Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 04:49 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,042,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebdj View Post
Oh no.....once you have one of those tiny dogs, you'll never stop buying outfits. Or tiaras. Or bonnets. Trust me on this one. Those things are just too cute to pass up.
They really are, aren't they? I've never seen anything cuter than some of these tiny, itty bitty jackets they've come up with.

Reps to you because you understand !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 06:45 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,221,113 times
I, too, have to stop for animals, no different from helping a lost child in a shopping mall.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:32 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,647,878 times
I've rescued alot of animals in different circumstances. Some were adopted by me, but others brought to the shelter where they could be cared for and adopted out. My first cat was a stray and I found her in Missouri while I was staying there for a short while. She was a little calico dodging big trucks on a highway. She lived in the fairgrounds across from the hotel I was staying at. I brought her in my room (with food) and flew her back to NY with me. She lived to be 18 1/2 years old and was an exceptional cat.
Recently I found a little kitten wondering the streets where I live. I brought her to the local shelter, which is an amazing shelter, after we fed her. She was adopted out within 2 weeks.
I think if your an animal lover it's a natural instinct to save and care for any animals that are in difficult situations.
When I travel to S. America and see strays I give them dog bones (placed in my luggage before the trip). At least it's something little I can do for them.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:49 PM

376 posts, read 1,809,003 times
I stop for ducks (and in SW florida, we have TONS of them) And then there is this flock of egrets that cross my driveway every morning when I'm trying to get to work......I've walked around my neighborhood with loose dogs that have come up to me when I'm walking my dog....usually the owner doesn't even know the dog has gotten away. Luckily, we've always found the owner. I've even stopped to pick up turtles in the middle of the road (and if you've ever been in SW florida during tourist season, which is when the turtles cross roads (egg laying time) you KNOW how brave that is) and move them to the other side of the street. I believe most people try to do what they can.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:01 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
That was so kind of you! I would have done the same exact thing in a heartbeat! Iv'e done it before and will do it again!

Old 03-27-2011, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,234 times
A family moved away and left their cat behind. She/he was sleeping under their trailer for months, waiting for them to return. She would come to my place looking for food and after several weeks she trusted me enough to come inside. She is so matted that I can't get down to her skin and she has drawn blood on me for trying because it's so painful. I'm a senior and can't afford to take her to the vet. The SPCA in this area is known to be sadistic with animals and are not to be trusted.
Recently she came to me and was limping and soon began to vomit. The following day she couldn't get up but showed no sign of pain.
Everyone is telling me to put her down but her will to live is so strong that she's been trying very hard to walk. She drank some water today and really wants to go outside, probably to return to the home where she was abandoned.
I have been doing a lot of praying and crying because she couldn't have picked a worse person to come to than me. I have no money and need help in figuring out what to do with her. She's the most affectionate cat I've ever come across and gives mouth to mouth kiss's which is very unusual.
What I need is some input as to what I should do for her while she either heals or dies on me.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:13 PM

859 posts, read 2,828,156 times
I know this is the wrong answer but how much I care depends on what kind of animal it is.

If it's a dog, cat, Rabbit, squirrel or something other cute fuzzy thing then yeah I would stop the world to help. If it where something like a turtle, fish or even worse a bird of some sort then no it doesn't bother me.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:51 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justoneofu View Post
A family moved away and left their cat behind. She/he was sleeping under their trailer for months, waiting for them to return. She would come to my place looking for food and after several weeks she trusted me enough to come inside. She is so matted that I can't get down to her skin and she has drawn blood on me for trying because it's so painful. I'm a senior and can't afford to take her to the vet. The SPCA in this area is known to be sadistic with animals and are not to be trusted.
Recently she came to me and was limping and soon began to vomit. The following day she couldn't get up but showed no sign of pain.
Everyone is telling me to put her down but her will to live is so strong that she's been trying very hard to walk. She drank some water today and really wants to go outside, probably to return to the home where she was abandoned.
I have been doing a lot of praying and crying because she couldn't have picked a worse person to come to than me. I have no money and need help in figuring out what to do with her. She's the most affectionate cat I've ever come across and gives mouth to mouth kiss's which is very unusual.
What I need is some input as to what I should do for her while she either heals or dies on me.
go to Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder and input your zipcode for the search area.... you should be able to find rescue groups .... maybe one of them can offer some help or advice....

bless you for taking that poor little thing in ......

please let us know what happens.....

Old 03-28-2011, 06:41 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
i help whenever i can...

ive stopped traffic to help turtles and ducks and geese cross roads, ive pulled over on the highway to help stray dogs ect...

theres an invisible sign in my yard that says "need help...come here" readable by critters of all kinds.
im a state liscensed vector species wildlife rehabber specializing in vector (potential rabies carrier) bottle babies)

im the person who pulls over next to a dead possum to check her pouch for babies, the one whos stopped at roadside for roadkill fox, coyote ect during baby season to make sure there isnt a litter alone and starving in the bushes neer by...

im the one with heavy leather gloves, treats and leashes, blankets, tarps, pain killers, cardboard carriers ect in the back of my car at all times "just in case" i come across something, wild or domesticated that needs me.

theres times when i cannot help...
i have my own animals to worry about that makes me unable to put myself in high risk positions (im sorry, im not running across a highway, or jumping off a bridge ect...to save a stray) but if i can help...i always do.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:02 AM

88 posts, read 236,684 times
I have rescued & helped many animals--dogs, cats, pregnant cats who had kittens, birds, turtles, rabbits etc etc. Many became our pets & lived out the rest of their lives with us. Others which were lost returned to their homes.

At the present time, our three cats were abandoned by various people who moved away & just left them behind. They came to our house, probably attracted by the wild birds which I feed, & ended up becoming strictly indoor cats who have their own room. They now have each other for companionship & an easy life.

We have had a turtle for almost three years. My dog found him trying to find something to eat in our yard before a cold front came through our area. He probably would have been run over or frozen to death if not taken in.

I have helped various wild birds who had broken wings, legs etc.by taking them in until they healed & then releasing or taking them to wild bird rescue..

I will always take the time to try to help an animal or get them help if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets