Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:21 PM

622 posts, read 3,113,157 times

Advertisements

I've been signing the back of her paychecks and depositing them into our joint checking account for many years. Yesterday I was told that she needed to sign the check or they couldn't deposit it into the account.

I asked if there was some kind of consent form we could fill out to allow me to deposit the checks, but that wasn't possible. We've done consent forms before with CC or brokerage accounts, but apparently not possible with checking accounts.

Anyone have any input on this? Is it just my bank doing this, or is this the norm? Valley National Bank, btw.

It's not a really big deal, but If I could do it, I will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 12:28 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,337 times
I ran into this at Bank of America ONLY when I tried to deposit the cheque into the bank personally. They told me to write "for deposit only" on the back and that'll work? I just continued depositing through the ATM and I've never had an issue that way.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:29 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
I've been signing the back of her paychecks and depositing them into our joint checking account for many years. Yesterday I was told that she needed to sign the check or they couldn't deposit it into the account.

I asked if there was some kind of consent form we could fill out to allow me to deposit the checks, but that wasn't possible. We've done consent forms before with CC or brokerage accounts, but apparently not possible with checking accounts.

Anyone have any input on this? Is it just my bank doing this, or is this the norm? Valley National Bank, btw.

It's not a really big deal, but If I could do it, I will.
Why isn't she endorsing them herself before she hands them over to you? Seems like a simple thing??

Old 02-03-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
They told me to write "for deposit only" on the back and that'll work? .

Hmmm, wouldn't mind doing that. I asked the teller if there was any way around the issue for the future. I wish she would have told me that. I'm just trying to keep the finances running smoothly, instead of having to remind my wife tio sign the check and not be able to make a bank run if she doesn't do it.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Why isn't she endorsing them herself before she hands them over to you? Seems like a simple thing??

Yes, that's why I said it was no big deal. I do the finances and mostly get them done during the day when my wife is a t work. The mail would come in, I do all the necessary paperwork, and sometimes go to the bank, or keep everything in the office to go another day etc.. It's a simple inconvenience to remember to bring the check out and have her sign it. Not a huge deal, but I've definitely had a few occasions where we forgot and I couldn't cash the check. This is how I started signing it and was able to deposit it. I've been doing it for years now.... until yesterday. lol

Old 02-03-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, wouldn't mind doing that. I asked the teller if there was any way around the issue for the future. I wish she would have told me that. I'm just trying to keep the finances running smoothly, instead of having to remind my wife tio sign the check and not be able to make a bank run if she doesn't do it.
Simple. She should be responsible enough to sign it before handing it to you, or set it up for direct deposit.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Simple. She should be responsible enough to sign it before handing it to you, or set it up for direct deposit.
We get the checks in the mail, and sometimes I go to the bank before she comes home from work.

YES, I understand her signing the checks would do the trick. I'm just asking if there was an option where I could do it without her. That's all. Again, it's not that big of a deal. It's the same as me handing her the phone every time I talk to customer service about our brokerage accounts or cc accountsetc... It's not that difficult, but it's a little inconvenient. If I could do it, I will. Has anyone done this? IWe've done it with all our other accounts, as I do ALL the finances, yes, even signing the back of the checks. lol

Unfortunately, no direct deposit for this company. I loved it when we had it.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, no direct deposit for this company. I loved it when we had it.
Ew. That's pretty backward of them not to have DD

Old 02-03-2009, 12:49 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Signing another persons name to a "Legal" document in this case a check is considered "Forgery".

Spouse or not still a NO NO.

Then again I learned how to forge anyones signature over 50 yrs ago. Only a EXPERT would be able to tell the difference. NEW car and USED car lots (many) do that many times sorry to say. Steve

Old 02-03-2009, 12:54 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,952,205 times
I would say it's illegal to sign your wife's checks. Suppose you had marital problems and she signed and cashed all your checks? I do all the banking and have my wife signs her checks to be put in a joint account. If I were to cash it, I would endorse also. The bank is protecting you and them, and I don't blame them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance