Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 01:15 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,443,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
No sweat....
Thanks for expounding on your views. In essence, it seems that we share similar opinions on debt and leverage.

Debt is a tool, just like a nail gun. You can still drive nails without the gun, but it sure takes a lot longer. Likewise, if you don't know how to use the nail gun you can hurt yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 01:31 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,786,821 times
Is it still called debt when you have revolving credit that you pay off before being charged interest? Say, I have a credit card that earns me 5% cash back which I choose to use instead of paying with cash. I rack up 100k each year but it's paid off each month in full, and make myself 5k a year cash rebate. Is the 100k some sort of 'unrealized' debt? Sorry, I don't know my economic terms. Well whatever it is, I guess I'm getting 'free' money off of debt at the expense of others (merchants?).

Old 08-27-2008, 01:36 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,770,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Is it still called debt when you have revolving credit that you pay off before being charged interest? Say, I have a credit card that earns me 5% cash back which I choose to use instead of paying with cash. I rack up 100k each year but it's paid off each month in full, and make myself 5k a year cash rebate. Is the 100k some sort of 'unrealized' debt? Sorry, I don't know my economic terms. Well whatever it is, I guess I'm getting 'free' money off of debt at the expense of others (merchants?).
The difference is that your not incurring "interest" unless you don't pay it off in the billing cycle...

just a note: I have AMEX blue....cash back is a great thing...

Old 08-27-2008, 04:24 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,757,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
just a note: I have AMEX blue....cash back is a great thing...
Right Jack, the card companies are giving out "free" money

Old 08-27-2008, 05:26 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,551,403 times
My whole business is run on "debt". By that I mean, I buy on credit, then the customer purchases at a higher price. I haven't actually used any of my money to pay for the product and it is paid off.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:57 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,770,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Right Jack, the card companies are giving out "free" money
How is it not in my best interest if pay off my balance on time every month and the credit card company gives me cash back for doing that?

Old 08-27-2008, 08:58 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,170,537 times
Seriously, the debt issue is dramatically different from a business vs a personal point of view. It seems all that is happening here is that people are talking past each other because some are talking about it from a business perspective and others from a personal perspective.

Quote:
There's a difference between leveraging debt and gambling.
Not really, many business fail because they couldn't pay their debt. They made a bet about what was going to happen in the future and it didn't work out.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:27 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,872,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agung View Post
What debt are considered a good debt?
My credit card debt. I use it instead of cash. I get amazon points, which I used to buy even more crap. I pay it off every month...I get free money...well Amazon coupons. $2500 bucks on the card ='s 25 Amazon cash points.

I got like 300 free bucks last year. WOOHOOOO. I put EVERYTHING on that card. It's amazing how fast it adds up. I charge something, then go online and pay it off the next day....or the same day.. Yeah.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:09 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,170,537 times
Quote:
My credit card debt. I use it instead of cash.
This isn't debt per se, they give you a grace period. Calling this debt is about the same as calling your monthly bills.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:14 AM

37,610 posts, read 61,705,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Seriously, the debt issue is dramatically different from a business vs a personal point of view. It seems all that is happening here is that people are talking past each other because some are talking about it from a business perspective and others from a personal perspective.

Not really, many business fail because they couldn't pay their debt. They made a bet about what was going to happen in the future and it didn't work out.
I agree.

'Business' debt is slightly different from 'personal' debt.

And yet both are still very much the same. If things turn sour, you are holding the bag and that bag is earning interest.

So all debt is 'bad'.

Some debt is worse than other debt.

Some debts at least can be a mechanism to allow you to build from.

While other debts are simply debts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance