Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:48 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times

Advertisements

Doesn't this depend too on what state you live in? I thought if you lived in a community property state you could sign your spouse's name on almost anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 03:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I signed my husbands name for 30 years. My mom has signed my dads name for over 50. We both have joint checking and nobody ever questioned us. It's what many married people do. There was a time when married folk were considered "one" when it came to things like this. Now you can't even ask questions about your cable bill if you aren't the one named on the account. It's pathetic really.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:15 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
That is EXACTLY what goes on in my house. Hubby wants nothing to do with it at all. The two months he did it early in our marriage I was driven crazy and when I took it back the checkbook, it was all messed up because he kept it in his head.

It's been over 27 years. But I know should something happen to me, he'd be screwed. So I have a list of usernames and passwords, accounts and where they are and what they are, and our files are kept in immaculate order.

I remind him occasionally of where the stuff is.

And years ago, back in the dark ages when we got married, when you married you blended everything -- including money. That's how our parents did it, and that's how my sisters do it and that's how we did it. No mine and yours -- only ours.
I will say amen to your post,we are married now 56 years and all has been left up to me,husband,we are lucky to have to write 5 checks a year.Every thing paid ACH.My wife has account sheet in her dresser which I update and print out as necessary,as stated she would have rough time understanding everything.We are 100 percent one.
We just got all legal documents done by attorney.So no matter what we each have control for any decision over each other.Our daughter added to accounts as beneficiary,so no probate involved.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,663 times
my soon to be ex-wife, going thru a divorce, deposited the tax refund checks and forged my name , is this illegal

Old 07-26-2014, 11:27 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Worked in banking for over 10 years. You CAN sign on the back of the check "for deposit only" along w/ the account number and deposit it into a JOINT account or an account w/ just her name on it and it IS OKAY and legal. As long as you are DEPOSITING the funds and NOT cashing it or getting funds back. Unless there is more than 1 check in the deposit and some are made out to you that equal the amount in cash back.

You can always order a rubber stamp with both your name and her name on it w/ the banks name and bank account number and stamp the back of ALL checks as long as they are being DEPOSITED and NO CASH BACK.

As for your wife signing the check and then just handing it over to you........... if the check is going to be sitting around for any time ANYONE can get ahold of it and cash it. This is just as good as a blank check w/ the signature on it. Sure most banks are to check the validity of such but someone could have a friend cash it for them. Getting the rubber stamp is probably the best route to go. Of course I'd talk to your bank officer to make sure they know what is going on and they can instruct their tellers of PROPER bank regulations that a "for deposit only" endorsement IS allowed and LEGAL on all checks to be deposited. UNLESS it is a "bank draft" and THEN it would REQUIRE every single person signature that it is made out to. Most likely her payroll check is not such. These are usually going to be insurance checks for claims.
This is correct (and quite complete!) in the state where I live. I don't know the NJ regulations.

Tellers are not experts on bank regulations. They do as they are told. Ask a bank officer and you will have a better chance of getting correct information.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,441 times
Can I drop my friends deposit slip and check off at the bank

Old 02-13-2015, 05:33 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraiser1 View Post
Can I drop my friends deposit slip and check off at the bank
What??? are you an idiot?

Old 02-14-2015, 01:15 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
My husband and I endorse each others checks and we do a simple mobile deposit ( cell phone).

Old 02-14-2015, 12:58 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,230 times
Talk about a thread going on and on when the answer is simple...
The check can be deposited. just put for deposit only on the back...geez
Hasn't this answer been given more than once already...

Old 02-14-2015, 01:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
My husband and I endorse each others checks and we do a simple mobile deposit ( cell phone).
As long as the other does not protest the signature there is no problem in that. After all Forgery is a crime and depends on a compliant by the person whose name has been forged to be filed. No compliant; no crime. In time it maybe as signatures are scanned by computer against the known sample on file done in presents as security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance