Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 04:40 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times

Advertisements

I am getting ready to relocate. Fortunately I had the foresight to check my new town for Bank of America locations and, well, there aren't any. In fact the nearest branch is 90 miles away. So I have transferred my CD into my Money Market account so that I can access it without going to the bank in person. Slightly lower rate, but what's a girl to do?

My question is, how do you go about choosing a bank? I have been with BOA since they bought out Barnett lo these many years ago, and I was with Barnett since I moved here in the '80's. At the time I opened the account my criteria was proximity of branch locations to both home & office.

Around here banks are closing their doors. Small banks that I never heard of until they opened a branch here. I am moving to a small town in rural Indiana and I have never heard of any of the banks there. Is there a way to check the stability of a bank? Is a credit union a better option?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 04:49 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
I have moved several times and never really worried about bank location. I still use a CU I joined over 25 years ago that is 2000 miles away. 99% of my banking is done online (or with ACH transactions) and when I need more than an ATM there is an associated CU down the street. What are your reqiuirements?

Old 08-13-2008, 05:39 PM

I have no risk CD, money market, and checking. The CD you have to go in person to the bank to access the funds, so having at least one branch nearby is helpful. Also, I am self employed and I get paid by check by about 1/2 of my customers so I have to be able to make deposits.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:59 PM

12 posts, read 55,941 times
You can read my recent post on BofA. I'll never do business with them again.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Beth View Post
You can read my recent post on BofA. I'll never do business with them again.
Has nothing to do with my question.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:39 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I have no risk CD, money market, and checking. The CD you have to go in person to the bank to access the funds, so having at least one branch nearby is helpful. Also, I am self employed and I get paid by check by about 1/2 of my customers so I have to be able to make deposits.
Not sure about the CD but it seems backwards that it requires you to show up in person to get your money over to another account.

The CU's I use have reciprocal agreements so that you can use an affiliated branch. Turns out that all the transactions I have done including depositing dozens of checks can be accomplished with a kiosk that reads checks, allows transfers and loans, and dispenses cash and printed logs.

Although you may be more comfortable with a new bank, keep in mind there are plenty of options.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Not sure about the CD but it seems backwards that it requires you to show up in person to get your money over to another account.
Its because the CD is an investment account, not a savings or checking. I actually don't mind that I have to go to the bank to move it. If I lose my debit card the bulk of my money can not be accessed via ATM or if someone hacks the bank they can't get the funds that way either.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:28 AM

673 posts, read 2,717,078 times
If you're looking for a rating, check this out: Bankrate.com -- Safe & Sound (tm): Bankrate's free rating system for banks, thrifts, credit unions

If you're looking for criteria, consider things like proximity, hours, services, fees, policies, reputation.

I never thought I'd say this but I'd also question a bank on its ability and willingness to protect your funds. 1) Witness the recent bank closures. 2) My great aunt was defrauded of over $250,000k by her caretaker while her bank admitted to turning a blind eye while profiting over $10,000 in NSF fees and CD penalties. Apparently federal banking law (the Uniform Commercial Code) allows this kind of abuse. Go figure.

I look at banks a lot differently now. We've chosen a small credit union and maintain a personal relationship with its officers.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:02 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Another option is an online bank like Ing. The need for a local bank is quickly becoming merely one of convenience for getting cash. Online banking makes a lot of sense, and Ing was smart enough to not get bogged down in the real estate loan fiasco.

We moved last year, and I discovered that for my business checking it was easier to keep my bank in south Florida and simply mail in deposits. We have a small personal account at a local bank, but other than stopping by to say hi and get free lollypops, and an occasional cashier's check, we could have kept our old account.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:46 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Another option is an online bank like Ing. The need for a local bank is quickly becoming merely one of convenience for getting cash.
And when you actually need cash?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance