Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2020, 09:07 AM

121 posts, read 98,660 times

Advertisements

I strongly agree with thedirtypirate. Even though I was not alive, these were very different Philadelphia's and I do not think having private cars able to park on the street significantly affects business on much of chestnut street. As a start I believe that the parking cuts should be made delivery only during the day because delivery trucks are what is blocking most busses along Chestnut. They get ticketed and do not care, they consider it a cost of doing business in the city. The culture of deliveries will only increase especially in urban centers. Those spots should be dedicated to deliveries to ease them parking in the bus lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 09:11 AM

273 posts, read 207,276 times
Here's Inga's article on this from 2018:

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20181213.html

The Transit Way unfortunately coincided with 30 years of population loss--almost half a million people!

Old 02-20-2020, 09:34 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
Pretty sure there's been lots of reporting recently that contradicts this claim.
What claim? That it killed retail on Chestnut when it did precisely that? I'm guessing that you were not around when it was done before.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:41 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
IMO, the decline of Chestnut Street had very little to do with the Transit Way itself. I wasn't alive at the time so I am be wrong, but didn't all the commercial corridors in the city basically decline at the same time? Malls and strip malls were constructed all over the Delaware Valley. It removed the need for people to come to the traditional 'Main Street' to go shopping. The fact that Chestnut Street is even more narrow suggests to me an even greater need to reduce traffic. Cars honking in your face doesn't make for a nice experience. I think they should remove the lane of parking. Widen the sidewalks and make it a two way street with just buses going up and down. Half the time I walk down to the 40 bus because it makes its way across town significantly faster.
Malls were a factor but not the only factor. And, as you say you were not alive. I was. It didn't help having a mayor like Frank Rizzo in City Hall at least at the start.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:51 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Wow!

https://www.inquirer.com/arts/alexan...-20200220.html

A little more than two decades after a Calder museum was first proposed for the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, the long-dormant idea has blossomed again, funding has materialized, and backers say that, by spring 2021, construction should get underway between 21st and 22nd Streets across from the Barnes Foundation and the Rodin Museum.

The works for display, which have not yet been selected, will be loaned by the New York-based Calder Foundation for 99 years and would rotate through the Philadelphia facility, known informally as Calder Philadelphia. The art will be displayed in and around a building with a prominent garden.
Herzog & de Meuron, the Pritzker Prize-winning architects behind London’s Tate Modern, have signed on to the project, but no design renderings are yet available.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:50 AM

273 posts, read 207,276 times
Quote:
What claim? That it killed retail on Chestnut when it did precisely that? I'm guessing that you were not around when it was done before.
Quote:
Malls were a factor but not the only factor. And, as you say you were not alive. I was.
Please tell us your date of birth so we know to disregard your opinions of anything that happened before then since that is apparently the measuring stick you use.

Old 02-20-2020, 11:04 AM

14,195 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Wow!

A little more than two decades after a Calder museum was first proposed for the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, the long-dormant idea has blossomed again, funding has materialized, and backers say that, by spring 2021, construction should get underway between 21st and 22nd Streets across from the Barnes Foundation and the Rodin Museum.

The works for display, which have not yet been selected, will be loaned by the New York-based Calder Foundation for 99 years and would rotate through the Philadelphia facility, known informally as Calder Philadelphia. The art will be displayed in and around a building with a prominent garden.
Herzog & de Meuron, the Pritzker Prize-winning architects behind London’s Tate Modern, have signed on to the project, but no design renderings are yet available.
Fantastic news!

Old 02-20-2020, 12:54 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Wow!

very cool. Having a museum on the other side of the parkway is awesome news. It activates a currently unused piece of land, and also balances the parkway out a little bit more visually coming down.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:59 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
What claim? That it killed retail on Chestnut when it did precisely that?

So what killed Germantown Ave.? Woodlawn Ave.? Frankford Ave.?

Old 02-20-2020, 01:11 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
very cool. Having a museum on the other side of the parkway is awesome news. It activates a currently unused piece of land, and also balances the parkway out a little bit more visually coming down.
Agreed, it would also be great if some sort of restaurant of cafe was added to the project. I don't know the details of the plans, but the Parkway needs more restaurants, food brings people in, and the museums will help them stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia