Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 09:43 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,569,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Labrador.
Labs shed like crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 09:53 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,427,255 times
Boxer. They are FANTASTIC with kids of all ages. They have toddler personalities that stay that way even when they are older. They are VERY smart & EZ to train and great indoor dogs for families that live in apts etc. People mistake them for "Boxer Bulldogs" and are afraid of them. They are good for scaring people off when they come to the door, and I let my UPS, FedEx, Amazon delivery people think that mine will bite them if she had the chance. In reality, she would lick them to death.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:50 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,870,524 times
There are lots of good choices, but IMO the big question isn't breed, but age. Get an adult rescue or rehome that's already housetrained, and is known to have a nice temperament. Puppies are a big handful, and you also have to be more knowledgeable about dogs to raise a puppy correctly, as you're raising it through formative stages.

Lots of nice dogs in rescue/shelters through no fault of their own. A Lab or Golden Retriever (or a lab mix or golden mix) is the quintessential family dog for a reason - they tend to be easy to train and mild tempered. Don't pick out the one that looks shy, withdrawn, or sad even if you feel bad for it. A dog that's happy and friendly even in a depressing and stressful environment is probably pretty bomb-proof.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:24 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,415,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Good suggestions so far. I'll also add that the right All American Mutt can make a fantastic pet, so it's worthwhile checking out the local shelters.
Mutt! Mutt! and an adult to boot. Look on petfinder.com rather than go to local shelters. You can window shop a lot of shelters and rescues from the comfort of home. I gather adoptions have really boomed since shelters and rescues can put their dogs online.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:26 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I know you didn't ask this specifically but I would suggest whatever breed you get you get an adult rather than a puppy. Then you'll have a better sense of its temperament, it will already be house trained, etc. When I volunteered at intake at a large Humane Society we saw so many first timers come in and want a puppy. Puppies are REALLY cute and a lot of fun but they are a lot of work. I wouldn't advise a puppy of any breed for a first timer.
Definitely agreed.

Also, focus more on personality than breed. If you Rescue or adopt through a shelter, breeds are typically best guesses.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:28 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Beagles are another good breed. I’d add cocker spaniel, but they shed a lot. Breeds like poodles shed the least, but a dog that needs to be professionally clipped can add some large grooming bills.
My cocker spaniel sheds way less than my in laws lab mix and my cousin’s Frenchie. So shedding is relative lol.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:28 PM

3,256 posts, read 2,344,148 times
Black lab adult from a rescue. We've had great success adopting wonderful adult labs who are great with everyone.

Old 11-15-2019, 01:42 PM

23,338 posts, read 18,903,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Labrador.
Um...not really a small to medium breed, they need good exercise, and they shed constantly! Their oily coat (for water resistance) needs regular bathing. Nothing like lab stink. While they generally have lovely temperaments they are not exactly the best breed for someone who isn't outdoorsy active and who doesn't have time to run them every day.

You need to evaluate how much daily time you'll have to exercise/walk this dog. An active intelligent breed will drive you crazy if you don't give them an outlet. A dog that needs lots of grooming can be expensive if you don't learn to do the work yourself.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:17 PM

7,114 posts, read 4,835,961 times
Mixed breed, or mutt. From the shelter. Rescue a dog!

Old 11-15-2019, 08:08 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,850,742 times
Half the suggestions here have been for a Labrador. They're great dogs but they are not "small to medium" as the OP specified. Does anyone read the requests before going off on their own choice of tangents?

My vote is for a shelter animal; you'll know when you find each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets