Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 04:01 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Both Pennsylvania and Philadelphia (along with New York State and City) are the only two states and cities that have remained at the top of the census data since it began in 1790, very impressive.

I don't get caught up on the population stats...

Philadelphia has 1.6M people in 142 sq miles.
Phoenix has about 1.6M people in 517 sq miles.
San Antonio has about 1.5M people in 465 sq miles.

If you were to expand Philadelphia boundaries to 500 sq miles, it would add another 1-2 million people, depending on the direction. Most people usually overlook stats like sq mileage, but whatever.

BUT, I don't think Philadelphia should annex land, the city has enough problems, and the suburbs would suffer (particularly Montgomery County) if they were to combine with the city.

I think the Philadelphia region is a compact yet extremely powerful area, probably the most underrated or afterthought major metro when it comes to thinking of population and power. (when I say major, I'm talking of the biggest cities and metros, not mid sized ones).

Philadelphia is right up there with all the big players and its literally half the size in land area compared to some.

If I could change one thing it would be to make Delaware a part of Pennsylvania. It would add 1 million people to the state, and Delaware packs a mighty economic punch for a tiny state, and PA would officially have a coastline.
The funny part of that is that Delaware started out as part of Pennsylvania, after the English outnumbered the Dutch and Swedes (The lower counties).

I'd like to see some of the blocks near Columbia/Cecil B Moore revert to twins. After the Civil War that area was developed with twins that were replaced with plain, tight rows circa 1900. Some of the twins survived on cross streets. A lot of the rows were torn down when they became crack houses. There's an opportunity there, if anyone knows a developer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 11:20 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Well now the reverse has happened

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

https://www.moving.com/tips/the-top-...by-population/

Old 02-02-2020, 04:28 AM

558 posts, read 299,502 times
I've always looked at the size of the Metropolitan area, not just the city. After all, Philadelphia has around 1.5- 1.6 million people but the metro is more like 6.5 million.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:34 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
I've always looked at the size of the Metropolitan area, not just the city. After all, Philadelphia has around 1.5- 1.6 million people but the metro is more like 6.5 million.
It is also one of the smallest major metro areas from a square mileage measurement, which I find more impressive than metros the size of a state, like Dallas.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:34 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
I think most of us have come to a common consensus that comparing Philly to cities like Houston and Phoenix has become almost meaningless for various reasons. Also those cities will have serious environmental problems to deal with in the coming future. Phoenix with its water shortage and Houston being one of the most hurricane prone cities in the country will certainly impact the long term population growth for those cities.

However with that being said, Philly is now a growing city and gone are the days of significant population loss continuing decade after decade with no end in sight. Philly has made great strides in recent years. The population is becoming more diverse each year. The city is poised for another office boom. The metro area continues to grow. While South Jersey's growth has been collectively stagnant, it won't stay that way for long as South Jersey will eventually bounce back. The Philadelphia-Reading-Atlantic City area has a population of over 7 million people, which is something that can't be ignored.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I think most of us have come to a common consensus that comparing Philly to cities like Houston and Phoenix has become almost meaningless for various reasons. Also those cities will have serious environmental problems to deal with in the coming future. Phoenix with its water shortage and Houston being one of the most hurricane prone cities in the country will certainly impact the long term population growth for those cities.

However with that being said, Philly is now a growing city and gone are the days of significant population loss continuing decade after decade with no end in sight. Philly has made great strides in recent years. The population is becoming more diverse each year. The city is poised for another office boom. The metro area continues to grow. While South Jersey's growth has been collectively stagnant, it won't stay that way for long as South Jersey will eventually bounce back. The Philadelphia-Reading-Atlantic City area has a population of over 7 million people, which is something that can't be ignored.
Maybe Philly is a good investment afterall. Thanks

What is driving the growth? I once heard there is experimental medicine going on. How come you guys did not make a bid to Amazon?

Old 02-14-2020, 07:42 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Maybe Philly is a good investment afterall. Thanks

What is driving the growth? I once heard there is experimental medicine going on. How come you guys did not make a bid to Amazon?
Philadelphia did make a bid for Amazon hq2 and ended up in the top ten finalists. Not sure how you missed that.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:57 AM

752 posts, read 460,420 times
Just a general comment, the official census count happens every decade. Every count in between are unofficial estimates so no place passed any place.....yet.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:21 AM

273 posts, read 207,150 times
Philly had a great pitch to Amazon, imo. https://public.philadelphiadelivers.com/ Too bad the whole thing was fixed from the start.

Old 02-15-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Philadelphia did make a bid for Amazon hq2 and ended up in the top ten finalists. Not sure how you missed that.
I heard about NOVA, NYC, and Newark. And I think one other spot somewhere in the Midwest. I heard nothing from Philly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
Philly had a great pitch to Amazon, imo. https://public.philadelphiadelivers.com/ Too bad the whole thing was fixed from the start.
Indeed Philly ought to be a prime spot for companies looking for a spot in the NE Corridor. It is like a gateway heading into NE Corridor, Quebec, and Canadian Maritime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia