Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:28 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,525,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The only solid advice here is for you to get a lawyer to keep this judgment from going into default with a bench warrant then being issued to arrest your partner.

Not getting a lawyer now is one of the worst things you could do. There are lawyers that work "pro bono" to help the poor and cash strapped so look for one. It's better than jail...............

Do NOT let this post scare or intimidate you....

Her boyfriend/fiance' can NOT be arrested as there is no such thing as debtors jail.

Keep very good notes, don't let these people intimidate you and if you were not served properly you can have the judgment thrown out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 08:30 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,525,831 times
Quote:
See my comments in blue.

there is no contempt of court.....there is no warrant or arrest.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:54 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,084,295 times
Quote:
Wrong. Civil or not if the creditor wants to press for it the court can issue a bench warrant for contempt of court.
The creditor can push for it all they want, but it's NOT going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Not necessarily, some credit cards are now having their users sign a confession of judgment in the small print, meaning they dont need to notify a creditor that they intend to sue. If the credit card agreement does not include this confession of judgment you are correct, one can go back and have the judgment thrown out but its an uphill battle.
That's the first I've heard of that. Even if that's true (guess you can't put anything past the credit card companies) it would NEVER stand up in court.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:08 PM

93 posts, read 646,226 times
There are very few states that would allow the confession of judgment...and none I know of that uphold it.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:01 PM

23,723 posts, read 12,594,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
What the hell are you talking about? This is a civil judgment. Her fiance isn't going to be arrested over this. Geez.

Sunshine, what you need to do is try to get the judgment thrown out. If you were served after the case had already happened it should be very easy to do.

What state do you live in?

Who was sued? You, your fiance, or both?
Good comments and questions.

OP, along with the questions Bosco asked, how long has it been since your fiance learned of the judgment?

Your fiance only has a short time, generally a year, to try to vacate the judgment for improper service, if service was improper. Your fiance needs to go to the court clerk where the judgment happened and get a copy of the recorded judgment. He needs to look over the service papers to find out how they claimed to serve him. He also needs to look up his states Rules of Civil Procedure (RCP) to learn what constitutes proper service in his state.

Quote:
Wrong. Civil or not if the creditor wants to press for it the court can issue a bench warrant for contempt of court.

See my comments in blue.
On what grounds? Fraud? Failing to show up for an asset hearing? Those are the only things that can possibly lead to a bench warrant and I strongly doubt a default on the account that had been paid on would fall under fraud and the OP never mentioned the court ordering an asset hearing.

As for someones comment .. "they can have their assets put up for sheriff sale to help pay the judgment"
That would depend on what the judgment debtor owns and the exemption statutes in their state. Just by what the OP posted it's likely that the fiance falls well within the exemption statutes and asset seizure and sale will probably not happen, though a bank account is up for grabs and, depending on the state, wage garnishment might happen.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:10 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,691,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Good comments and questions.

OP, along with the questions Bosco asked, how long has it been since your fiance learned of the judgment?

Your fiance only has a short time, generally a year, to try to vacate the judgment for improper service, if service was improper. Your fiance needs to go to the court clerk where the judgment happened and get a copy of the recorded judgment. He needs to look over the service papers to find out how they claimed to serve him. He also needs to look up his states Rules of Civil Procedure (RCP) to learn what constitutes proper service in his state.

On what grounds? Fraud? Failing to show up for an asset hearing? Those are the only things that can possibly lead to a bench warrant and I strongly doubt a default on the account that had been paid on would fall under fraud and the OP never mentioned the court ordering an asset hearing.

As for someones comment .. "they can have their assets put up for sheriff sale to help pay the judgment"
That would depend on what the judgment debtor owns and the exemption statutes in their state. Just by what the OP posted it's likely that the fiance falls well within the exemption statutes and asset seizure and sale will probably not happen, though a bank account is up for grabs and, depending on the state, wage garnishment might happen.
I know I'm not a lawyer and I doubt that you are so I based my advice on what I have witnessed with my neighbor next door. He thought that all he had to do was ignore the judgement right up to the day the sheriff came to arrest him for contempt.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:23 PM

23,723 posts, read 12,594,423 times
Quote:
I know I'm not a lawyer and I doubt that you are so I based my advice on what I have witnessed with my neighbor next door. He thought that all he had to do was ignore the judgement right up to the day the sheriff came to arrest him for contempt.
You say that you saw your neighbor being arrested for contempt but you didn't include why he was in contempt. There has to be grounds for contempt, so, what were the grounds for the contempt order? Did you read the arrest order?

If he ignored the judgment than he probably ignored the court ordered asset hearing too, which could lead to an arrest.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:53 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,691,986 times
Quote:
You say that you saw your neighbor being arrested for contempt but you didn't include why he was in contempt. There has to be grounds for contempt, so, what were the grounds for the contempt order? Did you read the arrest order?

If he ignored the judgment than he probably ignored the court ordered asset hearing too, which could lead to an arrest.
I'm glad that you do agree that there are circumstances that will lead to arrest. Where did you get your law degree?

I will now not comment on this topic further since I have no desire to harm the OP since they already have a bunch of trouble to deal with as it is. If you want to disagree with me further take it off the boards to a PM and we can debate to no end.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That's the first I've heard of that. Even if that's true (guess you can't put anything past the credit card companies) it would NEVER stand up in court.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytrish View Post
There are very few states that would allow the confession of judgment...and none I know of that uphold it.
Understanding Unfair or Deceptive Acts and Practices Prohibited Under Regulation AA and §5(a) of the Federal Trade Commission Act - Compliance Corner: Second Quarter 2007 - Philadelphia Fed

Looks like I'm out of date and the law was changed in 2007 to no longer allow "Confession of Judgments" I stand corrected.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:35 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Quote:
Hopefully this link is correct
WikiAnswers - Can you be arrested for credit card debt
You cannot actually be arrested for Credit Card debt. Being in debt and owing money in general is a civil issue, not a criminal issue. Technically you did not steal the money, you and the credit card company have an agreement that you will borrow the money and pay it back when you can. If you dont pay it back, the credit card companies can sue you, and since the state usually upholds contracts, courts and subpoena you to appear in court. If you dont appear in court when requested, thats when they can put an arrest warrant out for you. But you would be arrested for failure to appear in court, not credit card debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance