Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2006, 04:16 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,482,638 times

Advertisements

What are some pet friendly cities in the U.S.? We have dogs we usually take when going on trips around the U.S. and was wondering what are good areas to be in.

One i know is Boston. They had lots of hotels/motels that would let you board your pet.

Appreciate any info. Thanks. Blue Grass Fever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 05:59 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,891,132 times
Hello Blue Grass -

Believe it or not, there are many hotels, state to state that are pet friendly. I had cats for 20-yrs & upon relocating, twice cross country, I needed to know which hotels allowed them. At that time, back in the 90's, I was also pleasantly surprised that the room fee only increased by $7 with pets. I do remember, however, that in some rooms, cats weren't allowed, as they considered them dog-friendly rooms & didn't want dogs to be upset by Kitt'N smell, in the future. You don't need this info, but I thought I'd list it for those cat owning travellers onboard.

AAA actually has a book that lists them all. It's called "Travelling with your Pet", a new 2006 edition, which sells for $12. I'm not sure if they offer it at a discount at AAA locations or in fact, if it's free for members. But, if you're members, check before you purchase it. In fact, upon checking the name at amazon, I noticed there are a # of pet travelling books. I'm sure one of them will fit your needs.

Also, their Tour Books, which are free for members list that info. I looked at Tour Books & never noticed the stats, until I needed to know. Since it doesn't separate hotels by pet-friendly, it may be tougher to figure out (I used a highlighter prior to one trip to make it easier to see where to stop), so that was why I initially purchased the AAA book years ago. It made travelling much simpler to know when I was approaching a town which hotels were accepting. Hope this helps.

Happy trails... Baltic_Celt

Old 10-30-2006, 06:20 AM

321 posts, read 1,557,066 times
Alexandria, VA is a great place for pets. They have a doggie parade along with the St. Patrick's Day parade. They literally get hundreds of dogs. When I was there I used to see dogs being walked and trained all the time. There's also an off-leash park down on the Potomac River, near the Wilson Bridge.

If you like to ski, Crested Butte, CO is the dog friendliest ski resort.

Now that I'm doing a little bit of traveling for dog shows, I find that most places are accepting -- though I'd really rather have a motor home and not have to worry about it!

Old 10-31-2006, 10:17 PM

105 posts, read 147,279 times
Texas has a foolish law that animals are not allowed where food is served - like restaurants and supermarkets.

One day however our 20+ pound Flemish Giant Rabbit "Birthday" decided he wanted to see exactly what was available in the produce section of the HEB Supermarket. So the kids and I put him in the cart and off we went. The new store manager said "Whats that! but we told him he was a stuffed rabbit- but right about then Birthday pointed out something we "needed" to buy. By this time a small crowd had settled around us. The manager said "this is against state law and he will have to go" Someone else pointed out that he shouldnt be telling an attorney (me-lol ) the law and that Id kick his ass if he tried anything. It didnt help that all his employees were in a line petting and admiring Birthday. Way outnumbered, he offered to do all our shopping for us but we finally settled by allowing Birthday and one child to sit at the front of the door while we had to guess what he wanted.

IF I was really a good attorney I would have gotten a few carrots, a head of broccoli and a small bag of unsalted sunflower seeds to make it all worthwhile but then again if i was a good attorney I wouldnt have gotten the kids (custody) and all the pets ( even Alex Possum! lol).

Yes I have pictures !

Old 11-04-2006, 09:46 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
We don't care Pearl (55 lbs) dog with us during short trips. But in Saint Augustine Florida many tourist bring their pets (most small dogs). The town is persived as friendly to pets.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:13 AM

892 posts, read 2,372,092 times
San Fransicso, CA. I think they have a law now that pet owners are called guardians and not owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets