Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 01:17 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,305,618 times

Advertisements

I used to volunteer/tutor at this home, and they had a small dog there. I loved that dog. Whenever I got there, she would immediately run up to me, give me kisses and sit in my lap. They had told me that she had gotten pregnant before, but all the puppies had died because she was too small to have them. They also told me they had her fixed after that so she wouldn't get pregnant again because it was bad for her health.

If they had told me she was not fixed, I would have gladly offered to help them get her fixed.

So what happens several months later? You guessed it. She gets pregnant. Apparently they had lied about fixing her. I was tempted to take her to the vet, but I had already paid once for her vet visit and I felt I would let them handle it. Several weeks later, they call me frantic because she is trying to give birth and the babies are not coming out. I tell them to take her to the vet and give them the number. They never call me back.

My feeling is the dog died. I don't understand why they didn't take care of her before any of this happened. They could have had her fixed for free! There are places that will do that. I just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 01:33 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,313,216 times
Prevention is key, absolutely. This dog was either left to run loose, or had been tied outside, thereby getting pregnant twice. I doubt it happened while someone was walking her.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:33 PM

5,244 posts, read 16,471,956 times
It probably did.

Another thing - why don't people bother to do any research before jumping into bringing home a dog? I see so many posts here that make me insane.

They say "I just bought such and such a breed, what can you tell me about whatever" Really? You knew nothing at all about the breed and just assumed it would fit perfectly into your lifestyle?

Of the first time dog owners that wind up with a terrier or border collie and don't understand why it won't just lie quietly at their feet all day. Or wonder why the working breed dog they bought is miserable or aggressive.

I could go on and on. Makes me nuts. Not all people are too bright I guess.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:25 PM

593 posts, read 2,901,696 times
To some people the dog is just a thing. To take out when you want to play with it or get some other personal gratification. Or a tool. And to others, the dog is a family member deserving of respect, care and love.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:32 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,305,618 times
Thanks for the response. And yes, she actually was let to run loose. And other loose dogs were allowed to be around her. I guess I just feel that it was so pointless for her to suffer like that, when it could have been prevented so easily. It makes me want to find all these little loose dogs and have them fixed! Or at least put them in homes where people will look after them better.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:05 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,587,299 times
Regardless of the story, the sad endings are usually due to ignorance. People just don't know what they don't know, and don't learn until it's too late.

Hate the behavior, love the persons, demonstrate a loving, informed example. Keep doing what you are doing.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:21 PM

269 posts, read 1,056,839 times
That's heartbreaking. People are idiots and it's sad that any idiot can have a dog (or a child for that matter). IMO the solution is education - not to ignore the situation but try to give uneducated owners the information they need. It's hard not to be angry though!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets