Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2007, 12:47 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times

Advertisements

I have referenced this a few times and thought I should share why NOT to get a guinea pig or pigs in our case.

I am an incredibly responsible pet owner, and I think all pets from fish, rodents, reptiles, cats, dogs, horses...whatever you have should be cared for right. So my son swore to me if I got him a guinea pig he would care for it. He was turning 9 and I thought why not, he's definitely old enough and takes care of the fish with supervision so this should be good.

So I read as much about Guinea Pig care as I could find. Found out they are very social and two pigs are better than one...so of course I got two. Found out that their cage needed a specific amount of sqare feet so I had my husband build a custom one. Also found out they needed to run around a certain amount of time so we got several guinea pig playpens and put them together so the kids could have enough room to sit in them with the pigs and they could run around. Got all the toys, best food, hay, hammock, liner, tunnels, etc. This was going to be done right if we were going to do it.

The only part I had a problem with is that I'm terrified of rodents...yup I don't know why but I am...even rabbits, I won't touch them. So in order to get these things my son and husband promised me they would handle them enough each day and I was ok with that. Went to the pet store (I know but until after this incident I didn't know about Guinea Pig Rescue) made the girl verify that the two I was getting were of the same sex (if you push them in a certain spot their penis will poke out if they are male) so home came Bruce and Alfred...because batman was big in our house two years ago.

The kids are playing with them and I notice they are pooing and peeing as they walk...huh? No where did I read this about them...why was that left out of all the guinea pig sites? Then I come to find out that they do this in their cage as well...they will actually sleep in their mess...eeeewwww! Ok I figure I'll have to learn to live with that and will just clean the cage way more than it said I had to.

All was great the first few weeks...then the trouble started. The "Did you play with the Guinea Pigs yet?" nagging and nagging. These were babies when I got them and after threatening to bring them back to the pet store my son promised he would play with them more (my husband was the only one touching them at this point). So he goes to take them out and one bites him (probably because he hasn't handled them in a while) and now he's terrified to touch them. So this lasts for another two weeks (my husband still the only one handling them) and decide I can't keep them if they aren't going to get enough attention and since I'm afraid to touch them, well I really couldn't help in that department. So I found a home for them where they live in their luxorious custom cage with all their accessories and are handled regularly.

So the reason for not getting Guinea Pigs is not because they don't make good pets or because they poo and pee everywhere, it's because no matter what they say your kids will not be the owners of said Guinea Pigs...you will!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 07:34 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
AWWW.... I had 2 Guineas when I was about that age and I loved them. Stevie and Suzie. What ever happened to them? Senior moment.

My next door neighbor keeps getting pets and getting rid of them, it makes me crazy... this has nothing to do w you Irish...

She had a cute little cat, got rid of it, got a ferret, and a dog, had Guineas before that, rid of all of them, now has another dog, who knows what happened to those hamsters she had...

From what I remember of her pigs... they were stinky..eww, but I sure loved having them when I was little...

AAAHHH These are the days of our lives

Old 06-02-2007, 07:36 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
AWWW.... I had 2 Guineas when I was about that age and I loved them. Stevie and Suzie. What ever happened to them? Senior moment.

My next door neighbor keeps getting pets and getting rid of them, it makes me crazy... this has nothing to do w you Irish...

She had a cute little cat, got rid of it, got a ferret, and a dog, had Guineas before that, rid of all of them, now has another dog, who knows what happened to those hamsters she had...

From what I remember of her pigs... they were stinky..eww, but I sure loved having them when I was little...

AAAHHH These are the days of our lives
she also just got rid of a rabbit... MIL was gonna take it.. to cook...ugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets