Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:22 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,788,885 times

Advertisements

Here is one that I don't know the answer to.

My wife has two personal credit cards (as do I). Each of her cards has a limit of $2,000 exactly ($4,000 total). Knowing her habits, I do not let her touch one of them. I simply keep that card open so that she can never go over half of her total credit line if she were to max out one card - so that her credit score can stay decently good.

But her current balance on the one card she uses is approaching $1,400 - and it has me thinking about my theory.

Am I correct in assuming the following?:

If she were to max out this card at $2,000, it would still only be half of her total credit line when you take into account all cards. So, in this case, it would not hugely affect her credit score - but instead, she simply would not be able to use the maxed card at all until she pays it down some? - forcing her to budget and only spend what she makes.

If I am correct, this would be a financial lesson I would love for her to learn (being forced to only spend what you can pay and have to budget) and to me, it would be worth 2k ... but on the same hand, it is totally not worth sacrificing her credit rating if my "let her learn a lesson" theory is wrong. So, that is why I am asking for advice.

I have never maxed out a credit card or come anywhere close, so I do not know what happens with your score or credit standing if that happens ... even if it would not be near maxing out your overall credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 08:42 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,873,759 times
You are wrong about this. If she maxes out only one credit card her credit score goes down south. I have maybe 25 000 Dollars in credit card limits. Maxed out one card once ( 1k ) and my score went down a lot.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:12 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,755,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Here is one that I don't know the answer to.

My wife has two personal credit cards (as do I). Each of her cards has a limit of $2,000 exactly ($4,000 total). Knowing her habits, I do not let her touch one of them. I simply keep that card open so that she can never go over half of her total credit line if she were to max out one card - so that her credit score can stay decently good.
Is your wife young and doesn't really understand how credit cards work? Or is she just the type of person who has to have what she wants when she wants it?
If she doesn't understand how cc work then when the statement arrives set up a time to go over it with her. Don't just glance over it. Have her collect all the receipts and check off each one. This is important because when she actually looks at the receipts it will remind her of the purchase. She may not even remember how much she paid for that shirt she had to have. It may be in the closet long forgotten. After that add them all up and compare the number to her paycheck. Then look at how much money your interest and fees in the statement is. Say things like oh $50 we could've eaten at a nice restaurant with that. Maybe she will have a light bulb moment after that. If she is not good at math get actual cash to show her.

Good luck

Old 03-04-2009, 12:14 AM

458 posts, read 1,672,204 times
Ick. It sounds like you are talking about one of your children rather than a spouse. If she can't handle spending less than you guys make, maybe financial counseling is your best option.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:19 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,465,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriwx View Post
Ick. It sounds like you are talking about one of your children rather than a spouse. If she can't handle spending less than you guys make, maybe financial counseling is your best option.
THANK YOU, may the gods save me from ever having a man in my life who thinks he has to teach me a lesson on any topic.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:28 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,755,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriwx View Post
Ick. It sounds like you are talking about one of your children rather than a spouse.
I thought that too but there are people out there that are clueless about money so I gave the OP the benefit of the doubt.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:28 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,070,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
THANK YOU, may the gods save me from ever having a man in my life who thinks he has to teach me a lesson on any topic.
Yes, thank you! She's the OP's wife - not his child!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:27 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,643,201 times
Why in the world would you just sit back smugly and watch while your wife digs herself into a financial hole she may never work her way out of? The time to show her how to manage her credit cards is right now, before that balance gets any higher and before the over the limit charges and interest rate increases happen. Her finances will effect you one way or another, you should deal with this now in a supportive way, working towards your common goals.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:35 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,788,885 times
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the assumptions and speculation regarding the dynamics of our relationship ... instead of just simply answering my specific credit-based question.

I don't feel the need to defend myself by providing every backdrop detail of this situation, but let's just say that I am far from the mean, controlling guy some of you imply. Let's just say that the wife and I have very different philosophies on money. We used to have a joint account, but she was feeling "restricted" because I keep detailed records and made sure we did not spend more than we earned. She is a spender who lives for today and I am a saver who plans for tomorrow. So we decided to separate accounts, and split the bills based on income percentage (I make 3 times more than she does). Problem is, she doesn't keep receipts or records or live by debit ... but wants her own account. Instead, she wants to use credit and pay what she can on it each month. So I said fine, show me what you can do and don't build up much debt or we'll have to go back to a joint account. She agreed. Now she is also very, very independent and we are both somewhat young (I'm 28 and she is 24), so any lessons she learns on finances' will not come from my mouth as I am simply seen as the buzz-kill controlling man in that situation. So, she will have to learn the tough way ... as I did years ago. Luckily, her limit of $2,000 would not kill me to pay if I ever had to bail her out. I just don't want her credit rating to get hurt (hense my question) while life (the best teacher) teaches her about finances, as that would affect both of us down the road. My credit is great right now and hers is good, and it would be great if it stayed that way.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:40 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,257,541 times
oscottscotto. you'd better take her cards away from her.....you know how the ladies are when they see that new pair of shoes....

Just joking Ladies.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance