Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 10:34 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Can pets like cats and dogs actually feel love?

Do wild animals that live in packs feel love for their pack mates?

Do the mothers feel love for their children, and then feel extreme sadness when one of the young die? What is the motivated factors that makes mother mammals raise their young for a bit?
By all appearances, cats and dogs do. I don't know enough about other animals to know about them. Except primates, who also feel love and all the emotions.

Throughout history, humans have underestimated the intelligence and attributes of other animals of the earth, as well as our human ancestors.

We can't know if it's exactly like the love that humans feel (well, not all humans feel love; psychopaths and sociopaths seem incapable of it). But for all intents and purposes, they feel love. They may be more pragmatic about it...accepting that their companion is gone, for example, and not hovering about a dead body. But we all know the stories about pets going into long term mourning, when their human owner dies or goes away, or their pet companion has.

This makes sense, in order for them to survive. They know the difference between love and fear and anger and hate. They remember if someone was mean to them. So it follows that they would remember if someone was kind to them, and how they feel about people and other animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 11:32 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
This comes from the Christian bible that says that "man has dominion over the animals." That one idea has wrought so much pain and anguish in the world.

I am glad people are waking up.

Yes, we are mammals!!!!
Well, it says that in the "Jewish" Bible too.

However, there is also a verse that says, "a righteous man regardeth the life of his beast."

Old 02-24-2019, 11:34 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
This modern human disagrees with you.
We cannot be reduced to a chemical reaction.
We are nothing but chemical reactions. Well, electro-chemical. We are just one big bag of chemicals, all controlled by DNA. It is really pretty amazing when you think of it. It started as a chemical reaction 2 billion years ago and has grown and evolved to what you see today. And the really amazing thing is we have this odd ability to contemplate this whole thing with our brains, which are also just an electrochemical process.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:55 AM

25,576 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
We are nothing but chemical reactions. Well, electro-chemical. We are just one big bag of chemicals, all controlled by DNA. It is really pretty amazing when you think of it. It started as a chemical reaction 2 billion years ago and has grown and evolved to what you see today. And the really amazing thing is we have this odd ability to contemplate this whole thing with our brains, which are also just an electrochemical process.
Then I claim that my dog and I both came from the same bowl of primordial soup. We were connected together in The Beginning and are connected together now.
I call it love and I felt it a little while ago when I placed his head on my knee for no apparent reason. It felt good, so it is.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Of course they can. They know when they are bad or good from our reactions. They get super excited when we come home and the look in their eyes let's you know they love you as much as you love them, maybe even more.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:43 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,699,281 times
Pets will even put themselves into harms way to protect the people they love. Even cats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw9AwaJaVGU

Old 02-24-2019, 02:50 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
A little Banty hen came over to us from the neighbors and we adopted each other. She would follow us from room to room, cried when we were out of sight, and would sit on us in bed, in the morning. She wanted to be held and cuddled whenever she could. Food was not an issue or motivator for her. She didn't like other people, just us. We took her on several road trips and she loved riding in the car too.

Who would think a chicken could feel so much! She was so special (and we've had every sort of pet)
and we certainly loved each other.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:15 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times
Quote:
"Love" is a little squirt of dopamine into the right place in our brain at the right time. This is true in people and in animals. Humans interpret that as something we call "love". Who knows how animals interpret it but I doubt it is the same. With highly social animals, which includes wolves and ants, I imagine it is pleasurable and that promotes the socialization.

We humans romanticize the biology behind this. I really doubt that humans 10,000 years ago when we were hunter/gatherers had a notion of love. Love is a modern thing we have dreamed up.
I think you may be confusing romantic love and the rush and high associated with it with the "love" most people are talking about here. This feeling we get and give with animals is more closely associated with the love you feel toward a close family member or a platonic friend.

The two are totally different. When I am at a loss for words and can't explain something well, I turn to music at times. These songs simplify my thoughts; humans frequently when communicating need words most times to express their feelings toward one another (and even then we still mess it up). Said most eloquently here by the great Elton John in one of his best songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMDOXvahh3Y

Animals on the other hand can be communicated with even when we say nothing at all (song by the late, great Keith Whitley):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNU7iIdw7Ss

Old 02-24-2019, 04:19 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
One thing is for sure, we humans could learn a whole lot from animals.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:31 PM

4,242 posts, read 947,782 times
Quote:
Love is a modern thing we have dreamed up.
IF that is the case .... what a wonderful stroke of good fortune for us!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets