Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:24 AM

3 posts, read 11,998 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are thinking of relocating to the Philly suburbs from NJ (Somerset County). Which is better (Main Line towns or Bucks County) in terms of taxes and schools (we have 2 children, ages 10 & 13)? Any thoughts about which is less "snobby"? I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere but I don't want to be on top of my neighbor. My husband has offices in Newtown and King of Prussia. I personally would love a walkable town... I know this is a tall order! Thanks so much for your input!

PS - I also want to be far away from the power lines I see in Bucks County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 01:02 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,465 times
I would choose Tredyffrin-Easttown then Chadds Ford or Central Bucks then Lower Merion. TE is the best district this side of the state but the others are top 10 also. Less snobbery in the first three, I would guess lower taxes in this as well. Wayne and Doylestown come to mind as walkable down towns. Also West Chester, Media, Narberth.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:03 PM

316 posts, read 1,015,623 times
Will your husband be in one office more than the other? Is there a reason it has to be Bucks County or Main Line and not somewhere in the middle? How much are you planning on spending on a home?

Looking in Newtown, New Hope, and Doylestown would be a good idea in Bucks County, and you can look into Wayne and Narberth on the Main Line. My other suggestion is to look into Ambler, seems like it would be the best choice overall given what you are looking for plus its in a good location, somewhat between your husband's offices.

Unionville-Chadds Ford is a great school district, but wouldn't suggest it because it will give your husband a pretty long commute to Newtown.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:21 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
your husband has an office in newtown? Perfect.... Great town, great schools .. You could not ask for more

Old 10-25-2010, 06:31 PM

3 posts, read 11,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineFlower View Post
Will your husband be in one office more than the other? Is there a reason it has to be Bucks County or Main Line and not somewhere in the middle? How much are you planning on spending on a home?

Looking in Newtown, New Hope, and Doylestown would be a good idea in Bucks County, and you can look into Wayne and Narberth on the Main Line. My other suggestion is to look into Ambler, seems like it would be the best choice overall given what you are looking for plus its in a good location, somewhat between your husband's offices.

Unionville-Chadds Ford is a great school district, but wouldn't suggest it because it will give your husband a pretty long commute to Newtown.
Hi There - thanks for the reply - I'd say he's in KOP 75% and Newtown 25% and yes it could be somewhere in the middle - price? about $700-900K

Old 10-26-2010, 09:13 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,490 times
I second Ambler

Old 10-26-2010, 11:16 AM

19 posts, read 68,154 times
Default Ambler

I personally like Ambler but if they are looking in the 900k range, I imagine Ambler is a bit grittier than they'd want.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:41 PM

316 posts, read 1,015,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicetomeetyou View Post
Hi There - thanks for the reply - I'd say he's in KOP 75% and Newtown 25% and yes it could be somewhere in the middle - price? about $700-900K
Great. So, I suggest looking in the Ambler/Blue Bell area and then you can look next to it as well in the Upper Dublin area as well. Ambler is the town with the walkable downtown near both of these areas. Add these to the other towns you are looking in. Both great school districts, Ambler/Blue Bell is in the Wissahickon SD, and Upper Dublin's school district of the same name.

In terms of Main Line towns, you'll do better staying closer to King of Prussia IMO, which will be T/E SD and you can look in Devon, Berwyn, and Wayne with your price point, with Wayne having the walkable downtown. Now, not a walkable town as a whole, but a walkable downtown. There's a decent chance that you will not want to walk from your house to town from where you live if you choose Wayne (that's also the case with Ambler - you'll be close but not walking distance from your house close especially given the roads in both areas).

I'd say only choose Bucks County if there's something there you love, love, love about it more than another area. Your husband will have about an hour commute from many of the places you'll likely be looking into in Bucks County getting to King of Prussia. Which might be a lot if that's his main commute.

As for snobbiness - I've seen many times on these forums people suggest choosing TE over other Main Line SDs when looking at the Main Line when requesting less snobby areas. Not completely sure why, TE is slightly less expensive than the other ones, but not by much. I've met many high school students in the area, certainly from these districts and you're gonna find snobs and entitlement in all of them, including from Conestoga. But I've also met many great kids from them as well. I'm not saying to stay away from these schools in the least, they are excellent schools. But in terms of snobs, I can't say you should choose Conestoga to get less snobby. And I think to a certain extent, it comes with the territory of buying a $900k home in an area that doesn't contain economic diversity within the township, and ML struggles with that for the most part.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:43 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,465 times
T/E encompasses Chesterbrook which has townhomes and condos and also Paoli which is less expensive. The Berwyn and Devon addresses are more snobby as is that side of the district that attends T/E Middle School. The Valley Forge Middle side has a more wholesome feel if you will and a good number of Asian and Indian kids; I am so glad we did not buy on the other side of the district as the people are a bit much to take IMO.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:43 PM

692 posts, read 2,350,664 times
You can't get much better than Council Rock (Newtown/Richboro/Holland) or Central Bucks (Doylestown) schools. As far as a walkable downtown - Newtown & Doylestown have that too! I think you can't go wrong with either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia