Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:40 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,540,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post

Yup I would agree. The credit industry does a good job telling people that racking up debt and defaulting is somehow unethical. While entirely forgetting this country was founded on a strong entrepreneurship interest. Which means we have bankruptcy because we want people to be innovative and take risks. If everything goes south, you can just file for bankruptcy and start over. Nothing wrong with that.
Surely you must realize there is a difference in debt from a 46" Plasma, ipods, stainless steel appliances, etc. vs. walking from debt from a failed business.

One was someone simply being irresponsible and the other was someone trying to create something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 05:47 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,442,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Before stores had to deal with bad debt due to bad checks. CC eliminated that problem for them. Even in a cash only system there is the overhead of collecting the cash and transferring it to the bank. Shoplifting also affects the price we pay for goods. It is all part of doing business.
Not to mention counterfeiting.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:17 PM

8,650 posts, read 17,281,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
You all just figured out credit cards are a rip off. I've known that for several decades.
But some feel that they are rich with them...LOL

Last edited by Houston3; 02-24-2009 at 06:29 PM..

Old 02-24-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Not to mention counterfeiting.
I'd be willing to bet more is stolen from counterfeit credit cards and stolen credit cards then there is from counterfeit money. It takes people years to fix their stolen ID, it they can fix it at all....

Last edited by Houston3; 02-24-2009 at 06:32 PM..

Old 02-24-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I do that too. And when I get my statement I check all my receipts to make sure they are all my charges.
I met someone recently who didn't notice a monthly withdrawal of $40 from her checking account for 10 months. It was one of those trial memberships that she didn't cancel. Any money taken over 60 days was gone.
This person could have checked her checking account every month too, they do send a monthly statement. If they didn't check that they wouldn't have checked the credit card statement either.

So that's a wash.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:52 PM

960 posts, read 1,168,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I'd be willing to bet more is stolen from counterfeit credit cards and stolen credit cards then there is from counterfeit money.
Good point, and probably true by a factor of 100 at least. The people who carry balances on their card(s) pay for this theft in the form of higher interest rates. The banks don't really care about the theft as long as the customer base is paying for it.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:04 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,552,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
So the Credit Card is the force that makes people act without taking responsibility for their actions?

I don't think so. I don't spend any more on a credit card than I would with cash or funds on hand.

Yes, tragic circumstances can befall anybody. But that doesn't excuse prudent management of their finances.

The bottom line is to not spend what you can't afford to pay back. If that means a little self-restraint and waiting to buy something until you can afford it, so be it. Keep those credit cards paid off every month ....
Good points...but how many people actually are responsible? I'd bet there is more irresponsible spending compared to those who use credit cards responsibly.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
Good point, and probably true by a factor of 100 at least. The people who carry balances on their card(s) pay for this theft in the form of higher interest rates. The banks don't really care about the theft as long as the customer base is paying for it.
Not only that but a lot of banks would have gone broke years ago if not for credit cards, it's their highest profit service.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:46 AM

20,184 posts, read 23,923,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmac View Post
Good points...but how many people actually are responsible? I'd bet there is more irresponsible spending compared to those who use credit cards responsibly.
Are you suggesting that we give credit cards only to responsible people? Cause I have zero problems with credit cards... In fact my cash back is fantastic.... the problem seems to be irresponsible payers being penalized, how about this... if a payer is penalized they would lose all credit card privileges (every single charge, debit, and credit card is revoked) permanently until the debt is paid back + 10000% interest otherwise they are not penalized, meaning they owe ZERO.... there is only a penalty when they want to continue using credit cards, charge cards, etc in which case they would have to pay an absurd amount of money... I wonder if they would complain? Since they owe nothing unless they "want" these privileges back... credit card is privilege, not a right...

Old 02-25-2009, 09:06 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,607,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
Wanna race? I do try to have the cash in hand before the purchase is tallied.
You're on
Many point of sales allow you to swipe your CC or Debit card before that cashier has even finished scanning your order. I'll be headed toward the door while the cashier is still putting your cash in the till.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance