Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,994 times

Advertisements

We are a couple in our 50's who will be moving sometime next year. Self-employed so timing is open. Children are grown, though one is still in college so she would be home summers/breaks. Also, one is recent grad who is currently unemployed. Work would require frequent drives to Harrisburg and D.C. We would like to try to rent for at least a year, but would like to rent near where we would like to end up. We have 2 dogs, one large and one small. A house would be ideal because we have filled a large house for many hears. Yard size is irrelevant. Safety, close proximity to walking areas, grocery, restaurants, and other good shopping is a high priority. If it matters, we are Catholic and would love a close, active church. As for pricing, if renting, we would like to stay around $3,000 or less - really don't know what to expect in Philly area. Once ready to purchase would stay below $600,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 01:07 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
will you be visiting state government and capitol hill? if so, you may want to consider using Amtrak which has fast and reliable service to DC and harrisburg. if so, you may want to consider living in the city itself, for $3k you should have plenty of options. fairmount neighborhood, queen village, chestnut hill, wayne...or if you like modern, northern liberties

Old 12-15-2010, 01:14 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Based on Reading your wants/needs i might recommend the Area by Exton/West Chester. It will offer single home living close to walkable downtown (West Chester) and good access to Harrisburg and DC (Via Exton Amtrak).

This are is approx an hour from Center Philly, 1.5 hours to Harissburg, and ~2-2.5 to DC

It is in suburban Chester County

Also most of Philadelphia has large Catholic populations, by far the most prominent religion in the area

Old 12-15-2010, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,994 times
Default More info on move...

Looking at first 2 posts I guess I should specify that we would prefer suburb vs. city. I looked at West Chester on the web and looks like a nice community, though being a bit closer to the city would be great because we love to go to shows, sporting events, etc. We previously lived near city areas. I suppose some will depend on what we are willing to spend to be closer. And still, the daily living conveniences are more important - close to cafes, coffee shops, book stores, nice mall, and a subdivision area that is good for walking. And from reading your post, access to train could be a benefit. Though will probably still drive a lot. How about train system into Philly? Is that used a lot by locals? Day and night? When we lived in northern NJ it was great to have a train option into NYC.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:10 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
the Keystone train to harrisburg runs 14 times a day and offers trip times competitive with driving. the station is only a couple blocks from the capitol.
in the closer in suburbs, train use is pretty common, even for a night out. west of, say, malvern train service on weekends is non-existent on SEPTA...you'd be better off on amtrak there (though they don't run nearly as late but are much faster than locals from 30th). based on your second post, I think wayne (not cheap but within your budget) would be the best, followed by ardmore (home to suburban square shopping center-google it). these are older towns, not necessarily subdivision towns with excellent train access. ardmore has the added benefit of being both a short SEPTA ride into Philly and an amtrak stop to/from harrisburg and nyc. Paoli is also that way, though less walkable, it's a good town with great train service. shopping is strip mall stuff but they do have a kitchen kapers, talbot's, etc. all are a short drive to KoP which is one of the larger shopping malls on the east coast. if you didn't know already, clothing is exempt from the sales tax. chestnut hill is in the city limits but it's a suburb, has a quaint belgian block main st with decent shopping, and proximity to the turnpike, and okay commuter service into the city.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:51 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,135 times
Default Consider Chestnut Hill and Mt Airy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mover1002 View Post
We are a couple in our 50's who will be moving sometime next year. Self-employed so timing is open. Children are grown, though one is still in college so she would be home summers/breaks. Also, one is recent grad who is currently unemployed. Work would require frequent drives to Harrisburg and D.C. We would like to try to rent for at least a year, but would like to rent near where we would like to end up. We have 2 dogs, one large and one small. A house would be ideal because we have filled a large house for many hears. Yard size is irrelevant. Safety, close proximity to walking areas, grocery, restaurants, and other good shopping is a high priority. If it matters, we are Catholic and would love a close, active church. As for pricing, if renting, we would like to stay around $3,000 or less - really don't know what to expect in Philly area. Once ready to purchase would stay below $600,000.
Consider northwest Philly, specifically Chestnut Hill and Mt Airy - excellent access to two regional rail lines (and, in turn, Amtrak) - about 20 minutes to Center City (aka Downtown). Equally good access to PA Tpk (for H'burg) and Blue Route (I476, for DC - a little over 3 hours, depending when you travel). Wissahickon Creek has miles of trails that are well-suited for dog walking. Germantown Ave has good shopping in both areas, and you're about 15 minutes from malls in Plymouth Meeting.
You'll love it here - I moved from Chapel Hill to E Mt Airy 2 1/2 years ago. Friends there thought my wife and I were crazy, but once they see the area, they understand the appeal. My wife works for a local realtor who's been doing business here for 30+ years. Let me know if you want their contact information.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:35 AM

398 posts, read 732,762 times
I second the Chestnut Hill and Mt Airy recommendations. Beautiful areas to live in.

There are so many suburbs around Philly that it's hard to narrow them down. I also would recommend looking at Lansdowne and Drexel Hill, quite a bit more affordable and with beautiful old victorian homes. Very easy access into Center City.

There's also some great suburbs on the NJ side. Access to Harrisburg would be a little tougher since you'd have to drive through to the other side of Philly, unless you're taking Amtrak. But getting to D.C. from Jersey is a snap since you can take 295 or the Turnpike straight down to the Delaware Memorial Bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia