Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 05:16 PM

6 posts, read 20,595 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am new to this website. I have a question that no one seems to be able to answer for me. My Fiance and I have been together almost 6 years now. Back in 2005 he had to have a back surgery. We were both "young and dumb" He went and got a 3,000 credit card at a local bank. We paid off a little loan with half of it and the other half we blew. He stayed down about 6 months after surgery, with no income. Well about half way through our 6 months of being down, someone told us we could draw workmans comp (his back surgery was because he got hurt at work!) LONG STORY SHORT, We never paid this credit card off. We got court papers AFTER the court hearing, which we werent there so they did a default and there is a judgement against my fiance. The Lawyers office representing the bank wants us to pay 150.00 a month, and 75 of that is interest. We cannot afford to do this. I want us to be able to pay this off but at this rate its awful and will take forever!! The lawyer says the debt is close to 6,000 now. because of court costs and fees. Is there anything we can do?? We have other bills as well and we are still young. In our early 20s. What are our options?? We're paying on something that is hurting his credit to where we cannot get anything at all. No one will loan him money to pay this off, We have other bills we pay ON TIME EVERY MONTH but still, no one will do this with a judgement on his file. PLEASE HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 05:44 PM

93 posts, read 646,146 times
Were you ever served with papers before the court date? You said you got papers after the court date-do you mean the summons? Or a copy of the judgment?
If you really were never properly served, you can have the judgment thrown out.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:50 PM

No... The paper we received telling us we had a court date, was recieved after the court date. Then a couple weeks later we received the judgement. It's so confusing, and it's been so long I think if I said "oh we received these papers after the court date" they would call me a liar. I've thought about bankruptcy but I dont know if that would go into that category?? I hate to do that because even though back then we had ALOT of late payments, I still made them. We had the credit and now were paying it back... so Bankruptcy doesnt sit well with me. We're still paying on alot of things from back then. It's just aggravating to deal with this one thing that is killing his credit score. you know?

Old 10-24-2009, 10:21 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Contact them directly, tell them what you said here--that you never got a notice that you were supposed to go to court.

Then tell them how much you WILL be able to pay per month and ask them that if you agree to pay that much per month, can they reduce the total amount due (try this--usually they will knock off around 20%). It is much better if you approach them--people who don't run from the debt are treated much more leniently. Then make the payments as agreed.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:53 AM

Well, When we try to talk to them, they never call us back. I asked for them to send me a list of the payments we had made, showing payoff and all. It took them 2 months to get it to me. I made a payment Jan 1st, they added it to my account in late february, so it showed I missed Januarys payment when I really didnt. its a huge mess. They said they would take 4,500. Is that good??? Hell the actual card was for 3,000. their still adding their fees.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:22 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,687,683 times
The only solid advice here is for you to get a lawyer to keep this judgment from going into default with a bench warrant then being issued to arrest your partner.

Not getting a lawyer now is one of the worst things you could do. There are lawyers that work "pro bono" to help the poor and cash strapped so look for one. It's better than jail...............

Old 10-25-2009, 12:27 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The only solid advice here is for you to get a lawyer to keep this judgment from going into default with a bench warrant then being issued to arrest your partner.

Not getting a lawyer now is one of the worst things you could do. There are lawyers that work "pro bono" to help the poor and cash strapped so look for one. It's better than jail...............
What the hell are you talking about? This is a civil judgment. Her fiance isn't going to be arrested over this. Geez.

Sunshine, what you need to do is try to get the judgment thrown out. If you were served after the case had already happened it should be very easy to do.

What state do you live in?

Who was sued? You, your fiance, or both?

Old 10-25-2009, 03:18 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,687,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
What the hell are you talking about? This is a civil judgment. Her fiance isn't going to be arrested over this. Geez.

Wrong. Civil or not if the creditor wants to press for it the court can issue a bench warrant for contempt of court.

Sunshine, what you need to do is try to get the judgment thrown out. If you were served after the case had already happened it should be very easy to do.

Agreed which is why she needs a lawyer to help her. NOW!

What state do you live in?

Who was sued? You, your fiance, or both?
See my comments in blue.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:49 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytrish View Post
Were you ever served with papers before the court date? You said you got papers after the court date-do you mean the summons? Or a copy of the judgment?
If you really were never properly served, you can have the judgment thrown out.
Not necessarily, some credit cards are now having their users sign a confession of judgment in the small print, meaning they dont need to notify a creditor that they intend to sue. If the credit card agreement does not include this confession of judgment you are correct, one can go back and have the judgment thrown out but its an uphill battle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine009 View Post
Well, When we try to talk to them, they never call us back. I asked for them to send me a list of the payments we had made, showing payoff and all. It took them 2 months to get it to me. I made a payment Jan 1st, they added it to my account in late february, so it showed I missed Januarys payment when I really didnt. its a huge mess. They said they would take 4,500. Is that good??? Hell the actual card was for 3,000. their still adding their fees.
If you originally owed $3,000 I wouldnt agree to pay more than that. The problem is, unless you can pay it off all in one lump then they are in the driving seat with a judgment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I agree, they arent going to be arrested, but they can have their assets put up for sheriff sale to help pay the judgment.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:13 PM

93 posts, read 646,146 times
Go to the clerk of court and file a motion to vacate judgment. Cite the reason as being that you were never sued. If they cannot prove that you were properly sued..i.e. sheriff served papers, they were signed for via certified mail, etc... the judge will throw it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance