Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2019, 01:24 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I'm not entirely sure how reluctance towards high-rise buildings is "provincial" and/or "backwards." It's extremely common to have height restrictions in place in some of the world's most cosmopolitan and forward-thinking cities.

There's perfectly legitimate reasons to protect lower-rise areas from too much height, to maintain the human scale and historic charm of an area for sure. Center City is increasingly undergoing "Manhattanization." There's no doubt that this will change the character of the city over time.

That's not to say density isn't welcome and that plenty of parcels in the city couldn't use much more density (particularly along major corridors like Broad and Market Streets where the urban fabric has been ripped apart over the years).

I think a good compromise would be to focus super-density on areas that could absolutely use much more of it (think large, embarrassing lots like 8th & Market or at Broad & Washington or so many more that are terribly underutilized). There are also thousands smaller, underutilized parcels within tight neighborhoods across the city that could be built-up, but mid-rise (4-10 stories) would be much more suitable.
I don't think you saw my quote in context. I was referring to the height agreement over City Hall being provincial and backward, not reluctance to build high overall. I agree, height doesn't always equal great. Paris is Example 1 in that. But, Philly could absolutely benefit from additional high-rise construction in and around Center City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 01:45 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,344,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Let's hope it happens!

The 13th and Market bldg died and so did, apparently, the Parkway backed project at Broad and Spring Garden.
There was another project on Broad, south of Race, in a, now closed, parking garage. Nothing seems to be happening with that one either.
There is a new Blumenfeld project proposed on another corner at Broad and Spring Garden, hope that works out.

I am also interested to see the details on the N side of the 1100 block of Chestnut. All of the tenants have been evicted for demo.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:33 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
There is a new Blumenfeld project proposed on another corner at Broad and Spring Garden, hope that works out.

I am also interested to see the details on the N side of the 1100 block of Chestnut. All of the tenants have been evicted for demo.
Given Blumenfeld's track record I have faith that that one will happen. It will be transformative.

Hopefully 1100 Chestnut will resemble East Market.

All good stuff!

Old 04-30-2019, 06:58 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,525,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Philadelphia also has other spaces to build tall structures aside from Center City. Building high-rises on surface parking lots in Center City make sense, but there are also a lot of open lots in other parts of the city. I think allowing certain parts of the city to be massively upzoned if filling up mostly abandoned lots, surface parking lots, and gas stations which can make sense especially if it's near transit and there wouldn't be much beloved neighborhood character or look to destroy.

I'm still very much in favor of high-rises in Glenwood near the North Philadelphia and North Broad RR and BSL stop with a good covered pedestrian pathways to transfer among these.
Residential high-rises most definitely. But office high-rises should be confined mostly to the downtown areas to keep the city healthy and not have too much sprawl.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I don't know why people are so pro-high rise. I would rather that we have 3 healthy 10 story buildings take 3 of our empty parking lots than to build a 30 story tower on 1 parking lot. Spread the love and investment out. Build vibrancy and places for people on a wider scale. Seriously, the best cities in the world have few high rises IMO.
Because that's stupid and wastes precious space and will drive up housing costs. Move to a low rise city if you want to spend your entire salary on rent. Philly is not a low rise city.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
All of this is a big reason why the Republican party scared away moderate voters. MY parents are examples of that. Suburbanites with moderate political views (very socially liberal), and they don't identify with the Republican party because even in our own state its absurd what it has become.

The blatant racism, homophobia, xenophobia, their disdain and denial toward social and welfare programs, and all in the name of God... the religious part scares me the most. Belief and worship what you want, but don't use your creepy religious views to promote a hateful backwards agenda.

Anyways... I don't consider most Philadelphia politicians to be far left (there are a few though, Helen Gym), they are more a part of the old school corrupt big city democratic machine, certainly no better...
This.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:16 PM

377 posts, read 474,923 times
Apologies if this was posted already: https://philly.curbed.com/2019/5/1/1...lished-alterra

7-story apartment building planned for site of semi-demolished West Philly church

Old 05-02-2019, 05:05 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,877,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbobsully94 View Post
Because that's stupid and wastes precious space and will drive up housing costs. Move to a low rise city if you want to spend your entire salary on rent. Philly is not a low rise city.
That's a pretty myopic viewpoint. Philadelphia's rent isn't the cheapest, but it's not exactly high either. There are so many vacant lots and surface parking lots in the city. The city should be working to provide more employment opportunities and expand the footprint of livable neighborhoods. Some of which has been happening. Of course the employment side is lagging. It's not like Philadelphia has nowhere left to build, requiring super tall structures to offer more units so rent can stay low. There are plenty of lots that could be developed 10 to 15 stories and provide more than enough units, but more expanded footprint with quality public spaces to connect neighborhoods and developments.

Regarding Philadelphia not being a low rise city... tour around the city's 134 square miles and try making that statement when you're done. Center City and University City encompass only about 4 square miles of the city. That's somewhere around 4%.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I don't think you saw my quote in context. I was referring to the height agreement over City Hall being provincial and backward, not reluctance to build high overall. I agree, height doesn't always equal great. Paris is Example 1 in that. But, Philly could absolutely benefit from additional high-rise construction in and around Center City.
You probably know it was a kind of "Gentlemen's Agreement". There's nothing wrong with tradition. And we eventually saw the sense in the argument that Willard Rouse made about building Liberty Place 1.

Rouse was a phenomenal guy. I wish he was alive now.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbobsully94 View Post

The person you replied to lives in a low rise part of the city: Mt Airy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia