Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 11:00 AM

136 posts, read 516,097 times

Advertisements

I get a letter from Capital One stating that due to the present economic conditions they are raising my interest rate from 7.9 to 17.9!!!! I am not happy about it and apparently I am not alone. I checked with consumer affairs and all customers in good standing are getting the same increase and some are even higher. They give you the option to opt out which means you close your account and pay at the existing terms which affects your credit score. Is anyone out there a Capital One customer with the same issue and how are you going to handle it? Does anyone know how much your credit score would be lowered by opting out? Please post any info or experience you have with this. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 12:19 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,007,364 times
I have 2 Capital One accounts. One platinum and one gold, I received that notice a couple of weeks ago. They were raising the purchase rate on my platinum card, but not the gold. I paid off the card and closed the account. Since it's only a $500 dollar limit (gold account is $2500) and I'm not going to be making any major purchases soon, I figured even if it lowered my FICO score a few points it was worth it.

I might of kept it open except they not only raised my rate, but changed it from a fixed to a variable and I refuse to have any variable rate, because they never seem to go down only up.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:40 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,476,826 times
Yes, I got one that said if I am late the interest rate goes to 28% or some crazy number. So, I paid it off to avoid interest no matter what they wanted to charge.

If you are mailing your payments in vs paying online, be careful. I think they are sitting on payments until the day after they are due to post them. I have had several people tell me they mailed payments way in advance, 10 days, and the payments posted 1 day after the due date.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:43 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,202,868 times
I have a Capital One card I don't use anymore. Haven't gotten any notice like yours. Why don't you just simply stop using it?! There's no need to close it. If you have a balance, transfer it to another card and forget about them as I did after they annoyed me enough.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:55 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,411,735 times
I agree with Sierra. Keep your card and transfer the balance and then pay off your debt.

I have 2 chase cards and the rate was raised 5% recently.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,709,611 times
A Banker friend of mine said credit cards are doing this to brace for a hefty round of inflation they predict is around the corner...

Who knows if this is the case...

I do find it interesting the US Bankruptcy Laws changed ahead of record bankruptcy filings and now interest rates are going up at a time when people aren't looking to borrow???

Maybe those in the know, know what's coming down the line and the rest of us will be stuck with the aftermath?

Old 03-02-2009, 07:52 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,294,089 times
They are raising mine also,I had a fixed rate and now they are changing it to a variable rate something like 14.64% plus prime. It's rediculous.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:31 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,007,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I have a Capital One card I don't use anymore. Haven't gotten any notice like yours. Why don't you just simply stop using it?! There's no need to close it. If you have a balance, transfer it to another card and forget about them as I did after they annoyed me enough.

Part of the reason I cancelled mine was it charged a monthly member fee. I figured since I wasn't using it, I wasn't going to pay $4/month for just having it sit in my wallet.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:11 PM

901 posts, read 2,989,029 times
It's not just Capital One. Another company raised my rate from 11% to 17%. I don't have a balance, so it does not affect me. Still, I think it's messed up since I've had the card for years and never paid late. The limit is $15,000 and I've never had more than $1,000 on it. All CCs are messing with their customers

Old 03-02-2009, 10:27 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,202,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
It's not just Capital One. Another company raised my rate from 11% to 17%. I don't have a balance, so it does not affect me. Still, I think it's messed up since I've had the card for years and never paid late. The limit is $15,000 and I've never had more than $1,000 on it. All CCs are messing with their customers
Weird. I haven't had the terms changed on any of my CCs. Only Discover lowered the rate by 1% some time ago on its own in the hope they'd make me carry a balance, I suppose, as I use it exclusively for all my expenses I can possibly load on it. I have to say MBNA (B of A now) declined to match a lower rate, though. I got some offer for 7.99% and just out of curiosity called them to see what they'd do (theirs is 8.99), but they didn't budge. I've never carried a balance, but still like the idea of having at least one card with a decent rate need be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance