Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 08:07 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Labs shed like crazy!
I was just getting ready to say that. Good dogs, but I could never stand the dog hair everywhere. I mean - EVERYWHERE. It will wind up in your FOOD.

Get a labradoodle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 08:42 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
YES! Others: Papillion, French Bulldog, Corgis are wonderful. There are lots of doodles that are bred small. A friend has a Bernie doodle. You'd think it'd be huge - not so.
I was going to say Corgi or Cavalier King Charles.

Most Labs aren't small and they shed. They are great family dogs though. Ours went everywhere in our rural area with our two boys. She was part of the "pack." They cried like little kids when we had to put her down. (they were teenagers at the time)

Beagles are very vocal, they shed, and they have a very strong "doggy" odor. They are happy-go-lucky dogs who love their food and can get fat if you don't watch their food intake

I might ruffle some feathers, but be careful of anything "doodle." If they are puppies, ask to see how the parents behave. The might not shed, but some turn out very hyper. (thinking Labradoodle and Goldendoodle)
I've yet to see a calm adult below 5 years old that isn't full of energy, knocking things off coffee tables, knocking small kids over, etc.

The poodle part of the mix are retrievers and can drive you bonkers wanting to play morning, noon and night.

Old 11-16-2019, 09:38 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
To me, Labradors are the best breed for a first-time owner and the best dog breed ever!

Old 11-16-2019, 10:45 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,015,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Sit in lawn chair, throw tennis ball, wait for dog to return, extract tennis ball from dog's mouth; throw tennis ball, wait for dog to return, extract tennis ball from dog's mouth; throw tennis ball, wait for dog to return, extract tennis ball from dog's mouth... repeat until dog shows signs of slowing down. If no tennis ball is available, substitute with stick.
haha..works with a frisbee also.

But teach them to "drop it"
My dog also learned to toss the ball to me.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:39 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
The very best for kids, and very good for first time dog owners are the short haired spaniels:

English Springer, Welsh Springer, Field Spaniel, Clumber Spaniel, Boykin Spaniel, Brittany Spaniel, English Cocker Spaniel, Sussex Spaniel.

Spaniels are very tolerant and tough. They are cheerful and mild tempered. That makes them good for kids. They are bred to work closely with a humans which makes them easy to train. They are bred to work well with strange dogs which makes them tolerant of other dogs. They have a soft mouth. They will settle down and cuddle. They are an excellent size; big enough to not be hurt if a child falls on them and small enough to fit into the car and to be a bit cheaper to feed.

Grooming must be done, but it is easy.

Show lines are better for a first dog than a hunting line because they have been bred to be calmer in the house. Hunt bred dogs are bred to go and work all day. The exception is the show bred American Cocker who is a delightful dog but a grooming nightmare.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:46 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Beagles are excellent as long as you have very secure fencing and are committed to never allowing the dog out without a leash. They are a good size. They are durable, and they are affectionate. They will run at any opportunity.

Labradors are very high energy and often too much go-go-go for a first dog family with children who need a lot of attention.

Cavalier Spaniels are lovely but possibly too quiet for children who want to play with the dog for more than a few minutes.

If the kids can be trusted to not be rough, a whippet is a good choice. The legs are a bit fragile so not for rough kids, but they are people oriented and are known as "the hot water bottle" of the dog world because their favorite place to be with their warm body is in a lap.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:49 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,015,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Labradors are very high energy and often too much go-go-go for a first dog family with children who need a lot of attention.

Most labs are not hyper in my experience.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:57 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post

And the Labrador's size is tempered by their calm demeanor in that they generally don't run around knocking floor lamps over, they won't jump up on kids or house guests and knock them over, etc.
They don't? Most people I know who have labs (the majority of friends seemed to have one either because they hunt or because the busiest male dog in the neighborhood was a loose lab that sired all the free puppies) have to lab-tail-proof their homes and keep an eye on toddlers/elderly folks the dog can knock over. They are heavily built and powerful. That muscular tail can clear a coffee table in about 3 seconds.

Sure, when they're older they certainly can be but I doubt many people who have one younger than about 5 would say this. OP, sounds like a lab would be too much dog for you. I think you're smart to look elsewhere. There are lots of smaller mixed breeds that would work; beagle mixes, terrier mixes, poodle mixes, cocker spaniel mixes.

There is no "perfect" dog for everyone and dogs are individuals...they don't always adhere to the breed standard. Get the best information about the breeds that MIGHT have gone into creating the dog, educate yourself about what baggage comes with it and decide whether you can handle that baggage.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-16-2019 at 01:58 PM..

Old 11-16-2019, 01:11 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,607,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
Would a cavalier king charles spaniel be a good option?
Cavaliers usually have lovely temperaments (though if you get a puppy, do not get one who seems timid, hangs back from you). I'd have had one by now, but they have a high rate of heart disease (20-50% I think). Doesn't mean that the dog will definitely get it (I believe the specific problem is mitral valve degenerative disorder), but they can, and depending on their age of onset, might mean that they need heart testing and medication. They can live, even with medication, to age nine or ten or longer...or not. I personally am leery about the odds, but they are fairly popular where I live. Some breeders are very conscientious about trying to keep their lines clear of heart disease...

I would consider a Field Spaniel or a Welsh Springer as a first dog, they usually have nice temperaments; but they do need regular off-leash activity.

Do you have a fenced yard or proximity to fenced dog-friendly areas?

Basset Hounds are nice-natured; but need frequent ear cleaning and can have some dog odor.

Old 11-16-2019, 02:08 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,785,266 times
Don't get a puppy. So much work, you'll wind up giving it back. Breeders often give away females who've had a litter or two - depending upon the breed, these can make lovely pets. Guide dog associations need people to keep their female breeder dogs, and then give them as pets. Adult mutts from the pound and rescues are temperament tested, often a very good choice.

All the "doodle" crosses don't shed, if there's enough poodle in them. Labradoodle, goldendoodle, aussiedoodle, bernadoodle - if they're crossed with a good dog, they usually make great pets.

Larger hounds are the sweetest dogs, but they can never be let off leash (they run off after any scent), they need a bath every couple of weeks or they stink, and they'll dig their way out of any enclosure. That being said, they're incredibly tolerant and easy-going dogs.

Many small breeds are irritable, may not tolerate kids well. You are smart to avoid pitbulls and the like. Contact rescues and keep in touch with pounds. Also, if you have a neighborhood facebook group, post on that. It's not uncommon for a family to need to place an older person's dog when the owner cannot manage any longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets