Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:52 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,238,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

There are 3200 counties in the USA. Chester County is the 19th wealthiest,Montgomery County 40th wealthiest, Bucks County the 55th wealthiest. In the 10 suburban counties surrounding Philadlephia 7 of them are amont the top 150 wealthiest in the USA.
im sorry but my views and opinions are not based on wealth. thats really disgusting. i base my opinions on experiences. enjoy your money sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 03:36 PM

23 posts, read 53,050 times
600/700k in the doylestown area with 3-5 acres are total fixer uppers... Trust me- moved from jersey to pa and looked at everything there. Check out Collegeville, great town!

Old 01-04-2011, 07:16 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
uhh sure pal. your right. its very unbland. clearly your offended because im not as much of a supporter of your hometown as you are. and BTW i never said the WHOLE area was bland and typical. ive been around enough to see several different suburban areas in the country. and this is NO different. ticky tacky ticky tacky....as the song goes.
Ironically, the same song you're quoting was inspired by Malvina Reynolds experience in a suburban area in California (Daly City -- outside of San Francisco): Malvina Reynolds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In all honesty, I think you can find bland, boring suburbia everywhere, but there is far less of it here than in most areas of the country. The Philly area definitely has a very strong and unique sense of place with its numerous villages, local culture, human-scaled main streets, charming historic architecture and a major world-class downtown.

However, much as you idealize anywhere, no place is absolutely perfect -- even glamorous California (although some of that SoCal weather would be nice for a few weeks in the winter ).

Old 01-05-2011, 10:56 PM

35 posts, read 106,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
thank you for the kind words. i should also note that i did not grow up in the philly area. grew up in north jersey so i dont have that inner love for the region. my regret is my own fault. i had a chance to move to san diego about 5 years ago. i let the chance go by thinking that i could do it at a later time. then i got married, bought a house, and got a full time job. i work for the state gov't. i always look at gov't jobs in socal to see whats hiring. they have openings but my wife is not all for the move either.
I think it's all about perspective and what you want...Socal and CA in general is in bad shape right now. Especially the government. We are in MAJOR debt. I can't remember if you said you have kids...But the public schools here are terrible. Even in the affluent areas. There were a ton of furloughs on gov't jobs not too long ago too. We're actually wanting to leave because it is only going to get worse over the next few years before it gets better. Which I know is the case pretty much everywhere. However, my fam is in Philly. And we are primarily moving to be closer to people. I have a love-hate relationship with Cali. It's definitely not for everyone. It depends what you want in life and if your outlook matches with the area. Although I love the active lifestyle, I also miss the history and the arts. It's just different out her. As for a love of the area...a friend, who lived in Philly and wasn't from there, told me that "once the dust of Philly gets on your feet, it's hard to get it off." she lives out here in CA near me and she is totally right. For me at least. I was so anti-Philly for the longest time. I remember needing to go somewhere else so I could grow and become the person that I wanted to be and felt couldn't become because the city had a tight grip. Being from Philly can come with a lot of baggage because you have to be tough your whole life. I was tired of being tough. I feel in going back I am so different and have created routines and new patterns that won't change now. My values are different.

Maybe just take some vacations to SoCal in the meantime. You never know what the future brings and if nothing else, positivity is the right attitude. Don't let the unhappiness of the day-to-day get ya down. Just gotta keep on keepin on. If you build it, they will come. Sounds like you have a lifelong dream to get out West. Just see what's out there. Travel a bit. It can't hurt. The things that bug me out here are the complacency of the people. But you might feel differently. Not everyone is the same which is what makes the world so great.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:58 PM

35 posts, read 106,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

However, much as you idealize anywhere, no place is absolutely perfect -- even glamorous California (although some of that SoCal weather would be nice for a few weeks in the winter ).
I totally agree. But maybe CA is where you would be happy. Take some trips.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:02 PM

177 posts, read 256,726 times
Lehigh Valley and Northampton is much nicer.

Stay away from anything near Philly.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:55 PM

5 posts, read 6,489 times
There is really nothing wrong with moving to Bucks County. You have reasonable access to two great cities, nature, lots of attractive small towns, nature, culture, nature, four beautiful seasons, etc., etc. Yes, the winter weather means dressing for cold and snow, but so what. Snow is pretty, and lots of kids (and some adults) like playing in the snow. And with the economy and housing market the way it is now, there is no doubt that the OP will be able to find sufficient land, if not 5 acres, for what he wants to do.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:45 AM

118 posts, read 283,852 times
I think your best opportunities will be in Bucks County or Southern Chester County. You can have a great blend of moderately rural with a pretty sophisticated group of neighbors. Lehigh and Berks counties are much further from any enterntainment, dining, schools, etc. that might be of real interest to you. In this market you should certainly be able to get something great <$1 million.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:55 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
good advise....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmxcarol View Post
I think your best opportunities will be in Bucks County or Southern Chester County. You can have a great blend of moderately rural with a pretty sophisticated group of neighbors. Lehigh and Berks counties are much further from any enterntainment, dining, schools, etc. that might be of real interest to you. In this market you should certainly be able to get something great <$1 million.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:55 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
try HotPads - Map Search for Real Estate, Apartments & Houses for Rent, Foreclosures and Homes for Sale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia