Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 09:57 AM

615 posts, read 1,383,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishinaz View Post
401K: $12K
Roth Ira: 17k
Pension: $3k
Savings/Trust: $387k
Brokerage: 75k
House: $250K

Debt:
House Mortgage: $118K

Large savings is due to a inheritance, if it was not for my inheritance I would not have as much saved as I do now.
Thank you for your honesty about your inheritance. Most people won't be honest about it as they want to claim that they "earned it all" on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I doubt this forum will attract them but I suspect a lot of people out in the world in their 20's, 30's, and even 40's have no retirement savings, and perhaps no savings account either...what do these people rely on or how do they generally get by when they can no longer work?

My information:

26, single

$1,500 in 401k, just started my full time job in November, growth has been sluggish, about 2% so far.
$6,000 in a Roth IRA mutual fund, have had that one for a little over 3 years.
$2,500 in mixed savings accounts through the bank, my emergency fund for whatever life throws at me, contribute to it every day.

At age 23 I had $0 in savings to my name, just the thousand or so in my checking account.
You are correct, that are a ton of biases in the responses here. Additionally, you don't know who is actually telling the truth and who is randomly pulling numbers out of their arse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racks View Post
25 years old
$135k investments [from an inheritance, don't know why more people can't be honest about it...]

$4k in 401k [my own]
$20k savings [my own]
Thank you for your honesty. Most people are full of it and want to contribute all the good things in life to their "pure skills" and all the bad things to simply "bad luck". Most people are narcissistic, selfish, and egotistical maniacs they have the need to constantly take selfies and post them on social media sites in an attempt to show others how great their life is. Others have the need to brag or lie about how much money they have or earn on City Data.

A lot of things that happen in life involve luck and randomness. I highly recommend a book titled "Fooled By Randomness" by Dr. Nassim Taleb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
My retirement savings isn't as impressive as most on this board, but I finished undergraduate later than some (25) and came from a poor family (no inheritance).

Traditional 401k: $14,000
Roth 401k: $13,000

Upside is no student loans though! Plus two liquid six-month emergency funds! :-D I'm doing okay, right? ... Right?
Yes, you are doing well for your age, and your numbers are in line with someone that is actually earning and saving their money by living a responsible lifestyle. Do you have no student loans because you paid them all off or did you receive money from others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 05:19 AM

78 posts, read 134,487 times
I am 27, business owner.
Do not have a 401k or any other investment except my business which i grow it by 50k to 100k every year for the past two years, but 6 yrs active.
And buying a second house, closing within a month. So, will beco e a landlord soon, will rent it out to family so i wont make anything just pay mortgage on it.

Networth would be hard to tell.
In property i have 200k if i sell tomorrow. Business and cash thats where it gets tricky. But if i tried to liquidate everything that is merchadise i probably have another 200k. While i give my business a value of 1.2 million to 1.6 million.
So i would say my networth is around 400 to 500k. Planning to have it at 1 million by the time i turn 30.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:06 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,674,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
Yes, you are doing well for your age, and your numbers are in line with someone that is actually earning and saving their money by living a responsible lifestyle. Do you have no student loans because you paid them all off or did you receive money from others?
Neither. I went to a public land grant school, so tuition was only ~$2,500 a semester, and worked at Chili's my Freshman/Sophomore year and as a TA/RA my Junior and Senior years, while accepting a couple "need-based" grants/scholarships each year (usually about $2,000 a semester).

It was tight, but university can be done without money from others or debt (well, at least it could from 2007-2011). My grandpa did buy me a laptop computer though when I was a Freshman and gave me a few hundred dollars for a summer course I took out of state. Still have the laptop today

Old 04-16-2015, 06:02 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,429,986 times
I am 60 and have $1.3 million in my IRA. Started early and strong with a company match of dollar for dollar on the first 6 %. Every raise I took 50% and the 401K took 50%. Wife and I between IRA's and deferred income have another $1 million. Have an old fashioned pension to boot. Should be in good shape unless Christie gets in office.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:43 AM

15,813 posts, read 20,582,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Wife and I between IRA's and deferred income have another $1 million. Have an old fashioned pension to boot. Should be in good shape unless Christie gets in office.
Knocking on that $80K threshold where the gov't says "you don't need your SS so we'll just keep your money"

(That's if Christies hypothetical plan gets rolled out)

Old 04-17-2015, 04:03 PM

9,446 posts, read 8,422,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Knocking on that $80K threshold where the gov't says "you don't need your SS so we'll just keep your money"

(That's if Christies hypothetical plan gets rolled out)
Can you expand on this?

Yes, I'm too lazy to Google it.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:31 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,429,986 times
Chris Christie has proposed reducing SS benefit for retiree's with more than $80,000 in income and eliminating SS payments for those with more than $200,000.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:09 AM

106,916 posts, read 109,196,656 times
just a stupid idea from a man who was even clueless about the company he was in charge of as they were draining investor money away . he is as clueless about the real world as he was about everything else.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:57 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,821,279 times
i am very jealous on all of you people that inherit 6 digits at such a low age...wow

Old 04-18-2015, 04:17 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,032,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Chris Christie has proposed reducing SS benefit for retiree's with more than $80,000 in income and eliminating SS payments for those with more than $200,000.
Could we stop paying into SS then?

Take something that is basically welfare, and make it real welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance