Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2022, 06:36 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I totally agree with this. I once lived around 34th and Haverford and was always wondering why it hadn't taken off. Getting to amenities like the zoo, PMA, river trails, West Fairmount park + all of the museums there, and the train station was a breeze. At the time, I rented a 2 BR, 1 BA for just $1,000/mo. I loved the location and it was close to work for me at the time, plus I could walk/bike to so many places. My block was just fine, but the one adjacent to me had all sorts of bizarre activity, plus a shooting while I lived there. Somehow it still feels too beyond the fray for developers to really take the dive, but I'm sure many would love the location if it were to develop.

The more I think about it, I guess the most comparable neighborhood across the river is Brewerytown. Which I almost feel exactly the same about. Brewerytown is better than it use to be, but it still never has really taken off like other end of Girard, at least in terms of commercial offerings. However, I know Brewerytown better and it is gentrifying for sure. I'm not sure if you can say the same about Belmont/NW Mantua.

This might be my own perception, but the city itself seems to have spent far more money on affordable and public housing in North Philadelphia in the last decade than in West Philly. Directly east of Temple use to be the worst looking area of the city and imo, is now the best looking developments built by the city: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9838...7i16384!8i8192
Sharswood to have been invested in greatly to build a grocery store and lots of new affordable units.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 10-05-2022 at 06:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 07:00 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
The more I think about it, I guess the most comparable neighborhood across the river is Brewerytown. Which I almost feel exactly the same about. Brewerytown is better than it use to be, but it still never has really taken off like other end of Girard, at least in terms of commercial offerings. However, I know Brewerytown better and it is gentrifying for sure. I'm not sure if you can say the same about Belmont/NW Mantua.

This might be my own perception, but the city itself seems to have spent far more money on affordable and public housing in North Philadelphia in the last decade than in West Philly. Directly east of Temple use to be the worst looking area of the city and imo, is now the best looking developments built by the city: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9838...7i16384!8i8192
Sharswood to have been invested in greatly to build a grocery store and lots of new affordable units.
Mantua needs a grocery store for residents, similar to the one that just opened in Sharswood. I believe one is coming though?

To Sandy's point, maybe Mantua hasn't been open to development like Francisville, Brewerytown, etc/? And until sort of recently Mantua was somewhat separated from the U City action. U Penn continued campus infill and expanded South, West and Southwest (think Spruce Hill), and Drexel expanded West & Northwest and is now focused on the 30th Street area, leaving Mantua as sort of an island. But it does seem like an obvious choice for mixed-use development, but a sensitive prospect given it's a primarily black and very poor pocket of the Greater University City area.

Separately, I agree Brewerytown needs more commercial activity. There is a lot of development along the West end of Girard, Thomson, Master, but it's desolate from a commercial standpoint, cut off, and mostly surrounded by real rough areas. Whereas East Girard is the center of Philadelphia's most booming neighborhoods.

I also wish the Zoo wasn't so isolated for the average visitor, it's one of Philadelphia's best attraction. Most of the attractions in Fairmount Park are kind of isolated TBH.

Last edited by cpomp; 10-05-2022 at 07:27 AM..

Old 10-05-2022, 07:20 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,454,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

Yeah, but I think Mantua has the added benefit of decent rail access; I lived just over half a mile from the 34th and Market station, plus 30th St. station isn't far. Brewerytown is kind of in no man's land re: train access. I guess the river disconnecting Mantua from Fairmount is what makes the development spillover harder. You never hear about Mantua as "gentrifying" as you do Brewerytown. And yeah, Brewerytown has Aldi, which makes a big difference.

Old 10-05-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Mantua needs a grocery store for residents, similar to the one that just opened in Sharswood. I believe one is coming though?

To Sandy's point, maybe Mantua hasn't been open to development like Francisville, Brewerytown, etc. And until sort of recently Mantua was somewhat separated from the U City action. U Penn continued campus infill and expanded South, West and Southwest (think Spruce Hill), and Drexel expanded West & Northwest and is now focused on the 30th Street area, leaving Mantua as sort of an island. But it does seem like an obvious choice for mixed-use development, but a sensitive prospect given it's a primarily black and very poor pocket of the Greater University City area.

Separately, I agree Brewerytown needs more commercial activity. There is a lot of development along the West end of Girard, Thomson, Master, but it's desolate form a commercial and energy standpoint. It's also mostly surrounded by real rough areas. Whereas East Girard is the center of Philadelphia's most booming neighborhoods.

I also wish the Zoo wasn't so isolated for the average visitor, it's one of Philadelphia's best attraction. Most of the attractions in Fairmount Park are kind of isolated TBH.
It's all there in the West Fairmount area. It could easily be an attraction hub that does not feel isolated. The real issue is that area is considered less safe. It's a shame, because the architecture and parkscape along Parkside Ave is absolutely gorgeous. That area *could* be a very nice place to visit and walk around. To get there, the city would have to fix the mess that is Girard and 34th. Crossing the street there as a pedestrian is terrifying. It is one of the most lawless and chaotic motorized vehicle areas in the city.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:27 AM

14,196 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Yeah, but I think Mantua has the added benefit of decent rail access; I lived just over half a mile from the 34th and Market station, plus 30th St. station isn't far. Brewerytown is kind of in no man's land re: train access. I guess the river disconnecting Mantua from Fairmount is what makes the development spillover harder. You never hear about Mantua as "gentrifying" as you do Brewerytown. And yeah, Brewerytown has Aldi, which makes a big difference.
I was a big supporter of the white libertarian guy from Illinois who moved into Sharswood and worked with its civic association to land the Bottom Dollar Food store that opened in the shopping center where the Aldi is now*.

I know Mantua has civic assets - anti-violence activist Herman Wrice lives (or lived) there. But they seem less well organized than those in Brewerytown and Sharswood (same civic association covers both). Girard Avenue in Brewerytown has made a strong comeback (Mantua doesn't really have a similar commercial strip located within it; Lancaster Avenue, the closest one, lies to its south), and that can also be attributed to gentrification in the area. BTW, there is a trolley line running along Girard Avenue; buses are working it for the time being — until PennDOT's I-95 rebuild is complete, or so I understand.

*Aldi reopened 33 of the 66 Bottom Dollar Food stores in the Northeast under its banner. I later learned that Aldi actually bought all 66 locations and is leasing some out to other operators; the 66th and last Bottom Dollar store to open, at Chew Avenue and Washington Lane in East Mt. Airy, is now a Save-a-Lot.

Old 10-05-2022, 09:00 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
I guess this plan keeps with the sea of strip malls and parking in that area.

Proposed shopping center to bring Shake Shack, Raising Cane's and Lidl to South Philadelphia

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ing-canes.html

Under plans filed with the city, a 6.2-acre property at 16 Snyder Ave. will be razed and replaced with six detached structures for retail tenants including Lidl, Shake Shack, Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers, Advanced Auto Parts and Chase Bank.

Old 10-05-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I was a big supporter of the white libertarian guy from Illinois who moved into Sharswood and worked with its civic association to land the Bottom Dollar Food store that opened in the shopping center where the Aldi is now*.

I know Mantua has civic assets - anti-violence activist Herman Wrice lives (or lived) there. But they seem less well organized than those in Brewerytown and Sharswood (same civic association covers both). Girard Avenue in Brewerytown has made a strong comeback (Mantua doesn't really have a similar commercial strip located within it; Lancaster Avenue, the closest one, lies to its south), and that can also be attributed to gentrification in the area. BTW, there is a trolley line running along Girard Avenue; buses are working it for the time being — until PennDOT's I-95 rebuild is complete, or so I understand.

*Aldi reopened 33 of the 66 Bottom Dollar Food stores in the Northeast under its banner. I later learned that Aldi actually bought all 66 locations and is leasing some out to other operators; the 66th and last Bottom Dollar store to open, at Chew Avenue and Washington Lane in East Mt. Airy, is now a Save-a-Lot.
So does Aldi own that Save-a-lot?! If so, they should change it to an Aldi on the double. Save-a-lot is a total let-down. Aldi is where it's at.

Old 10-05-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
So does Aldi own that Save-a-lot?! If so, they should change it to an Aldi on the double. Save-a-lot is a total let-down. Aldi is where it's at.
From what I understand, yes, and I agree with you. Save-a-Lot is from hunger.

But do you recall that Aldi was supposed to be the grocery tenant of that new apartment building at Germantown Avenue and Hortter Street? That ended up becoming a Grocery Outlet Bargain Market, another chain I highly recommend. Guess they don't see enough of a market for them yet up this way. I'd beg to differ, but I don't work in Aldi management.

Old 10-05-2022, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
From what I understand, yes, and I agree with you. Save-a-Lot is from hunger.

But do you recall that Aldi was supposed to be the grocery tenant of that new apartment building at Germantown Avenue and Hortter Street? That ended up becoming a Grocery Outlet Bargain Market, another chain I highly recommend. Guess they don't see enough of a market for them yet up this way. I'd beg to differ, but I don't work in Aldi management.
Oh yeah! I tried out the grocery outlet just recently and I totally *loved* it. I found some great random deals on things like larabars and coconut oil, lol. It wasn't the best for a standard, low cost grocery shop run like Aldi, but it did have some really fun deals on random bulk stuff. I'm glad there is another resident on here to nerd out about things like grocery deals. This is what us sub-$100K income households sound like. Lol.

Old 10-05-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah! I tried out the grocery outlet just recently and I totally *loved* it. I found some great random deals on things like larabars and coconut oil, lol. It wasn't the best for a standard, low cost grocery shop run like Aldi, but it did have some really fun deals on random bulk stuff. I'm glad there is another resident on here to nerd out about things like grocery deals. This is what us sub-$100K income households sound like. Lol.
GO is the Overstock.com of grocery stores. If you see something you like, and it's priced really cheap, buy it now, and buy lots of it (assuming it's either not perishable or that you can freeze it), for it may not be there on my next trip.

I actually scored an Instant Pot 7-in-1 model (the middle of the line) at that GO for $69.99 a month and a half ago. Those usually retail for $110+.

I think we may need to revive the Grocery Shopping thread (I believe there was one on this board a while back.) Edited to add: And here it is:

Groceries, Grocery Stores & Supermarkets | City-Data Forum

I'm about to post something I wrote for Phillymag to it that I think you will find entertaining. Especially my charitable take on Save-a-Lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia