Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 11:51 PM

29 posts, read 137,742 times

Advertisements

I have pet insurance for my female Boxer, and I wish I had had it for my male when he was diagnosed with cancer. Most policies have a cancer rider on them for a low premium. If I had had coverage on him, I would have saved thousands of dollars. The surgery and chemo was over $7000 when all was said and done! The insurance is good for emergencies such as this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 01:31 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Most pet insurance has small yearly limits, excludes pre-existing conditions (and if your pet is diagnosed with something this year it will become next year's pre-existing condition), many vets do not accept the pet insurance so you would still have to pay out of pocket and wait for reimbursement, premiums go up based on the age of the pet, and some older pets are excluded.

If there is a Banefield near you, they offer a yearly program. It is pretty expensive, but you no longer have to pay the fee for office visits. They include 1 surgery per year, and some discounts. Banefield is like any other place, and some are better than others based on the actual personnel.

I also recommend putting some cash away in a seperate bank account for emergencies. For me, this is a more sensible approach.

I purchase all of my grooming supplies, heartworm/flea control, treats, etc. online and save a ton of money.

Oh, and my dog sleeps with me, gets her nails painted, and there is a picture of her on my desk. I am smart enough to have researched this subject and found that it was not right for me.
I do agree with you, I buy all the frontline, and heartworm on line, and if they need routine medicine I go to Dr Foster. Mostly while a dog is young they are healthy, older than it does cost more. I think it is wiser to say put maybe 150 per year into a bank as for pet care, even buy a cd. It makes me think of long term insurance for us. Good if you can afford it, but most cant. Even invest is a stock say Disney of vz
then reinvest the div., you win and the pet also does. or even AT&T

Old 07-08-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOODTOGO View Post
Thanks for all your responses...think I will sit this one out and just stash the loot away...Also, would love to know the site for grooming supplies etc...Thanks....
check out Dr Foster, healthy pets.com I shop and compare pricing shipping and give them an email address to get specials. or do a yahoo search for what you are searching for. My Bichon just went to the Rainbow Bridge,
however I still have a terrier here. When we do the yearly visit, I ask them to sent the heartworm perscription into Dr Foster. If they give me a problem, I would not go back there. People have the right to get there meds anywhere.

Yes it does save you lots of money, Now also this vet wants to do 2 visits per year, I just say no, one if fine. Even her over teeth cleaning for a 14 year old dog, noway. I am so glad I did not go for that one. You just need to know your pet, and go with what you think is best. Put a 14 year old to sleep? do a search for pet supplies. Also I think a place Cherrybrooks,
I get their books . They have lots of pet supplies also. Baby carrots also are great treats for a dog.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
We had a lady that worked with us, she would let her dog sleep with her, brush it's teeth, take it to the groomer, paint its nails, and have a picture of it on her desk. I thought to myself these kind of deluted people would make great "pet insurance" customers I would have made a buch of $$.

But this is just yet another dark picture of how America has slipped into this twisted amoral state.
A dog needs to be clean and groomed, also the teeth do need care. I have pictures of my pets also.
However, we do not paint nails. I give the best I can afford, within reason. Money wise, I do think it is cheaper, if you need flea protection use it.
Maybe once per year or ever 2 get the teeth cleaned. Pet Insurance is good for some, not all.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Most pet insurance has small yearly limits, excludes pre-existing conditions (and if your pet is diagnosed with something this year it will become next year's pre-existing condition), many vets do not accept the pet insurance so you would still have to pay out of pocket and wait for reimbursement, premiums go up based on the age of the pet, and some older pets are excluded.

If there is a Banefield near you, they offer a yearly program. It is pretty expensive, but you no longer have to pay the fee for office visits. They include 1 surgery per year, and some discounts. Banefield is like any other place, and some are better than others based on the actual personnel.

I also recommend putting some cash away in a seperate bank account for emergencies. For me, this is a more sensible approach.

I purchase all of my grooming supplies, heartworm/flea control, treats, etc. online and save a ton of money.

Oh, and my dog sleeps with me, gets her nails painted, and there is a picture of her on my desk. I am smart enough to have researched this subject and found that it was not right for me.
sounds like buying the insurance for the dishwasher etc., when they are new
they hardly ever break, then you pay. The older they get the price goes up.
I guess it is better just put that money away and after the breakdown period
start over. You could spend like 500.00 for a dishwasher insurance.
that would get you a brand new one.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I also steer away from pet insurance. I have two dogs, who sleep with me, eat a super premium diet (human grade food & naturally preserved rather than chemically preserved, without "by-products"), get their bathes every other month and get their teeth brushed along with going for car rides when the weather is optimal.

I figure if you take quality care of them and they see their vet regularly (once a year until senior and twice after htting seniorhood), then you're already saving tons of money.

I have friends who actually have credit cards that are just for use for their pets
Some of these credit cards give you pet discounts. I do think I saw this in DoG fancy. I might need to check this out.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:35 PM

4 posts, read 4,913 times
Default Introduction

Hi all,
I am new to this discussion. I found this is an interesting discussion. I also have a pet male dog. I think it's better to have pet insurance at the early age of your pet. That will be more beneficial for you and even for your pet.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
No'we have a svings accout for their care at vets.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:46 AM

296 posts, read 543,092 times
No pet insurance here. Just doing what that lady does and save money.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:42 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
personally i USED to have pet insurance, BUT after having issues with a number of insurance companies, not covering what they were supposed to, hiing up their premiums randomly, trying to find excuses to not pay out, or taking forever to sort claims ect...

so instead i started taking the amount i was paying in pet insurance premiums every month and putting it in a high yeild savings account for pet emergencies only...
i also have a care credit card that i got for myown health care origoionally and now its become the pet emergency card if theres not enough in the emergency account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets