Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2010, 08:25 PM

35 posts, read 83,568 times

Advertisements

I am considering position as a mobile (in home)therapist position. The position will require travel to Philly and surrounding areas...Montgomery, Bucks, Chester counties. I have a car but am wondering if it would be easier to utilize train or other public transportation. I will be doing my own scheduling and can allow for travel time...just wondering which would be easier considering parking (1-2 hrs), traffic (travel mostly during after school hours &early on Sat.), and most likely some travel to local schools during school hours. I am hoping to live in the Elkins Park area. Oh and an occasional trip to court. Thanks for the assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 04:43 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
In Philly proper, you can probably get away with public transit most of the time but in the outlying suburbs you'll need a car. Things are too spread out to make effective use of time otherwise.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:49 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Living in Elkins Park, you'll be close to the Jenkintown-Wyncote train station, through which up to four routes happen to pass through on the way to and from Center City. So for those assignments that take you downtown, that would help.

For the suburban trips, it is likely that your car will be more convenient. Like many mass transit systems, SEPTA runs on a hub-and-spoke system. Cross-county rail service is limited and probably not convenient for your purposes.

For that matter, not all Philly schools would be convenient to train or subway stops, so the driving vs. transit decision may end up being a case-by-case basis.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:42 AM

316 posts, read 1,016,351 times
Depending on where in Elkins Park you plan on living, you could just use the Elkins Park train station, its slightly cheaper if taking the train into the city.

But, I agree with Tone, a good deal of Philly schools, and very few suburban schools are convenient to train stops. They are much more accessible by bus, and in Elkins Park, unless its off the couple of lines you could catch easily there, its much easier to use a car. All the transfers you would have to use to get around from Elkins Park would be time consuming, something you do IMO only if a car isn't an option.

Last edited by JasmineFlower; 08-23-2010 at 10:53 AM..

Old 08-23-2010, 03:49 PM

47 posts, read 161,541 times
I would personally want a car since you don't know the areas you will be going into (if they are safe, etc.)....If you did want to take a train into the city I would look into some type of CarShare...Once you are aware of the homes you will be traveling to, if you are comfortable then I would do public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia