Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 07:23 PM

946 posts, read 2,918,225 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered what happens to all those puppies and kittens at pet stores that don't get bought. Do they send them to the pound? Do they euthanize them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 09:52 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
The ones I know of drop the price until they sell. I guess it's possible they'd send them to puppy mill auctions if they have any in their area. I doubt they'd euth them. They've got $$ into them and want to get it back somehow - or at least some of it.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:06 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,239 times
In theory if they don't get bought the store will request less and less puppies from the puppy mill and eventually the puppy mill will not be able to keep breeding and shut down. And everyone who does rescue and fosters/saves dogs from shelters will breathe a sigh of relief...

Old 12-13-2010, 02:50 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
They lower price until it sells. if they don't sell and get a bit to old, they send it to the BRG's who sell (adopt) them to unsuspecting people. BRG's are set up to look like legitimate animal resuce groups but are just an alternate way to sell dogs. Look at BRGs as an overstock sales outlet for pet stores, mills and breeders except they pretend to be resuce groups. The adoption fees are often on the high end, sometime the same as what a pet store will sell it for. You can tell its a BRG sometimes because they are loaded with purebreed or designer dogs, many being on the young side and seldom any over a couple of year. Any older dog they have for adoption usually looks like its been a baby factory for years.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:25 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
lower the price untill they cant afford to anymore (the cost they bought it for plus vet care, typically around the $300 mark is the lowest they can go...
at that point if it still hasnt sold they get returned to the facility they were bought from who then send them back to the "breeder" to be euthanized, sold to other "breeders" at auction, or become new breeding dogs for the mill...

Old 12-13-2010, 09:16 PM

946 posts, read 2,918,225 times
That all sounds really horrible . Poor puppies. It's painful to see them treated as a product, with no feelings or emotions. I personally can't stand even passing by a pet store, seeing all those animals crammed into small spaces wanting to get out and be played with breaks my heart into a million pieces.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:43 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
It a double sadnes because these BRGs are often selling to animal lovers who would never support pet stores, puppy mills or BYBs. But those businesses found that slapping the name "Rescue" on their puppy/kitty selling business fools even die hard animal welfare lovers to support their businesses. I would not be shocked if half their breeding business is devoted to selling to BRGs often who are also owned by the mills themself. There is no regulations as to what is a legitimate Rescue group so through clever marketing, they found a sales outlet to animal lovers.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:33 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
People LOVE to make fun of San Francisco, for being a bunch of "right-wing liberal wackos" - but we got one thing right, in banning the sale of dogs & cats in pet stores. I only know of one pet shop within an hour of here that sells dogs/cats, and they're not in San Francisco county... so glad I don't have to see that anywhere else, as it really breaks my heart.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:04 AM

216 posts, read 829,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
It a double sadnes because these BRGs are often selling to animal lovers who would never support pet stores, puppy mills or BYBs. But those businesses found that slapping the name "Rescue" on their puppy/kitty selling business fools even die hard animal welfare lovers to support their businesses. I would not be shocked if half their breeding business is devoted to selling to BRGs often who are also owned by the mills themself. There is no regulations as to what is a legitimate Rescue group so through clever marketing, they found a sales outlet to animal lovers.
Please excuse my ignorance, I thought I knew everything on the subject, but what does"BRG" stand for?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:18 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
That all sounds really horrible . Poor puppies. It's painful to see them treated as a product, with no feelings or emotions. I personally can't stand even passing by a pet store, seeing all those animals crammed into small spaces wanting to get out and be played with breaks my heart into a million pieces.
Poor puppies indeed. But if no one bought from pet stores, there would be no need for puppy mills. Don't buy from a pet store because you feel bad for the puppies; when you buy from a pet store you are supporting a puppy mill - you are funding the suffering of thousands of other puppies/dogs. Not to lecture you, but I can't tell by your posts if you know these things already or feel bad for pet store puppies and might buy one to "save" it. If you really want to "save" a puppy go to a shelter. The puppies in shelters have little time before they are killed and they truly need to be saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets