Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2008, 03:17 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,423,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Pardon??? "there is no reason to have that many children" ????
I am so glad we have someone like you around to tell us all how it should be done.

I was not complaining. Actually, I am very happy. Oh, and by the way, my husband and I do not need workers for the field. We actually fit the criteria for this post, several times over. On our own, WITH 6 children.

There is no need to project YOUR feelings onto others and their lifestyle choices. I certainly hope you are able to keep afloat in real estate with your lack of personal skills and polish. Good luck...you may need it.
But, your NOT complaining. IMO, big difference. $80 and five children? What if two of them loses their shoes????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 03:53 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,288,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
But, your NOT complaining. IMO, big difference. $80 and five children? What if two of them loses their shoes????
Well then they are really up the proverbial creek. Brokerdave's comment about having so many children was an antiquated and rude.

Thanks for your reply, though.

Last edited by mrstewart; 08-23-2008 at 04:13 PM..

Old 08-23-2008, 04:09 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,536,689 times
This is just my theory, but one of the reasons I think people in poor countries have so many children is because they have no other financial assets to speak of, and that they view children as their only financial asset. And children do fulfill that role, acting as sources of income (in the form of child labor) and as a social safety net to support the parents in their old age. While we Americans have social security (which is not exactly in financially sound shape), poor people in developing countries have their children. Which one would you rather have?

Old 08-23-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
This is just my theory, but one of the reasons I think people in poor countries have so many children is because they have no other financial assets to speak of, and that they view children as their only financial asset. And children do fulfill that role, acting as sources of income (in the form of child labor) and as a social safety net to support the parents in their old age. While we Americans have social security (which is not exactly in financially sound shape), poor people in developing countries have their children. Which one would you rather have?
Or because the folks in third world countries don't have easy access to birth control??

Old 08-23-2008, 04:19 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,233,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yes, I am. That was funny........
Good for you! You are a role model for other women struggling to get ahead in industries usually dominated by men. Awesome!!

Old 08-23-2008, 04:37 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,536,689 times
Quote:
Or because the folks in third world countries don't have easy access to birth control??
Partly true. But in some Asian countries I've visited, access to cheap (even free) birth control methods isn't a problem. Yet the poor people still avoid using them. The most common reason given is that they want their children to care for them in their old age. To them, there's nothing worse than being old, poor, and childless.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:41 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,922,192 times
Quote:
Pardon??? "there is no reason to have that many children" ????
I am so glad we have someone like you around to tell us all how it should be done.

I was not complaining. Actually, I am very happy. Oh, and by the way, my husband and I do not need workers for the field. We actually fit the criteria for this post, several times over. On our own, WITH 6 children.

There is no need to project YOUR feelings onto others and their lifestyle choices. I certainly hope you are able to keep afloat in real estate with your lack of personal skills and polish. Good luck...you may need it.
did you even read the post i was referring too? i was talking about having 12 children, lol. not 5 or 6 for that matter.

but i liked how you went on to tell me how it was in order to show me how unpolished i am. lol. and thanks for the good luck apparently i need it, lol.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:58 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,423,912 times
Quote:
Some of it is religion.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
unless your poor and need workers for the fields, there is no reason to have that many children. and if you have 5 children you can't complain about having no money. they didn't all just show up.
This is the quote I was referring to...yes, it does appear you were referrring to 5 children not 12.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:52 PM

37,550 posts, read 61,629,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
unless your poor and need workers for the fields, there is no reason to have that many children. and if you have 5 children you can't complain about having no money. they didn't all just show up.
The joys of raising children is enough reason to justify having lots of children.

Raising a houseful of children will not truly stop anyone from accumulating wealth if that is their goal.

Psalm 127 :4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.
:5 Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance