Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2022, 03:06 PM

463 posts, read 206,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
The left is almost as culturally rotten as the right.
It is as rotten. But the left thinks it's smarter and educated, and it likes to silence those that disagree which is why I think it's much more dangerous than the right. And its oblivious to fiscal responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 04:35 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
It is as rotten. But the left thinks it's smarter and educated, and it likes to silence those that disagree which is why I think it's much more dangerous than the right. And its oblivious to fiscal responsibility.
The right takes a moral and militant high-ground about "saving the country," and they're far more armed and angry than the left. In that sense, it's ludicrous to call the left "much more dangerous."

Fact of the matter is that there are many on the left that are well-intentioned, but too obstinate to be pragmatic. That's really what describes this housing protest fiasco.

Old 09-24-2022, 05:19 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,454,596 times
Quote:
The left is almost as culturally rotten as the right.
Yet centrists claim to have the high ground on the ideals of rationalism and pragmatism, when in truth there is plenty of criticism to be had for these ideologues. Ultimately, citizen on citizen critique needs to be less concerned with labels, and more concerned with issues. Yes, the so-called activists in this housing fiasco were extremely out of touch. It wouldn't be the first time left-of-center people were out of touch. All the same, centrists and right-of-center people are often out of touch. When it comes to citizens, I think it's best to just stick to the issues. (Side note: politicians on the other hand too easily fall onto one side or the other, so "lumping" them is a bit more straightforward).

Old 09-24-2022, 07:13 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Yet centrists claim to have the high ground on the ideals of rationalism and pragmatism, when in truth there is plenty of criticism to be had for these ideologues. Ultimately, citizen on citizen critique needs to be less concerned with labels, and more concerned with issues. Yes, the so-called activists in this housing fiasco were extremely out of touch. It wouldn't be the first time left-of-center people were out of touch. All the same, centrists and right-of-center people are often out of touch. When it comes to citizens, I think it's best to just stick to the issues. (Side note: politicians on the other hand too easily fall onto one side or the other, so "lumping" them is a bit more straightforward).
right-of-center generally doesn't exist in America. What I said was in the context of Philadelphia. The extremists make up much more of a % of the Republican party as a whole in the than the Democrats as a whole. Why else would Bernie Sanders never sniffed winning Pennsylvania? The right loves their nutty kings.

However in Philadelphia, were voter turn out is terrible, the % of people who are voting who I would consider 'Know-Nothing' activists to be is pretty high. The "out of touch" people are in control and they seem to want to deflect from solving the real issues of Philadelphia at all costs. Thomas, Clarke, Gym, Gauthier, Brooks, Johnson are the corrupt political machine.

Most of the influential people in this know-nothing movement are incredibly selfish in their intentions. Take the 'Sunrise Movement' for example. The AOC-Warren created advocacy group for wealthy white teenagers. The ***** Eye Philadelphia episode in West Philly accidentally exposed how idiotic some of these people are. What grassroots protestors have articles written about them in refinery29? https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/202...e-season-5-now

As much as the crazy right rails about 'George Soros and the New World Order', George Soros really was the backer of Krasner and elevated him in a field that split a half dozen different ways. The second election was a sham. Who ever loses in Philadelphia after being elected once? People run unopposed almost always.

Old 09-25-2022, 05:25 AM

Quote:
right-of-center generally doesn't exist in America. What I said was in the context of Philadelphia. The extremists make up much more of a % of the Republican party as a whole in the than the Democrats as a whole. Why else would Bernie Sanders never sniffed winning Pennsylvania? The right loves their nutty kings.

However in Philadelphia, were voter turn out is terrible, the % of people who are voting who I would consider 'Know-Nothing' activists to be is pretty high. The "out of touch" people are in control and they seem to want to deflect from solving the real issues of Philadelphia at all costs. Thomas, Clarke, Gym, Gauthier, Brooks, Johnson are the corrupt political machine.

Most of the influential people in this know-nothing movement are incredibly selfish in their intentions. Take the 'Sunrise Movement' for example. The AOC-Warren created advocacy group for wealthy white teenagers. The ***** Eye Philadelphia episode in West Philly accidentally exposed how idiotic some of these people are. What grassroots protestors have articles written about them in refinery29? https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/202...e-season-5-now

As much as the crazy right rails about 'George Soros and the New World Order', George Soros really was the backer of Krasner and elevated him in a field that split a half dozen different ways. The second election was a sham. Who ever loses in Philadelphia after being elected once? People run unopposed almost always.
To your first paragraph, I generally agree. There are more level-headed right-leaning people out there than you might think, but the far-right definitely has a big voice in the Republican Party right now. I guess the other thing to consider is how right-leaning this country is, especially in matters economic, compared to most of the developed world.

To #2, I also agree.

#3, I don't truly know enough about them, but I absolutely believe that climate change must be addressed urgently and boldly. I am glad organizations like them bring this to the forefront of their mission. Stupid kids will be stupid kids, no matter the politics.

#4 Yeah the incumbent advantage is real all across this country, but it feels particularly bad in Philadelphia. I feel like ranked choice voting could help this phenomenon.

Old 09-25-2022, 06:42 AM

14,196 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Krasner did have a Democratic primary opponent in his bid for a second term. (Philadelphia has elected Republican district attorneys in the past — Ron Castille was the most recent — but since then, the DA election has mirrored other city races in that the Democratic primary is the real contest.)

His name was Carlos Vega. I voted for him. But he didn't run all that strong of a campaign, and I think he had ties to the party apparatus that would have turned progressives and even many center-left Democrats off to him.

Old 09-25-2022, 09:27 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Krasner did have a Democratic primary opponent in his bid for a second term. (Philadelphia has elected Republican district attorneys in the past — Ron Castille was the most recent — but since then, the DA election has mirrored other city races in that the Democratic primary is the real contest.)

His name was Carlos Vega. I voted for him. But he didn't run all that strong of a campaign, and I think he had ties to the party apparatus that would have turned progressives and even many center-left Democrats off to him.

yes, I voted for Vega too, but again being an incumbent here makes it 1000% times easier because of the lack of turnout and how well the machine votes in-sync with itself. It is what it is. Those are the voters and I accept the results. I really wanted Negrin in 2017 to win. I read all about every candidate and I felt like he was sincere in his approach.

Old 09-25-2022, 06:33 PM

463 posts, read 206,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
The right takes a moral and militant high-ground about "saving the country," and they're far more armed and angry than the left. In that sense, it's ludicrous to call the left "much more dangerous."

Fact of the matter is that there are many on the left that are well-intentioned, but too obstinate to be pragmatic. That's really what describes this housing protest fiasco.
I completely disagree they are more angry. The left is very strong in its hatred of the right and anyone that disagrees. The left owns a majority of the media and it has great control over the national dialog. That is more dangerous than a small group of right extremists, which are the vast minority of a large group of conservatives that vary in their ideals.

I often say the right is foolish and out of touch to sustain its moral high ground. Why not embrace socially liberal ideals and embrace a more honest financially conservative platform? Of course, that question is tongue in cheek given the dynamics in play.

Old 09-25-2022, 11:05 PM

1,170 posts, read 593,238 times
I really hate "whataboutisms" but the right tried to overthrow the government and end 200+ years of democracy; we didn't. Game over.

I constantly hear people online and live compare the 2020 riots to Jan 6; as though trashing a retail store is the same as overrunning (and killing BTW) Capitol police is the same thing. Its absolutely sickening and its why I LOL at the right "backing the blue". ***** please; you love it when the police are locking up brown people but you have a stroke the moment one of "yours" gets targeted. We all remember the rights' reaction when Roger Stone got arrested. They complained that it was over the top because his wife had to leave the house without any shoes!!!! Yep, Mrs Stone and Georgie Floyd; both equal victims!

Old 09-26-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
I completely disagree they are more angry. The left is very strong in its hatred of the right and anyone that disagrees. The left owns a majority of the media and it has great control over the national dialog. That is more dangerous than a small group of right extremists, which are the vast minority of a large group of conservatives that vary in their ideals.

I often say the right is foolish and out of touch to sustain its moral high ground. Why not embrace socially liberal ideals and embrace a more honest financially conservative platform? Of course, that question is tongue in cheek given the dynamics in play.
Everyone thinks the other side is more hateful and self-righteous. Both "extremes" are angry, and centrists are angry. These are divisive times indeed. While a majority (or plurality?) of media companies may be left-leaning by our country's standards, and while many of them surely over-report on Trump-related stories, the right is extreme in its information siloing. The right-wing extremists are not a small group, and they are great at manipulating otherwise "mainstream" conservatives to fall in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
I really hate "whataboutisms" but the right tried to overthrow the government and end 200+ years of democracy; we didn't. Game over.

I constantly hear people online and live compare the 2020 riots to Jan 6; as though trashing a retail store is the same as overrunning (and killing BTW) Capitol police is the same thing. Its absolutely sickening and its why I LOL at the right "backing the blue". ***** please; you love it when the police are locking up brown people but you have a stroke the moment one of "yours" gets targeted. We all remember the rights' reaction when Roger Stone got arrested. They complained that it was over the top because his wife had to leave the house without any shoes!!!! Yep, Mrs Stone and Georgie Floyd; both equal victims!
Yep, all sides are guilty of divisiveness, but downplaying or just denying the seriousness of January 6 is the ultimate political sin. That was a line that neither political party had ever crossed, and the fact that so many still support election denialism is by far today's most alarming political issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia