Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 06:46 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times

Advertisements

Could you name a few places that are family friendly in Philly but that are IN the city, (zip code would also help) where you can walk to a school, or grocery store, bakeries, museums, theaters etc...

Thank you,

(PS It can be either multi level town home or SFH with some yard if any)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 09:08 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
that's difficult since most of the good public schools are magnets and charters. merideth has a good reputation in queen village and jenks in chestnut hill. you didn't give a price so I'll go with chestnut hill (no theaters but it has everything else). if you consider catholic and private schools as well, things change

Old 01-04-2011, 10:34 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
that's difficult since most of the good public schools are magnets and charters. merideth has a good reputation in queen village and jenks in chestnut hill. you didn't give a price so I'll go with chestnut hill (no theaters but it has everything else). if you consider catholic and private schools as well, things change
Don't forget Greenfield near Rittenhouse Square as well.

To the OP: Merideth and Greenfield are located in Center City (downtown) where you would find the multi-level townhomes you are open to as well as all the amenities that you seek. However, like Chestnut Hill, homes in this area are among the most expensive in the city and will include a much smaller yard, if any at all.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:14 AM

add penn alexander in spruce hill as well. anyone known where catchment maps can be found?

Old 01-04-2011, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,552 times
My family is moving to Philly this August, and am looking for similar information. We've already looked at Sadie Alexander, and were very impressed. How do Meredith, Jenks and Greenfield compare to Sadie Alexander, in your opinion?

Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times
McCall also in center city - Society Hill - 19106. Also Houston and Henry in West Mt. Airy.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:33 PM

here's the merideth map
Meredith Elementary School Catchment Boundaries Map, Queen Village Philadelphia
interesting about mccall
Quote:
75% of McCall graduates attend magnet and select admission high schools. These include Central High School, National Constitution Center High School, Creative and Performing Arts High School (CAPA), Science Leadership Academy, Philadelphia High School for Girls (Girls High), Carver High School for Engineering and Science, and Parkway Center City High School, Academy at Palumbo, Bodine High School for International Affairs, and Saul High School for Agricultural Sciences. The neighborhood High School is Furness.
McCall Public School | Center City Schools

HERE WE GO...CATCHMENTS
https://webapps.philasd.org/school_profile

HOUSTON actually spans parts of east and west mt airy

Old 01-04-2011, 01:43 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
Thank you much,

I also pulled this for Bucks county:
ZIP Code Directory Search & Map - Bucks County, Pennsylvania ZIP codes from ZIP Code Download (http://www.zipcodedownload.com/Directory/ZIP5/Pennsylvania/Bucks/ - broken link)

Can anyone please tell me which one of these zip codes are the closest to the city? like....maybe 15, 20 minutes? and which are connected to the city by public transit? I didn't see many options for rentals (3/2 or 4/2) in the city...is there a better website to find these rentals?

Also, I am not 100% familiar with the school system here being European, I am learning, is there anyone that can help us locate the best school for our kids? think "tour guide"....it is the closet thing I can relate it with right now.....or is it trial and error, meaning we have to keep moving them until we find the best fit? we are elementary level now with one Autistic kid that has an IEP which can be applied in any elementary school.

Thank you,

Old 01-04-2011, 02:22 PM

212 posts, read 610,362 times
You might want to look at Collingswood. 15 minute ride into Philadelphia on PATCO and the trains run frequently and it's a walkable town. The elementary school system has an in-district autism program.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:52 PM

681 posts, read 1,511,930 times
I would second the choice of Collingswood, NJ. All of those walkable things that you're looking for are there plus safety with way more opportunites for kids who play sports. The city just doesn't have the fields...or the budget to support that. You can be in CC Philly in under 15 mins on the PATCO. It comes every 6 minutes during rush hour. The elementary schools are excellent. Check out the town website with a google search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia