Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 07:35 PM

67 posts, read 165,468 times

Advertisements

Anyone here own one? I am getting one tommorow to gaurd my goats, I have 5, and I would like to know what other's experiances are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 07:41 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,456,447 times
My Dad used to breed the miniature donkeys. They even had a mini wagon, saddles and harness. They were the life of every parade.

The thing I remember MOST was when we transported Rudy up to Colorado from Texas. He was crated and we had to go to the cargo area of the airport and that was when Rudy found his voice. As a teenager, I wanted to climb in a hole. Now I look back at it, it was pretty funny. Poor thing probably wondered what on earth was going on.

He lived out his life as a stud in the Rocky Mountains for the other donkeys my Father had.

I should imagine the larger ones are a little harder to control then the ones that are called miniature. I used to get a laugh when they would kick up their back heels. I was always labeled a rebellious kid so I think me and the donkeys had that in common. BUT you put that harness on them and hook them to the wagon and they did what they were trained to do.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:03 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,632,462 times
My neighbor had a few, they bay at night but no big deal.
Burro's and donkeys are great as they don't eat them selves to death like a horse will.
They will not let you work them too hard either.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:13 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,053,244 times
OMG... I LOVE donkeys!! Never had one, always wanted one desperatly! Had neighbors that had one, and he would bray and bray and it just tickled me each and everytime I heard him. He was a sweet and funny little guy.
PLEASE post pics ASAP!

Old 03-07-2009, 06:00 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,372,595 times
I had a pony mule for a pasture mate and I miss her, she kept the coyotes and dogs away, was a great "watch mule" and no one messed with her charges.

Many of the cattle farmers around her started putting mules or donkeys out with their herds as we have a real big coyote & stray dog problem here. They are great, long lived, easy keepers and much better herd protectors than dogs and a lot cheaper to operate.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:19 PM

67 posts, read 165,468 times
I ended up with TWO today. Me and my dad went to a lady's house were she had 10 donkeys for sale. Her explanation for why she had so many, "she got at jack and jenny and forgot to get the jack gelded." So now I have a jenny named Nena and a soon to be gelded jack named Skipper. It was an experiance trying to get the Nena into the trailer. Her husband tried the method of I-am-man-watch-me-drag-this-animal, and ended up stuck on his back on the ground. To get a mental image this guy was an ex-cop with popeye arms and a giant, beerbelly/muscle gut. He also was short, stocky and looked to be 300lbs and dressed in a cowboy hat, blue jeans, T-shirt, belt with huge buckle, and a cigarette constantly hanging out of his mouth. Envision a large turtle stuck on its back, I am not kidding you that is what he looked like. Back to the donkeys. We first went to go look at a large coco colored jenny i could ride, turned out I couldn't even get near her. The rest of the donkeys were obivously pregnant, extended watermelon belly and swollen udders. All of her jennys had babies at their sides and the lady could not comprehend why this happend. Lets see, jennys + jacks=foals. I was told that they worked with my two, who are both under a year, since they were born. You can not pick up their hooves, I have no idea when their last coggins was, worming was probably last year, I don't want to think about the other shots, and I will somehow have to halter break them so I can take them on walks with me and my goats. If anyone has adivce, i will LOVE it.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:23 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,456,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
I ended up with TWO today. Me and my dad went to a lady's house were she had 10 donkeys for sale. Her explanation for why she had so many, "she got at jack and jenny and forgot to get the jack gelded." So now I have a jenny named Nena and a soon to be gelded jack named Skipper. It was an experiance trying to get the Nena into the trailer. Her husband tried the method of I-am-man-watch-me-drag-this-animal, and ended up stuck on his back on the ground. To get a mental image this guy was an ex-cop with popeye arms and a giant, beerbelly/muscle gut. He also was short, stocky and looked to be 300lbs and dressed in a cowboy hat, blue jeans, T-shirt, belt with huge buckle, and a cigarette constantly hanging out of his mouth. Envision a large turtle stuck on its back, I am not kidding you that is what he looked like. Back to the donkeys. We first went to go look at a large coco colored jenny i could ride, turned out I couldn't even get near her. The rest of the donkeys were obivously pregnant, extended watermelon belly and swollen udders. All of her jennys had babies at their sides and the lady could not comprehend why this happend. Lets see, jennys + jacks=foals. I was told that they worked with my two, who are both under a year, since they were born. You can not pick up their hooves, I have no idea when their last coggins was, worming was probably last year, I don't want to think about the other shots, and I will somehow have to halter break them so I can take them on walks with me and my goats. If anyone has adivce, i will LOVE it.
What an hysterical image. With donkeys and some men you have to make them think whatever you want them to do was their idea to come up with. It seems the harder you push a donkey, the more defiant they are.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:05 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,053,244 times
How are you and your little donkeys doing? Sure would like some pictures!!!!

Old 11-07-2013, 05:14 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,616,693 times
Bumping this old thread, because I'm in my new place and I so want some donkeys!

Wasn't originally thinking of two, but I've read that they're very social and are happiest with other donkeys.

I have LOTS of questions before I actually acquire a pair. Of course I'm looking at the on-line and print literature, but I thought I'd see if anyone here has anything to share.

Does anyone out there have donkeys?

Old 12-03-2013, 03:22 PM

274 posts, read 519,211 times
I have only read about using donkeys as livestock guardians but everything I have read suggests only using one donkey with your livestock. If you put more than one donkey with your livestock they will bond with each other and ignore the rest of the herd. Donkeys are a sociable herd animal but will readily bond with other livestock if there aren't other donkeys around. They have an instinctual aversion to canines and even having a dog's scent on you could provoke a negative reaction from a donkey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets