Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 12:33 PM

795 posts, read 2,302,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The AARP does not take positions on issues that are not of concern to seniors. They do not have a position on gun control
So I had "Factor" researchers look at the AARP policy book. And we found a very liberal philosophy. For example, the organization favors strict gun control, entitlements for migrant workers and a progressive tax policy.

It says, "tax revenue sources should distribute the tax burden according to people's ability to pay," -- right out of the Marx handbook. "Taxation should be progressive."

More at

FOXNews.com - Put the AARP in the Progressive Camp - Bill O’Reilly | The O’Reilly Factor

And --
Now we've invited the leadership of the AARP on “The Factor” many times. They've turned us down, hiding out, counting the money.

And young Americans should be very worried about the AARP. It has 35 million members and it wants to raise your taxes to pay your senior entitlements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,877 times
AARP is the WORST. They bombard your mailbox with useless paper ads on a weekly basis. I joined AARP at 50 but quit 6 months later. For some reason they tracked me and started sending me those useless ads when I turned 56. I finally emailed them and pleaded to get off their mailing list. They emailed me back and said they would BUT it would take another 4-5 weeks! If you want discounts then try other options that are less invasive.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:25 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,012,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sactobill View Post
AARP is the WORST. They bombard your mailbox with useless paper ads on a weekly basis. I joined AARP at 50 but quit 6 months later. For some reason they tracked me and started sending me those useless ads when I turned 56. I finally emailed them and pleaded to get off their mailing list. They emailed me back and said they would BUT it would take another 4-5 weeks! If you want discounts then try other options that are less invasive.
It started as a lobbying group for older people, I think, but has turned into a money-making marketing scheme.

I am liberal in that when younger people have no money it is often (until the fall of the economy) because they are lazy, chose not to go to school or to have a family that they could not afford. At any rate, I think if they are healthy they can work. I know a woman who works 12 hours each day. I worked and put myself through school at night when I could afford to take classes. Graduated with no debt. My husband often worked two jobs. We saved and paid cash for most things.

But, when old people who are not able to work need help, I am willing to give money. They cannot just work longer hours. I am getting older and understand how hard it can be. Some sacrificed their retirement money for their kids' school, which I think dumb. Some have worked for pensions that their companies spent on other things and the government allowed the companies to get away with doing that. Some got ill with no health coverage and were wiped out.

No, I think the old have fewer and often no, options. I am willing to help the elderly.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:42 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,311,009 times
A hint for the OP: If you still decide you want to join AARP, alter your name or address slightly, for example, use your middle name or write 'road' instead of 'avenue'. This won't be enough of a change to stop your mail delivery. Then, you can accurately gauge whether AARP has sold this new, altered address to other companies. Trust me, it works like a charm.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:32 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,111,351 times
Here is the conservative alternative to AARP:

Medicare Insurance Prescription Discounts Senior Citizens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance