Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2022, 02:15 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Allan Domb resigned from City Council an hour ago to run for Mayor. Good for him. Count me in as a fan who's willing to vote for him. Need to see who else announces they're running first.
If Jeff Brown doesn't run, I'll back Domb as well. Rebecca Rhynhart is also a strong contender, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2022, 02:18 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
If Jeff Brown doesn't run, I'll back Domb as well. Rebecca Rhynhart is also a strong contender, though.
They are three I would lean towards. I just want someone who is pragmatic and not afraid to step on some toes to get things done. I want to know every single person’s plan to fix the streets dept.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:36 PM

445 posts, read 413,295 times
I like Domb and Ryhnhart, personally favoring Rhynhart but I'll absolutely vote for Domb if it comes down to it. Not a huge Brown fan, IDK, seems like a stiff from the Northwest who will run the city caving to NIMBYs. I'm also in favor of the soda tax. We need an urbanist as Mayor and I just don't see Brown as that but willing to listen to him.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:42 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
I actually forgot about Brown’s insistence that the soda tax was going to put grocery stores out of business. Obviously that proved false.

Old 08-16-2022, 06:51 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times
I might be in the minority here on C-D, but this actually makes me feel a bit hopeful. PPA is going to start targeting drivers who unlawfully stop in bike lanes. Every car-lover in the city laments "why not use the bike lane!?" when it just becomes a convenient place for vehicles to hit the emergencies and stop whenever they feel like it. It's so disrespectful and unsafe, and just imagine what vehicles would do to cyclists if we just stopped and put up the kick stand in the middle of their lane whenever we felt like it.

The one issue the article brings up is delivery drivers who can't fit anywhere else. I'd actually be okay with them continuing to stop in bike lanes when necessary IF other vehicles on the street understood the situation and yielded to cyclists trying to merge... not sure when Philly drivers will gain that level of situational awareness.

https://whyy.org/articles/philly-bike-lane-patrol/

Old 08-16-2022, 08:48 AM

445 posts, read 413,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I might be in the minority here on C-D, but this actually makes me feel a bit hopeful. PPA is going to start targeting drivers who unlawfully stop in bike lanes. Every car-lover in the city laments "why not use the bike lane!?" when it just becomes a convenient place for vehicles to hit the emergencies and stop whenever they feel like it. It's so disrespectful and unsafe, and just imagine what vehicles would do to cyclists if we just stopped and put up the kick stand in the middle of their lane whenever we felt like it.

The one issue the article brings up is delivery drivers who can't fit anywhere else. I'd actually be okay with them continuing to stop in bike lanes when necessary IF other vehicles on the street understood the situation and yielded to cyclists trying to merge... not sure when Philly drivers will gain that level of situational awareness.

https://whyy.org/articles/philly-bike-lane-patrol/
Totally supportive of this! It's about time we have a real, separated, protected bike lane network across the city. This isn't rocket science, it's what every other city already has.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:16 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
^ I'm totally on board!
Philadelphia is a dense city, pedestrians and bikes should be prioritized over cars. And Philly is behind it's counterparts (SF, Chicago, Boston) in terms of bike lanes, networks, protections, etc.

These small changes go a long way.

Old 08-16-2022, 04:12 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
Totally supportive of this! It's about time we have a real, separated, protected bike lane network across the city. This isn't rocket science, it's what every other city already has.
I would modify this on the streets of Center City as Muinteoir describes above.

Unless we got rid of the parking lane entirely (which I wouldn't object to, but I guarantee would trigger vehement protests from residents and business owners alike) and allowed delivery vehicles to stop in that new second travel lane for short periods, there's not much real estate for delivery vehicles to use to fulfill their mission on most Center City streets (Market, Broad, JFK Boulevard and 22d Street are the exceptions).

So, as stated above, I'd be okay with buffered bike lanes on these streets, but not with lanes fully protected from vehicle intrusion. Delivery vehicles could use them for up to 15 minutes at each stop they make. Everyone else would be ticketed.

Old 08-16-2022, 05:08 PM

463 posts, read 206,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I would modify this on the streets of Center City as Muinteoir describes above.

Unless we got rid of the parking lane entirely (which I wouldn't object to, but I guarantee would trigger vehement protests from residents and business owners alike) and allowed delivery vehicles to stop in that new second travel lane for short periods, there's not much real estate for delivery vehicles to use to fulfill their mission on most Center City streets (Market, Broad, JFK Boulevard and 22d Street are the exceptions).

So, as stated above, I'd be okay with buffered bike lanes on these streets, but not with lanes fully protected from vehicle intrusion. Delivery vehicles could use them for up to 15 minutes at each stop they make. Everyone else would be ticketed.
Why not just give up some of the parking spots (rather than all) and make them delivery spots with a 15 minute limit on the parking side of the street? To me the problem was always that they never accounted for delivery vehicles having a space to temporarily park.

I would not support temp parking in bike lanes because merging will always be dangerous and people will abuse it.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:18 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
Why not just give up some of the parking spots (rather than all) and make them delivery spots with a 15 minute limit on the parking side of the street? To me the problem was always that they never accounted for delivery vehicles having a space to temporarily park.

I would not support temp parking in bike lanes because merging will always be dangerous and people will abuse it.
Some streets in Manhattan designate parking spaces as loading / commercial only during the day. That would be wise parts of Center City, or at least near corners.

And to your point, why should bike lanes have be sacrificed first? I'm over the love affair with cars and parking in Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia