Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:57 PM

272 posts, read 407,981 times

Advertisements

I had accumulated about 65,000 reward points on my American Express card, in the last year or so I got a bunch of hospital bills and my credit has gone to hell, I also havent used my American Express card in over 6 months and they sent me a letter saying they cancelled my credit card and with it they cancelled all my reward points

I called them and they pretty much said to write a letter to the member rewards staff but it sounds like I am **** out of luck, I have a feeling I am going to write them a letter and they will formally write back why my points were cancelled or some crap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 10:35 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
Can they do this? Yes. And they did.

Credit card companies are under no obligation of any kind to extend unsecured credit to anyone, anywhere, anytime.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:25 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
NO card...NO points. They go hand in hand.

I also have a AMX card with NO points from it's usage. Pay in FULL every month...NO balance.

I hear about people having a points working card but have never inquired if mine has that setup.

No big deal...managed without them for over 15 yrs...getting along just fine...Steve

Old 01-13-2009, 11:47 PM

272 posts, read 407,981 times
but how can they just take away 65,000 points like that? I understand if they want to take away they credit card and I dont really give a ****, but that is messed up if they take away 65,000 points with no warning, some people are really pushing the edge in this country, it doesnt take alot for someone to snap and give some due pay back to what corporate america has done to this diseased land

Old 01-14-2009, 02:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,793 times
Default Re :

Hi
[color=#333333]Some of the best credit cards and credit card offers may be available to you if your credit is good. Once you've determined that your credit is good, you can begin researching and determining what type of card you want.

Last edited by Global Friend; 01-15-2009 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: no advertising

Old 01-14-2009, 04:13 AM

378 posts, read 1,063,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdestroyedlife View Post
but how can they just take away 65,000 points like that? I understand if they want to take away they credit card and I dont really give a ****, but that is messed up if they take away 65,000 points with no warning, some people are really pushing the edge in this country, it doesnt take alot for someone to snap and give some due pay back to what corporate america has done to this diseased land
I know it sucks. I had the same thing happen. But they can do it and I think its because when you originally sign up for the card in the small print is says something about your credit and they may change terms at anytime on their condition and I think you have to be in good standing credit wise for the points.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:38 AM

877 posts, read 2,077,232 times
Points have no value until they are redeemed. Which is why I make it a point to make sure I keep as few points as possible on my card.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:54 AM

823 posts, read 2,215,978 times
Two words: CASH BACK . Your credit card company can't came after you for cash back you have already received. You may lose whatever you would have earned in that statement period but what you have accumulated in the past is yours to keep.

If that is not acceptable *always* use a rewards card that is not associated with credit card issuer. I have a Starwood Amex. My points are deposited into my Starwood account every month. If tomorrow Amex decided to close my card, my points would be safe. Starwood could care less what Amex does.

Credit card rewards are great, but like everything else you need to do the research to separate the good from the bad.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:11 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdestroyedlife View Post
The purpose of the points is to reward AND encourage loyalty... you "used to be" loyal, thus the accumulation of points, but you are "no longer" loyal, so card was canceled.. as someone else said, no card no points... no different than if you called to cancel your card, they wouldn't say "but we will keep the points on your canceled card so you can keep using them".... no longer a customer - no longer loyal - no longer a participant in the rewards program.

They are a marketing tool for loyalty - not an entitlement or a right - that entitlement mentality is what's wrong with America - more so than big bad corporate.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:05 PM

931 posts, read 3,803,215 times
Yep.

As soon as I get the bare minimum number of points that can buy an account credit for $25, I do it.
It's free money, and they can take that sh*t right back if they want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance