Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:56 AM

9 posts, read 14,553 times

Advertisements

I've been scanning real estate listings in Montgomery County and noticed that Ardmore seems to have lower prices than many other communities in the Lower Merion School system. I'm curious what the reason for that is? It seems like a nice area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 11:13 AM

19 posts, read 68,226 times
Default ardmore

Ardmore is a nice area, but there are parts of Armore that aren't very "Main Line" like. Its not a big area but there are a few blocks that are smaller row houses and twins which are much more blue collar than the rest of LM. That area is obviously much cheaper and the areas adjacent to it are therefore somewhat cheaper as well.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:34 PM

134 posts, read 475,181 times
Ardmore is a nice town. Its got some bars, its close to the city as well as the R5 (goes into center city and from there you can get almost anywhere in the city) as well as some speed lines (to various places, including 69th st terminal) off of Haverford Road. There are also many colleges in the vicinity including Haverford College, Bryn Mawr College, Villanova, St. Joes, and some smaller colleges (Harcum, Rosemont College). This gives Ardmore and some of the other towns in the immediate area better nightlife than some of the other towns in the Philly burbs. Not to mention nice restaurants and easy access to the highways. If the area is affordable to you I would highly recommend it.

There are some area's within the town that aren't "desirable" but that doesn't mean they are bad or dangerous areas...it just means they aren't some of the more chic places to live on the main line.

At least thats my take.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:51 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
IMO Ardmore is just as fancy as the rest of the ML but in a different way. It has a more urban feel with many (upscale) shopping centers and a ton of rental apartments and condos and plots are smaller and houses older than adjacent areas which feature more estate type properties.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:49 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,196 times
It has a few blocks of ill maintained twins owned by African Americans. I don't care for it bc of the proximity to the city but others love it for that very reason.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:28 AM

18 posts, read 49,197 times
I currently live in Ardmore. Its a nice enough area...safe. Some bars/restaurants. A better selection of those farther up the Main Line (ie bryn mawr/wayne). Good shopping center. My biggest complaint about Ardmore is it feels very transitional. That can be b/c of the large number of rental homes/units. And the low prices that are so attractive. Many people start here..."first homes". And then move up the mainline to something more permanant. Which leads to less of a community feel. So if you're looking for a place to get your feet we real-estate wise, Ardmore is not a bad place to start. But I'd look elsewhere if i wanted a long-term community.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,368 times
jmgillard---that is not a correct evaluation of Ardmore. When you get into the neighborhoods, you'll find that many long time residents prevail...Of course apartments and condo rentals would make any place seem transitional, Ardmore has a very stable resident base.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,368 times
Wayne as an upgrade? Maybe
Bryn Mawr-Nah

Old 08-23-2011, 07:46 PM

148 posts, read 411,872 times
Was it really necessary to mention that the owners were African American?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
It has a few blocks of ill maintained twins owned by African Americans. I don't care for it bc of the proximity to the city but others love it for that very reason.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:18 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Ardmore just has alittle grit located in a small section, its closer to the city too, but It is still a fantastic town with good shops, its just alittle more urban, than say Bryn Mawr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia