Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2016, 05:07 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Eh, I don't know about that. As Philly continues to grow, and the gentrification moves concentrically from CC, affordable places are getting scare. At this pace, in five years the "affordable" neighborhoods will be northern Port Richmond and extreme southwestern S. Philly. Couple this with the traffic making commuting into town via 76 or 96 virtually impossible, and I could easily see the Camden waterfront become a nice destination for CC-workers. I doubt this would extend beyond the waterfront however.
I agree with both of you. However, there's no doubt that Philly will need to improve employment-wise to continue its current growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 05:57 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Eh, I don't know about that. As Philly continues to grow, and the gentrification moves concentrically from CC, affordable places are getting scare. At this pace, in five years the "affordable" neighborhoods will be northern Port Richmond and extreme southwestern S. Philly. Couple this with the traffic making commuting into town via 76 or 96 virtually impossible, and I could easily see the Camden waterfront become a nice destination for CC-workers. I doubt this would extend beyond the waterfront however.
Christie just killed the reciprocal tax agreement with Pennsylvania. That's not going to help Camden. Hopefully, when Christie gets locked up or leaves on his own the reciprocal tax agreement will be restored.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:54 AM

1,213 posts, read 956,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I agree with both of you. However, there's no doubt that Philly will need to improve employment-wise to continue its current growth.
Yes, completely agree with this. Hopefully with Comcast expanding, our entrepreneurial tech companies growing, and our independent breweries/restaurant scene, we'll continue to expand as a desirable hub of employment. Although, to your point, it could easily fall apart if something happens to Comcast or if we start losing educated millennials at a quick pace...

Old 10-19-2016, 04:39 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,233,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Christie just killed the reciprocal tax agreement with Pennsylvania. That's not going to help Camden. Hopefully, when Christie gets locked up or leaves on his own the reciprocal tax agreement will be restored.
I agree with you on the reciprocal tax agreement being detrimental not only to Camden, but to South Jersey as a whole. I'm currently a junior at Temple (senior next semester), and I was recently offered an interview at a financial company in Marlton for a position after I graduate next year. I wouldn't want to work there or anywhere in Jersey because of the agreement. My heart is set on living in Philadelphia after graduation, and I can't imagine paying NJ taxes, PA taxes, Philly wage tax, AND Philly city tax!

Old 10-19-2016, 07:11 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Since you're probably knowledgeable about NJ politics is this his final F U to NJ before he's likely to get indicted for bridgegate?
Yep, here's hoping it will be restored.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Since you're probably knowledgeable about NJ politics is this his final F U to NJ before he's likely to get indicted for bridgegate?
Yep, here's hoping it will be restored.
It's probably yet another f u to South Jersey. The reciprocal tax kept me in South Jersey rather than move into the city. I was not the only person.

Here's how much of a moron he is. With the exception of Camden County, South Jersey is pretty much Republican.

I hope that they lock him up & throw away the key.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I agree with you on the reciprocal tax agreement being detrimental not only to Camden, but to South Jersey as a whole. I'm currently a junior at Temple (senior next semester), and I was recently offered an interview at a financial company in Marlton for a position after I graduate next year. I wouldn't want to work there or anywhere in Jersey because of the agreement. My heart is set on living in Philadelphia after graduation, and I can't imagine paying NJ taxes, PA taxes, Philly wage tax, AND Philly city tax!
Do the interview. Experience is experience. Worst case scenario, you get an apartment in Cherry Hill, get a year or two of experience, then get a better job in Philadelphia & move into the city. If the reciprocal agreement is reinstated, commute from Philadelphia.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:55 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
It's probably yet another f u to South Jersey. The reciprocal tax kept me in South Jersey rather than move into the city. I was not the only person.

Here's how much of a moron he is. With the exception of Camden County, South Jersey is pretty much Republican.

I hope that they lock him up & throw away the key.
Wait... isn't he planning on being a part of the Trump administration? Lol

Old 10-20-2016, 06:12 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I used to work in Cherry Hill and commuted from the city. It got expensive real quick. Federal, PA, and Philadelphia tax, $5 toll every day, having to fight traffic on 95, and paying for gas, all added up very quick. Now that the gas tax is going up in New Jersey, and the tax agreement is being thrown out, I couldn't imagine having to do that commute.

People who have never had to commute out to the suburbs don't realize how much of a godsend it is to be able to live, work, and play all in the same place while rarely having to touch their car. I'm just thankful I'm one of those people now.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:16 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Fantastic new program adopted by the Philadelphia School District: Free associate's degrees coming for some Phila. H.S. students
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia