Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,655,636 times

Advertisements

Yeah, there actually is a point to height controls. Planning and Zoning are good things for cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 11:08 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Not sure if this is a best fit here in this thread but thought this was interesting.

The Philadelphia Stock Exchange and the City It Made | Vitiello, Domenic. With George E. Thomas

Some commentary from another site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Roll View Post
Has anyone else on here read The Philadelphia Stock Exchange and the City It Made[/url]? I just finished the book and it is a fascinating read. It really outlines what happened to the city and why Philadelphia diminished from a global trade and world finance center into the regional city that it is today.
One thing that I found interesting is the book seems to imply that by the early 1920s the city was already in a state of decline and that if not for World War 2 the Philadelphia economy would have experienced decline 20-30 years earlier.
Another interesting thing that I learned from the book was that Philadelphia and Pennsylvania seemed to pioneer suburbs due to the Pennsylvania Rail Road Company and the massive investments that were made into state infrastructure which lead to many of the wealthy decamping for estates in Montgomery County and other suburban areas. The book also noted that around the same time Philadelphia lagged other major cities in attracting immigrants.
So has anybody else read it? If so what did you find interesting about it?
found here
SkyscraperPage Forum - View Single Post - PHILADELPHIA | The Development Thread VIII

Old 01-23-2013, 05:03 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
OK...about this article that reads kinda bogus.
Read this:

Bernard Hopkins Celebrates His 47th Birthday With His Doppelganger « CBS Philly

Philadelphia Wax Museum on Broad Street?
Hmmm?

I might start to believe on something...

Old 01-23-2013, 05:13 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,706,631 times
Some interesting developments today... first off

Looks like a few Law Firms are interested in the Liberty Property Tower at 19th and Arch. Also, some news on the possibility of office towers being viable in 2013 in Philadelphia
Quote:
Major space users in Center City are itching for more SF but being met by low vacancy. That’s a formula for new office development, a real possibility in 2013, according to Newmark Grubb Knight Frank executive managing director Wayne Fisher.
Quote:
Wayne says Center City’s trophy office buildings, mostly towers over 40 stories, benefited the most from last year’s uptick in leasing. The trophies didn’t have high vacancies going into the downturn, and aggressive rents attracted tenants who might have otherwise stuck with their previous digs. Deals could be had for around $30/SF, down from 2000s highs around $35 to $40/SF. Now trophy space is extremely tight, and rents will go up this year.
Quote:
There are only eight full floors of available space among trophy assets, Wayne adds—about 160k SF all together. Liberty Property Trust has plans for a roughly 400k SF office building, and a few law firms are kicking that tire, Wayne says. In Philly, new construction comes in at roughly a $45 to $50/SF proposition, but the higher cost would be partly offset by operating and layout efficiencies, LEED status, and other new-building advantages.
Quote:
Newmark Grubb Knight Frank says office leasing volume in Center City totaled about 2.8M SF in 2012, a 40% increase over 2011, driven by a handful of large renewals and new leases. The company predicts net absorption of 150k SF by the end of 2013. Vacancy, which ended 2012 at about 14.1% overall, is projected to drop to 13.7% by the end of 2013. Despite this modest improvement, rental rates will remain flat, with the exception of trophy assets, where direct vacancy was a healthy 5.1% at the end of 2012.
New Center City Offices - Real Estate Bisnow (Philadelphia)

CIRA SOUTH

"Cira South" ... but they actually have a Foundation permit. Filed Jan 14 by Brandywine Cira South LP at 2930 Chestnut. And a Shell permit!! Filed 1/22!!! I just found that as I was writing about the foundation permit! So much excellent!

Quote:
FOR THE ERECTION OF CORE & SHELL OF A (36) STORY HIGH-RISE RESIDENTIAL BUILDING OF PROTECTED NONCOMBUSTIBLE CONCRETE/STEEL CONSTRUCTION WITH EXTERIOR GLAZED CURTAIN WALL SYSTEM; BUILDING IS TO BE FULLY SPRINKLERED. ALL WORK PERMITTED HEREIN LIMITED TO ERECTION OF BUILDING ENVELOPE & SUPERSTRUCTURE ONLY; SEPARATE FIT-OUT & CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY PERMITS REQUIRED PRIOR TO OCCUPANCY.
LOOKS LIKE THE RESIDENTIAL TOWER FOR CIRA SOUTH MAY BE 36 FLOORS!!!! FOR REFERENCE. CIRA CENTER IS 29 FLOORS AND 437 FEET. THIS IS A RESIDENTIAL TOWER THOUGH. SO IT MAY BE SLIGHTLY SHORTER.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 PM

932 posts, read 1,946,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
[/b]"Cira South" ... but they actually have a Foundation permit. Filed Jan 14 by Brandywine Cira South LP at 2930 Chestnut. And a Shell permit!! Filed 1/22!!! I just found that as I was writing about the foundation permit! So much excellent!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:18 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,706,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bta88 View Post
haha

Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Coming Along: $60 Million Home2 Suites at 12th and Arch - Checking In - Curbed Philly

Old 01-24-2013, 12:01 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Exactly. Height is overrated.
I agree and I think the building looks like it will be a nice addition. We do not need massive height when there really isn't that much to begin with. It will look a bit awkward.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:57 PM

9,352 posts, read 13,019,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
I agree and I think the building looks like it will be a nice addition. We do not need massive height when there really isn't that much to begin with. It will look a bit awkward.
To maintain an aesthetic skyline, we really can't have ginormous buildings outside the center of the urban core.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:15 PM

932 posts, read 1,946,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Who said anything about "massive height"? It should be 400-500ft tall to match St. James. You people and your assumptions...

Anyway, there should be no "height limit" in any of the CC neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia