Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 02:51 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times

Advertisements

'Rich Dad . poor dad" was the fraud.

MND is real
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 03:17 PM

947 posts, read 3,140,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Exactly. I love the MND book. Was a real eye opener and, if nothing else, will help the average consumer driven person feel a different way about frugality and its merits. I'm more likely to brag about the $3 shirt I'm wearing, that I picked up on sale at Goodwill, than I am the house I live in. Most of my financially secure friends are the same way. Sometimes we even get into good natured "my outfit is cheaper than yours" discussions.

When I see someone who outwardly "has it all" (big house, boat, luxury cars, etc.), I assume they are broke and one payday away from missing bill payments.

Steve
I feel the same way. It's the all hat no cattle.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:35 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,119,212 times
Default Inflation

Several other posters have pointed out that " a million is not that much anymore."

I tend to agree.

Still, this is an interesting thread.

I'd be curious to hear from the folks who have one-million plus income per year.

(Not to diminish those who have worked hard and have that in assets-yay you ).

Old 01-19-2009, 10:13 PM

349 posts, read 863,337 times
i guess this is the thread i should be asking my favorite question... can i borrow $5? lol jk

Old 01-19-2009, 10:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
work hard save money buy property pay it off, buy more work hard save money work hard.
buy more pay it off. dont marry dont have kids. live alone.
be very generous and good to others and your parents. eat right exercise, stay fit.
they will all hate you.

man's best friend
it was probably me (clapton & sting) sing it.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:58 AM

939 posts, read 2,381,526 times
Quote:
Exactly. I love the MND book. Was a real eye opener and, if nothing else, will help the average consumer driven person feel a different way about frugality and its merits. I'm more likely to brag about the $3 shirt I'm wearing, that I picked up on sale at Goodwill, than I am the house I live in. Most of my financially secure friends are the same way. Sometimes we even get into good natured "my outfit is cheaper than yours" discussions.

When I see someone who outwardly "has it all" (big house, boat, luxury cars, etc.), I assume they are broke and one payday away from missing bill payments.

Steve
I don't think you should assume that at all. You really can't always judge a book by its cover.

I have a nice house, (though not large at all by today's standards) that was custom designed and built, two "luxury" cars, and a second home. We carry mortgage debt but no other debt (and could pay off our mortgages, if necessary). The reason we are able to have these things is because we lived fairly frugally in a 2br/1ba 900 sq. foot home for 10 years. We lived as a one car family for 14 years, until we needed two cars. One of our "luxury" cars has 130,000 miles on it and it still looks close to new. We take care of the things we have and we don't spend on "throwaway stuff". I can't think of the last time I made an impulse purchase or went to a mall. No doubt, we are better off than many, and that has enabled us to have these things, but if my husband should lose his job, or I lost my PT job, our lives wouldn't change that much. I credit my DH who started saving in high school and maxed out his 401(k) beginning the first month of his very first job.

We clip coupons, refinance our mortgage to get a lower rate, look for better rates on cable and phone, program our thermostat so that we use less heat/cold when we're away, go to thrift shops on occasion, sell unwanted items on craigslist, purchase wanted items on craigslist (bought a dog crate on craigslist for $45 and sold it a year later for $30), clean our own house, wash our own cars, buy used books or go to the library, wear mostly classic clothes that have lasted for years (I'm wearing a wool dress today that I bought in 1999 and it doesn't look dated and it's not falling apart). One of my kids four year old backpack got a hole in the bottom - I patched it. You get the picture... but if you saw me driving down the road in my luxury car and pulling into my driveway, or at Starbucks (gift card) talking about my weekend at my other house, I'd be the person whose house of cards was about to tumble.

I guess the point is, some of those people you see may in fact be sinking, but just as many of them are not, they make smart decisions and they may not really be all that different from you.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:07 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Oh. Well, unless your talking about Trust-Fund kids, a person making a million a year is working far too hard to hang out on CD message boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Several other posters have pointed out that " a million is not that much anymore."

I tend to agree.

Still, this is an interesting thread.

I'd be curious to hear from the folks who have one-million plus income per year.

(Not to diminish those who have worked hard and have that in assets-yay you ).

Old 01-22-2009, 03:13 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,063,046 times
Quote:
I don't think you should assume that at all. You really can't always judge a book by its cover.
The assumption will be correct more often than wrong, by a long shot. Yes there are exceptions. So what? It's well known that most people live on 110% of their income instead of 70% of their income, as their aspirations to appear wealthy outstrip their financial abilities to become wealthy.
Steve

Old 01-22-2009, 04:01 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
The assumption will be correct more often than wrong, by a long shot. Yes there are exceptions. So what? It's well known that most people live on 110% of their income instead of 70% of their income, as their aspirations to appear wealthy outstrip their financial abilities to become wealthy.
Steve
From my experiences; from among my relatives, friends and people that I have worked for I think that you may be in error.

Work boots, overalls, and rough hands are far more likely to indicate an annual income of greater than $300k, and Net Worth of greater than $5million.

A McMansion, $2,000 suits, new $100k car, and polish, tend to mean something else.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:28 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,063,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
From my experiences; from among my relatives, friends and people that I have worked for I think that you may be in error.

Work boots, overalls, and rough hands are far more likely to indicate an annual income of greater than $300k, and Net Worth of greater than $5million.

A McMansion, $2,000 suits, new $100k car, and polish, tend to mean something else.
Uh, I think we're saying the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance