Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 05:54 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,008,208 times

Advertisements

Snap shot of my sisters situation:

She's on her 3rd house in 5 years. Refi 1st house, sold as short sale (bank ate $100,000 loss), Refi 2nd house, went to foreclosure (bank at $240,000 loss), she's on house number 3, she took a hard money loan (1 yr balloon), but she didn't/couldn't get enough cash to fully build (or spent some of it). Now the note is due June 1st, she has to finish (decks, baths, odd/ends) by end of may, get appraised and close new loan (supposedly approved for).

I loaned her $4000 to work on the house and get a head start on finishing trim work, etc at least until her tax return comes in, now it's delayed due to missing paperwork. I have some extra cash as I've been working 7 days a week since Nov 09, building up cash after working part time going through school.

My question is this. Should I put good money after bad and lend her what money I have to finish the house in the hopes that she gets the house refi'd and pays me back, or do I cut my losses at this point and watch her sink into the abyss that she helped create (along with ex-husband).

I'd feel bad if she lost the house due to my not helping more, but I'd also feel bad if I lost another $6000 on top of the $4000 I've loaned her, because honestly I think that unless she gets an extension on her hard money loan, she'll lose the house regardless of what I do or don't do.

My wife is vehemently against the idea of giving my sister more money, and I can't blame her, my sister has a Harley Fat boy in the garage that she refuses to sell and her now live in, ex-husband has 2 Harleys that he refuses to sell. Over $30,000 worth of toys that could help save the house. Her reason for not selling the Harley is that she wouldn't be able to buy it again.

Right now I'm leaning toward not giving her anymore cash, but if she doesn't get tax return back before needing to refi this house, then that money is gone.

Am I wrong for not helping more than I can? Are there any other options besides me giving her more cash? I asked her if she's inquired about a loan extension with the hard money guy, she has not. She won't do that, won't sell her Harley, etc. And to add insult to injury, some of the last bit of cash that I gave her, she used to pay her property taxes, etc.

Sorry for the rambling post, I just don't know who to ask for advice, I can't ask my Mom, who quit her job friday to try and get disability and want's money from me, or my other Brother in law who spent $350,000 building a $250,000 house or my ex brother in law who has blown $500,000 in the last 5 years.

I just started working full time again in Nov 09 and my wife got a decent job in Jan 2010 (decent for TN). I'm made to feel like the greedy bad guy, though I'm working 2 jobs and my wife works, I have no debt and 2 older paid for cars (frugal squirrel).

Do I have a question? How can I help my sister without losing anymore of my hard earned money and without being the bad guy in the deal!

Tony in TN

Last edited by Tony1790; 04-05-2010 at 06:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 06:16 PM

167 posts, read 496,214 times
I wouldn't help her. It sounds like her harley is more important to her than the house.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:33 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
How in the heck did she get THREE houses? No, don't give her any more money. Save it for your own wife and kids.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:34 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,916,356 times
Everyday I speak to people in similar situations facing losing their homes. You story "tops", what home owners tell me!

As for the "Bikes" - ask her what is more important, keeping the home, or living on the road.

Recently I had a client with a $900 per month car payment, and a mortgage payment of $1000. She was behind on her mortgage 6 months. She had tried to work on a modification to lower her payments, and she was rejected because her expenses were to high. After I reviewed her application - can you guess why she was rejected? I promptly told her to get rid of her car.

I agree with your wife - do not help her.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:27 PM

124 posts, read 528,541 times
Time for your sister to help herself. You and your wife work too hard for what you have to throw it away on someone who values a Harley over a home.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:34 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
If you give your sister more money for the house you are only enabling her pattern of irresponsible homeownership, in my opinion. You will not only be supporting her but also her live-in. Is this what a responsible adult expects of family members?

Hate to sound harsh but here goes: some people aren't meant to be homeowners. Your sister appears to be one of those people who should be a renter and not a homeowner.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:38 PM

68 posts, read 554,026 times
To say you gave it a college try would be an understatement.

Time for sister to grow up, accept responsibilities and become financially educated. I hope she's uttered at least one 'thank you' for the thousands you've thrown in her direction or perhaps a 'i'm sorry' for the conglomerated mess she seems to drag everyone else into.

Do not lend her another penny. And many, many kudos to you for helping as long as you did.

587 posts, read 2,178,803 times
is her harley paid off? if it is lend her the loot but have her sign over the harley title to you for collateral. If you give her a choice she cant get mad but if you flat out say no than she may hold that against you.

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
The best way for you to help her is to NOT help her. She is a big girl.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:53 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Your wife is right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance