Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2017, 02:42 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,265,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Sometimes certain posters forget that Philadelphia is huge dynamic city, and they like to play 1950s small town America forever.
I know that cities grow and change, but some change can result in damage that can't be undone. I had no issue when the Boyd Theatre was dismantled in order to bring vibrancy to that block (though we're still waiting). The Boyd had sat there for years, an abandoned hulk in the middle of a block primed to take off. I know it was a loss, but there was simply no financially viable plan to restore and reopen it after years of trying to do so. If and when the same thing should happen with the Royal, I will feel similarly.

But the TB project in JR is completely different. Local independent entrepreneurs with successful businesses are having their livelihoods taken away from them. I predict that within 10 years, JR will be completely gone. And it won't be because the businesses were failing. It will be because developers and some contingent of real estate owners saw an opportunity to make more bucks by permanently destroying a unique corner of Philadelphia's character and replacing it a row of generic towers that could have gone up anywhere. I walk around WashWest pretty frequently, and there are a number of spots which, unlike JR, are in need of refurbishment. Once JR is gone, it will never come back.

Too bad, so sad I guess, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 04:42 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Sometimes certain posters forget that Philadelphia is huge dynamic city, and they like to play 1950s small town America forever.
The city was huger in the 1950s. It was not small town America at all.

Surely you know that 1950s Philadelphia was still.. well maybe you don't know.... in its powerhouse manufacturing days and was at the height of its population at over 2 million people and was the 3rd largest city in the country. This was before most of the white flight happened and, many neighborhoods, including what we still consider "ghetto" today, were whole.

It's only been in the last 20, or less, years that things are turning inside the city. But it won't reach 2 million people in a long time or ever again. And it probably will not stay 5th largest city in the 2020 census.

Besides southbound and I were children in the 1950s. That decade belonged to our parents, aka, the Greatest Generation.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

Jewelers row isn't just retailers. Did you know that? Did you ever wonder why there aren't tons of break ins there? Of course you didn't. If that thought had occurred to you, you wouldn't have posted that snarky comment.

Most cities don't have a jewelers row anymore. It's a throwback to when Jews weren't usually welcome everywhere, & jewelers who were Jewish lived & worked together.

You live in the suburbs. Take a trip to jewelers row & talk to people. Talk to customers & the jewelers.
cpomp grew up in Phila. suburbs but lives in NYC now. But he probably has spent at least some time walking around that neighborhood.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

It's a shame. Yes, they will go on, but it will likely break up the district. The retailers will probably disperse. The manufacturers may also disperse. The wholesalers might leave the city, but life will go on for them.
Hmmm... Personally I think you're being a bit dramatic. It might help younger people become more aware of Jeweler's Row making them new customers.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:20 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
cpomp grew up in Phila. suburbs but lives in NYC now. But he probably has spent at least some time walking around that neighborhood.
I wasn't addressing that to him.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:43 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I know that cities grow and change, but some change can result in damage that can't be undone. I had no issue when the Boyd Theatre was dismantled in order to bring vibrancy to that block (though we're still waiting). The Boyd had sat there for years, an abandoned hulk in the middle of a block primed to take off. I know it was a loss, but there was simply no financially viable plan to restore and reopen it after years of trying to do so. If and when the same thing should happen with the Royal, I will feel similarly.

But the TB project in JR is completely different. Local independent entrepreneurs with successful businesses are having their livelihoods taken away from them. I predict that within 10 years, JR will be completely gone. And it won't be because the businesses were failing. It will be because developers and some contingent of real estate owners saw an opportunity to make more bucks by permanently destroying a unique corner of Philadelphia's character and replacing it a row of generic towers that could have gone up anywhere. I walk around WashWest pretty frequently, and there are a number of spots which, unlike JR, are in need of refurbishment. Once JR is gone, it will never come back.

+5 Can't rep you again.

There's wholesale, retail, manufacturing, & a refinery there. The refinery also sells tools. If the retailers no longer feel safe because of too many unknowns, they will scatter. If they aren't there, the manufacturers will scatter. Without either of the other groups there, the wholesalers have no reason to stay. They can do their business anywhere, including online. The refinery? They can go to the suburbs. No one has to stay. They've stayed partly because of tradition. By the 70s, it was no longer 100% Jewish, but I heard about when it was.

I think your timeline is about right. It will be gone in 5 - 15 years. It's a shame. There's no good reason for it.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:01 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,265,606 times
^^^ Such a shame.

Can't rep you either.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:39 AM

14,189 posts, read 9,085,132 times
Quote:
Thanks.

It's a shame. Yes, they will go on, but it will likely break up the district. The retailers will probably disperse. The manufacturers may also disperse. The wholesalers might leave the city, but life will go on for them.
The developer who owns the building at the other end of the 700 block of Sansom (and whose company is headquartered in it) doesn't agree.

Equally interesting IMO is that most of the people with Jewelers Row addresses who testified before the Historical Commission supported the project. Most of them, I recall, were property owners, though some owned shops on the street.

The people who testified against at the WSWCA and had a Jewelers Row connection largely lived on the street, especially in the buildings slated to disappear. A couple were older, a couple younger. It was one of the younger ones who told me that the St. James was half-empty.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:55 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Quote:
The city was huger in the 1950s. It was not small town America at all.

Surely you know that 1950s Philadelphia was still.. well maybe you don't know.... in its powerhouse manufacturing days and was at the height of its population at over 2 million people and was the 3rd largest city in the country. This was before most of the white flight happened and, many neighborhoods, including what we still consider "ghetto" today, were whole.

It's only been in the last 20, or less, years that things are turning inside the city. But it won't reach 2 million people in a long time or ever again. And it probably will not stay 5th largest city in the 2020 census.

Besides southbound and I were children in the 1950s. That decade belonged to our parents, aka, the Greatest Generation.

I wasn't referring to Philadelphia in the 1950s, I was poking at the simple minded nature of many Americans in the 1950s.

Quote:
I did live in Philadelphia for 5 years, a friend of mine actually opened the coffee shop (Arterial Agents) on the corner of 7th and Samson and my parents work near Wash Sq, and I was a construction/architectural engineering major at Drexel, so contrary to what some may believe, I have spent many many hours exploring ALL parts of Philadelphia, not just the pretty ones.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:00 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

Lets just say hypothetically: The rest of the block makes it through historic designation or does not get developed (we can only build so much in CC) and Toll decides to add jewelers on the ground floor retail, aside from 18 months of construction, it would seem that both sides win and Jewelers Row would survive and likely see more foot traffic than years before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia