Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 06:34 PM

274 posts, read 606,350 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, how old was everyone when they became financially independent? How did you get to be 100% financially independent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 07:15 PM

947 posts, read 3,140,637 times
Let's see. Once I had a job at 16 my parents supplied the basics a roof over my head and food on the table. Everything else I wanted or needed I had to pay for, car, car insurance, clothes, prom, movies, out with friends etc...

I was fully on my own when I was 23 and have been financially independent since then. I became 100% financially independent because there was no other option. I can't turn to my parents for money when they don't have any and are just making do themselves.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:19 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,223,730 times
As soon as I left college, so I guess at 20 / 21.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:07 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,506,208 times
I've been financially independent every time I wasn't in school.

You do it by having a job, moving out of the house (or paying rent, if you dont want to move), and pay all of your bills.

When I'm in school, I need their help to pay for tuition, books, rent, etc.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:25 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,006,675 times
I've had my own money made from jobs since I was 10 (not counting the $1/wk allowance my parents paid me until I was 9)

That's when I started babysitting. I did that until I was 15, then I started waitressing. When I was 16, I picked up a second part-time job doing telephone debt collections (come to think of it, that might be the reason I'm so jaded and cynical towards humans in gereal. )

I used my own money to buy my own car at 16 and paid for my own gas, insurance and also helped my mother pay the bills (divorced and left with a house too much for her to afford)

I've been financially independent for quite some time.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:12 PM

274 posts, read 606,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
I've been financially independent every time I wasn't in school.

You do it by having a job, moving out of the house (or paying rent, if you dont want to move), and pay all of your bills.

When I'm in school, I need their help to pay for tuition, books, rent, etc.
Well, obviously...

I just wanted to know what the norm is...I'm almost there...

Old 10-31-2008, 07:57 PM

438 posts, read 1,731,485 times
age 19 when I moved out. Before that I paid for my own car, ins, gas, clothes, etc but not rent, utilities so I was still dependent.

After I moved out I also put myself through college working full-time. You learn there's a lot you can live without.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:38 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,679,388 times
At age 22 when I graduated from college, started my career, and moved out on my own I became financially independent. There have been some bumps in the road when I was living on change at the end of the month, but during those times I got second and third jobs to make ends meet. Best wishes!

Old 11-01-2008, 09:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
I've had my own money made from jobs since I was 10 (not counting the $1/wk allowance my parents paid me until I was 9)

That's when I started babysitting. I did that until I was 15, then I started waitressing. When I was 16, I picked up a second part-time job doing telephone debt collections (come to think of it, that might be the reason I'm so jaded and cynical towards humans in gereal. )

I used my own money to buy my own car at 16 and paid for my own gas, insurance and also helped my mother pay the bills (divorced and left with a house too much for her to afford)

I've been financially independent for quite some time.
That's me too! Folks said I never asked for a dime after I was 12 and bought my own clothes. I had 3 jobs @ age 15 (till 28), and left home at 16. At 18 I got full responsibility of a disabled parent, then... the other parent went broke (sheriff booted them out of house) so I had to make a basement apartment and move home to cover the rent. Helped with my siblings college and ortho expenses. I bought my first home at 20 ($16,000 ) I have had about 20 properties in the last 30 yrs.

Retired (laid off) at age 49, 6wks prior to retirement eligibility, so... on to a new chapter on how to maintain Financial Independence. Health care and cash flow are the big issues, and paying $33/ day in property taxes... (that stinks). Next step, get rid of primary residence and buy a commercial place with the equity that has a small apartment for me. The secret is to work hard, but have your money work FOR you. (that is actually more important as your assets grow, as 'wages', won't cover you for ever), except being a Walmart greeter till expiration.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:17 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
I got my first job at age 10 by getting a paper route that was deleievreed on the evening weekdays and saturday. On sunday it was morning deleievry. A couple of years later I got a second job that required me to egt up at 5:00am and wrap goods at a small local bakery shop to be delivered by theown to stire in town during the week. I got off at 7:00 am to go hoe to prepare for school. Inever was reallty independent from my parents becaus ethey bought me a new bike once a year as long as I need one for work and they paid my clothyes etc. I saved much of the money I made and went to movies etc on it.I always had a parttime job even in college. I bought my first thing on credit which was a stereo system when I was 13 as they were expensive. It was at a local strore and I paid it off each a month my self riding that same bike. Looking back this independence was a great learnign lesson in life.I have always had work thru out my life and retired confortably at 52.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance