x? 5x? 10x? There seems no way to guess, and I'm loath to pay into a policy for years and then end up having to abandon it late in life.
Yeah, that's a consideration of mine also.
I know it wouldn't be true necessarily, but I'd sure feel like that money was wasted/poured down the drain. It wasn't because I would have had coverage IF I had needed it...and that is after all what you're paying for...but still.

Quote:
IMO, there should be a way for married people to legally separate their assets without getting divorced. Then, for example, if I needed LTC my half of the assets would be fair game, but I wouldn't have to worry about my wife being left in a financial bind. Is there a way to accomplish this?
Yeah but you know how people try to game a system. Would the law that permitted that HAVE to stipulate the assets are split 50/50. If not what's to keep them from putting put all the assets in one of their name's, and take a chance on which might not need care.

Not all marriages are happy or created equal. Heck , there are people who are still married but haven't lived to gather for over 20 years.

I'm not married. I don't know HOW they'd try to game it and don't need to think of the particulars of how they'd do it. But they would try. Believe me. They do it now by getting divorced and still being together. I heard. long time ago one person's loophole is another person's lawful, legal opportunity.

------
As an aside let's remember that technically LTCI isn't just for seniors. While visiting my elderly cousin in a nursing home, I saw quite a few people EASILY under 40, and a few under 30.

A motorcycle, biking or car accident, a fall down the stairs, a freak sporting accident -- any of these could put even a teenager in need of home or nursing care. It's just that at younger ages parents become the caretaker...because they're young enough to do it. But what if the person is thirty to 35? Parents could be in their 70s...siblings by that time have their own lives.....

So it's not just for the elderly. That's why I pondered whether one should pay for it say from 25 to 55....or when ever their assets would allow them to self insure. Why not consider it like term insurance? Drop it once you think you're OK without it.

Just a thought.

Last edited by selhars; 09-18-2023 at 01:18 PM..

Old 09-18-2023, 02:03 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
As an aside let's remember that technically LTCI isn't just for seniors. While visiting my elderly cousin in a nursing home, I saw quite a few people EASILY under 40, and a few under 30.

A motorcycle, biking or car accident, a fall down the stairs, a freak sporting accident -- any of these could put even a teenager in need of home or nursing care. It's just that at younger ages parents become the caretaker...because they're young enough to do it. But what if the person is thirty to 35? Parents could be in their 70s...siblings by that time have their own lives.....
That is for sure. Several years ago, a distant family member (in his 20's) was teaching his martial arts class and suffered a paralyzing accident. He is in a wheelchair and paralyzed from the neck down. I can't even imagine the costs that the family has had to bear. The parents have become his caregivers, and when they can no longer manage it, his siblings will take over.

Old 09-18-2023, 03:38 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
most states have partnership plans which offer far more in coverage then just regular ltc insurance .

there are very few companies to choose from ..

many states already have no more insurance companies wanting to participate , it has been very unprofitable with all the unexpected usage

Old 09-18-2023, 03:58 PM

6,759 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
You have to keep paying the premium even while you're in the home?
Uhm, did I know that and forget that part? (Rhetorical, of course)
Wow, If I did hear it...I forgot that.
Sorry. When I said "rate increase" I was talking about the monthly bill from the memory care facility. I don't think she's paying premiums any longer, although one of my siblings is handling the check writing so I'm not 100% certain.

Quote:
Yeah but you know how people try to game a system. Would the law that permitted that HAVE to stipulate the assets are split 50/50. If not what's to keep them from putting put all the assets in one of their name's, and take a chance on which might not need care.
Sure... plenty of details would need to be ironed out. I'm just curious if there's any way to do this today. Perhaps using trusts? Not an area of any expertise for me, haha.

Old 09-18-2023, 04:36 PM

4,866 posts, read 4,806,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
We don't have it and never had it.

Same here.

Old 09-18-2023, 04:52 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,185,387 times
I've had LTC policy for more than thirty years.

I'm very happy to pay the quarterly premiums and never collect.

I feel that way about all my insurance policies.

Old 09-18-2023, 05:02 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
anyone who needs nursing home care is not one to move in with their kids …we are not talking assisted living conditions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance