Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:37 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,642,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I don't handle credit very well (except for the big stuff like mortgage and car loans) and would prefer to have lesser access to it. I know, this will reflect on me negatively but I feel that I abused my CCs in the past and I need to learn to use them effectively.
It is difficult to make the effort to learn from our mistakes instead of blindly repeating them. The fact that you recognize that you need to devote some attention to handling this part of your life actually reflects on you quite positively in my eyes. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Its not the reduced credit limit that affects your score, its the amount you owe as a percentage of your credit limit that will affect your FICO. Yes-in your situation its sounds that paying off your balance will impact your FICO because they are also reducing your limit but that doesn't mean that you should not continue to pay it off. Once you pay off those balances and be responsible about your credit, your FICO will recover. The worst thing you can do right now is stop paying off your balances just because of what it might mean to your FICO score.

I owe about $100,000 in credit cards at an APR of 8% so I haven't been in a hurry to pay them off quickly. I now have the cash to pay them off in full but if I do I know they will reduce my credit line which in turn will effect my credit score. This happened on one of my credit cards that I paid off in full $20,000 and my credit line was reduced to $500.
How can I pay them off without and keep my credit line and most importantly also keep my credit score.
I've never been late and am technically a perfect customer.

Thank you for your help.

Bryan

Old 08-22-2009, 12:43 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,431,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptos View Post
Yes, I am paying down the other CC. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will not reduce my limit (they're a small credit union).
Us Credit Unions are pretty cool...they shouldn't lower your limit.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:05 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,755,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanm007 View Post
I owe about $100,000 in credit cards at an APR of 8% so I haven't been in a hurry to pay them off quickly. I now have the cash to pay them off in full but if I do I know they will reduce my credit line which in turn will effect my credit score. This happened on one of my credit cards that I paid off in full $20,000 and my credit line was reduced to $500.
How can I pay them off without and keep my credit line and most importantly also keep my credit score.

Thank you for your help.

Bryan
Credit scores are based on utilization. So if you have available credit of $1000 and $0 balance your utilization is 0%.
If you have 10k balance and 10k available credit then your utilization is 100%.
The first case would give you a better score even though the credit line is lower.

The most important part is that you do not pay 8% interest. That is a lot of your hard earned money.
Do keep some cash in hand as an emergency fund though.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:50 AM

14,568 posts, read 23,096,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Credit scores are based on utilization. So if you have available credit of $1000 and $0 balance your utilization is 0%.
If you have 10k balance and 10k available credit then your utilization is 100%.
The first case would give you a better score even though the credit line is lower.
This is correct. It's best to keep your utilization under 30%.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:20 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,504,481 times
Quote:
I owe about $100,000 in credit cards at an APR of 8% so I haven't been in a hurry to pay them off quickly. I now have the cash to pay them off in full but if I do I know they will reduce my credit line which in turn will effect my credit score.
I don't know your financial situation, but this sounds like a penny wise, pound foolish approach to me. Why pay that 8% interest if you don't have to? That is $8000/year JUST going for interest! All that money just to preserve a credit line or FICO score? Talk about the tail wagging the dog...

Quote:
This happened on one of my credit cards that I paid off in full $20,000 and my credit line was reduced to $500.
The credit card company reduced your limit on that card to $500 because it sees you as a risk. They are worried that with 100K of credit card debt that you are going to go into default. They chopped your limit to prevent you from maxing out the credit line too. Having 100K is seen as a HUGE RISK to them and you are making them nervous by borrowing so much of your limit.

Quote:

Thank you for your help.

Bryan
Why do you need a credit line exactly? Why do you want to be a perfect customer for them? I don't get this line of thinking...

Old 08-24-2009, 10:41 AM

768 posts, read 1,089,217 times
You Are Much More Than Your Credit Score « Consentwithdrawn’s Blog (http://consentwithdrawn.wordpress.com/2009/03/17/you-are-much-more-than-your-credit-score/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance