Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2016, 08:38 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
It's similar to some of the other unions' mentality AFAICT. They hide behind a single argument and whine. Like the union guys that got booted from the Convention center. For a while I wondered "why don't they manage their employees better, work harder, improve their reputation, apply for other jobs, step up?" But that's not their MO. They are told by their superiors that they're wronged, not that they need to stay relevant through hard work and skill.
The local Carpenters' Union's bone-headedness, possibly caused by their actions regarding the PA Convention Ctr, caused the national carpenters' union reps to yank local control from them. That happened back in the Spring, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 08:42 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,266,897 times
New jobs for Camden: Chemical company moving to Camden with help from $139 million in tax breaks

Old 10-16-2016, 10:25 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I am thinking Camden will start to uptick, mostly due to Philadelphia's success.

Old 10-16-2016, 01:07 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,357,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I am thinking Camden will start to uptick, mostly due to Philadelphia's success.
Camden could definitely become a Jersey City in the future. It already has easy transit access that puts it closer to CC than many parts of Philly.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:09 AM

377 posts, read 475,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Camden could definitely become a Jersey City in the future. It already has easy transit access that puts it closer to CC than many parts of Philly.
Personally I think we'll all be dead before that becomes a possibility.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
Personally I think we'll all be dead before that becomes a possibility.
Things can change quickly. I mean who actually thought people would voluntarily be moving to Newark? I met a few people who have so they can take PATH into Manhattan.

Over-the-Rhine in Cincinnati used to be one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in America just a few years ago. Today, it's full of development, hipster bars, a new streetcar, and it's honestly a really cool neighborhood.

Idk enough individual neighborhoods nationwide, but I think Camden has the right aspects to become a much better city pretty quickly as Philly keeps growing and getting more expensive. It's hit or miss with these types of future projections, but I wouldn't rule out Camden making a strong comeback.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:59 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Things can change quickly. I mean who actually thought people would voluntarily be moving to Newark? I met a few people who have so they can take PATH into Manhattan.

Over-the-Rhine in Cincinnati used to be one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in America just a few years ago. Today, it's full of development, hipster bars, a new streetcar, and it's honestly a really cool neighborhood.

Idk enough individual neighborhoods nationwide, but I think Camden has the right aspects to become a much better city pretty quickly as Philly keeps growing and getting more expensive. It's hit or miss with these types of future projections, but I wouldn't rule out Camden making a strong comeback.
I'm certain that Camden will make a comeback, but I doubt that any of us will live to see it. Some or all of us might live to see it start to improve.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm certain that Camden will make a comeback, but I doubt that any of us will live to see it. Some or all of us might live to see it start to improve.
I guess a little off topic, but how long would you say it took Hoboken to reach the level that it's at? Jersey City is also catching up, but Hoboken is the clear prime city in NNJ for livability and people seeking the NYC lifestyle in NJ. Because Camden should strive to be the Hoboken of South Jersey.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:20 PM

377 posts, read 475,035 times
Quote:

This is the key - Hoboken and now parts of JC became what they are because Manhattan (and then Brooklyn) became so ridiculously expensive. Also, geographically Manhattan is a tiny island and Hoboken/JC have prime public transit that's more convenient to many job locations than upper Manhattan or any of the other boroughs. Newark may experience something similar, although the jury is definitely still out on this one.

So, most likely, for Camden to experience a similar turnaround you need:

1) Continual job, and especially, population growth in Philly
2) Real estate prices to increase dramatically in all of the areas that would be considered a more attractive place to live (amenities, location, commute, etc.)

Seems really unlikely to me that that's going to come together in any sort of realistic timeframe as core parts of Philly still have a lot of room for growth.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:09 PM

1,213 posts, read 956,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
This is the key - Hoboken and now parts of JC became what they are because Manhattan (and then Brooklyn) became so ridiculously expensive. Also, geographically Manhattan is a tiny island and Hoboken/JC have prime public transit that's more convenient to many job locations than upper Manhattan or any of the other boroughs. Newark may experience something similar, although the jury is definitely still out on this one.

So, most likely, for Camden to experience a similar turnaround you need:

1) Continual job, and especially, population growth in Philly
2) Real estate prices to increase dramatically in all of the areas that would be considered a more attractive place to live (amenities, location, commute, etc.)

Seems really unlikely to me that that's going to come together in any sort of realistic timeframe as core parts of Philly still have a lot of room for growth.

Eh, I don't know about that. As Philly continues to grow, and the gentrification moves concentrically from CC, affordable places are getting scare. At this pace, in five years the "affordable" neighborhoods will be northern Port Richmond and extreme southwestern S. Philly. Couple this with the traffic making commuting into town via 76 or 96 virtually impossible, and I could easily see the Camden waterfront become a nice destination for CC-workers. I doubt this would extend beyond the waterfront however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia