Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 12:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

Hope this policy spreads across the country.

University of Northern Colorado to add a pet-friendly dorm next year - The Denver Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 09:57 AM

369 posts, read 760,035 times
Omg, if they allow dogs that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Most of the apartments in my building have a dog and the dogs bark at each other all day long. Not to mention the legal issues surrounding dogs fighting and biting, and having to depend on 18-22 year olds, not the most responsible age group, to pick up after their dogs. I'm all for dorms allowing caged pets, but dogs just seems like a bad idea.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:11 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Encouraging college students to have pets is a bad idea. Not that all college students are irresponsible or uncaring - far from it - but college students are by nature transient and tend to leave things behind when they move. What happens when they want to leave the residence hall but can't find an apartment that will accept their pets?

Old 03-05-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Encouraging college students to have pets is a bad idea. Not that all college students are irresponsible or uncaring - far from it - but college students are by nature transient and tend to leave things behind when they move. What happens when they want to leave the residence hall but can't find an apartment that will accept their pets?
That's a good point. I work at a shelter in a college town, and we often have a small influx of cats every year at the end of May when the students move out. The saddest part is that most aren't brought in by the students, but by the landlords who find them abandoned in empty apartments.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:49 AM

41 posts, read 96,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This is a very good point. Around this area it is pretty difficult to find an affordable apartment complex that takes cats, let alone dogs. The apartment communities that do charge top dollar--something I don't think someone straight out of college can afford to pay or even someone still in college.

I see this as a positive for those that use animals to relieve anxiety/depression/other disorders as well as those who utilize animals for special needs.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyJaneway View Post
That's a good point. I work at a shelter in a college town, and we often have a small influx of cats every year at the end of May when the students move out. The saddest part is that most aren't brought in by the students, but by the landlords who find them abandoned in empty apartments.
They are calling this a pilot program. So what happens to the pets if it doesn't work out and they're not allowed back? I hope any students participating have parents ready to take the pet if the program doesn't last.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:08 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
This is such an awful idea. We should flood the college with protest letters. This can be stopped before it starts.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:59 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateaboo View Post
This is a very good point. Around this area it is pretty difficult to find an affordable apartment complex that takes cats, let alone dogs. The apartment communities that do charge top dollar--something I don't think someone straight out of college can afford to pay or even someone still in college.

I see this as a positive for those that use animals to relieve anxiety/depression/other disorders as well as those who utilize animals for special needs.
We have the opposite where we live (a college town). Hard to find an apartment that doesn't take
dogs. So there are many students who go and get a puppy/dog who want to play house and are gone
most of the day, out late at night and get frantic during breaks (there are services for that which
get booked pretty quickly). They leave their dogs -chained outside during frigid weather) ground
floor units) all hours day and night. The apartments are owned by businesses so they do make
a lot of profit by charging an extra $75.00 a month per pet as well as a hefty pet deposit (which
usually is not refundable due to damage the pets cause on the floors)

For anyone with a disability (which would include depression, anxiety & other disorders) -under
the Fair Housing Act and The Americans with Disabilities Act, if your doctor can write a letter
explaining a person's need for a pet - most complexes would have to comply (but private
apartments may find a way to get around that).

Old 03-26-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zloser View Post
They are calling this a pilot program. So what happens to the pets if it doesn't work out and they're not allowed back? I hope any students participating have parents ready to take the pet if the program doesn't last.
I hope so too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets