Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 8,414 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into possibly attending grad school at Villanova. What's the city of Ardmore like? Are there entrainment(bars/restaurants) options for a person in their mid twenties? How accessible is Philadelphia from the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 09:42 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
yes, it's a larger suburb with a few things targeted at young professionals. there's probably less than, say, wayne, but access to philly is pretty good, ~20 min train ride, and that line runs until 1:45 am saturday night. has one of the country's first outdoor malls (suburban sq), a gym, a farmer's market, and some bars.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:04 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
The Main Line is very family-oriented for the most part, but Ardmore has a decent grad student niche. It's also very conveniently-located between Villanova and Philadelphia. You can easily get to either by car or rail.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:45 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
My daughters friend did her undergrad at Villanova and I know they have buses on campus that go to the King of Prussia Mall. King of Prussia Mall - King of Prussia, PA 19406 | Simon Malls I think it's a great town. They even have a Trader Joe's!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:28 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Ardmore is definitely on its way back from a period of stagnation, and I think it's a great suburban town for a young person. The upcoming train station revitalization project, whenever it happens, will definitely take Ardmore to the next level as a metropolitan destination. As it is, though, the commuter rail into Philly is very convenient from there.

I think Ardmore itself is especially appealing to young people for its walkability, restaurants, shopping and cultural events. Demographically, it is especially younger compared to the rest of the Main Line.

I would have chosen to live there myself had there been more modern rental properties, but if you're buying, that doesn't apply at all.

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2012, 06:51 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Ardmore isn't really a city. It's not even really a town. It's a downtown that straddles the border of two townships in two different counties.

That said, it's a great place if you're doing the grad school thing. Great transit with the R5 commuter line (recently renamed the Paoli line) the Route 100 light rail and lots of buses. With groceries, restaurants, bars, specialty shops all nearby - if you can manage to score a place downtown you'd hardly need a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia