Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2022, 07:48 AM

14,196 posts, read 9,089,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
So what are the rules exactly? If you run for mayor, you have to give up your council seat? In that case, I invite many of our distinguished members to go ahead and run lol.
The 1951 Home Rule Charter contains a clause that stipulates that any holder of an elective office in the City of Philadelphia must resign in order to seek another city elected office. Thus Councilmember Michael Nutter had to give up his Council seat in order to run for mayor.

I don't recall whether this also applies to city elected officials who wish to seek elected office at the state level. I think it does, though.

This was one of several provisions in the 1951 City Charter intended to thwart corrupt machine politics. That such politics survive anyway is a testimony to the ingenuity of political machines and machine politicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 09:03 AM

1,026 posts, read 448,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Permits Issued For 3151 Market Street In University City, West Philadelphia

https://phillyyimby.com/2022/02/perm...ladelphia.html

So happy to see this moving along.
This is a great design. Hoping to see more of the same with all the new residential constuction in the pipeline.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:26 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Now, just waiting on the big red one. Weren't you just saying you wanted to see Brandywine build more building quicker? This is another.

Long in planning and now developed, $225M Broadridge leases up

This makes me happy to see. The large apartment building with the Aldi at Broad and Fairmount is 95% leased. For years that area was especially a no-man's land with nothing to see or do without walking blocks away from Broad street
Fingers crossed the red tower is a go. I think it may actually happen.

And yes, maybe Brandywine read our thread, lol. Even though the building at 31st & Market isn't a skyscraper, it's still a major infill success, and shows that the momentum is not slowing down.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Interesting, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Actually LOL'd at the cindy bass comment. What a strange person she seems to be. Completely over her head as a councilwoman of a major US city.

Not to paint Helen Gym as simply a stereotype, but she does so many things where you just think to yourself "of course, that's what she said". Basically the opposite of a pragmatic leader we need.

I am certainly not advocating for a 100% pound cake Cosby type of guy to run, but I am a little envious of NYC electing a more centrist type person like Adams.

A few weeks ago, I saw people reminiscing about John Cheney on his birthday. It got me thinking about a photo I have of Bill Cosby, Cheney, and me taken when I was like 10 years old. As a kid, Cosby might as well have been a god. He was a big deal in a city without many celebrities. I always wondered if he would have been more of a public figure still had the sexual assault allegations not arisen.
Isn't Rebecca Reinhart possibly in the running? There are actually quite a few solid candidates in the running, but also a lot bad candidates potentially in the running.

So if Allan Domb runs and loses, his seat spot is gone? Who picks the replacement, the Mayor? My fear is losing a decent councilperson and replacing them with another Kendra Brooks type.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Isn't Rebecca Reinhart possibly in the running? There are actually quite a few solid candidates in the running, but also a lot bad candidates potentially in the running.

So if Allan Domb runs and loses, his seat spot is gone? Who picks the replacement, the Mayor? My fear is losing a decent councilperson and replacing them with another Kendra Brooks type.
Since the Mayor and the Council both run for re-election in the same year, more likely, the seat remains vacant until it's filled in the fall general election.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:

And yes, maybe Brandywine read our thread, lol. Even though the building at 31st & Market isn't a skyscraper, it's still a major infill success, and shows that the momentum is not slowing down.
"Red tower"?

Old 02-15-2022, 12:43 PM

445 posts, read 415,397 times
Quote:

I'll take Kendra Brooks over Darrell Clarke, Cindy Bass, or Kenyatta Johnson any day of the week. I think there's obviously a place for an authentic poor and working class Black voice on city council and Kendra does a pretty good job of that. What we don't need more of are establishment boomer conservatives like the majority of the district councilmembers.

Old 02-15-2022, 01:07 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
"Red tower"?
Is Philadelphia ready for a big red skyscraper at Schuylkill Yards?

Quote:

The one talked about in the article is 100% going to happen. The rest of the 30th street plan is more unclear.

Old 02-15-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Is Philadelphia ready for a big red skyscraper at Schuylkill Yards?

The one talked about in the article is 100% going to happen. The rest of the 30th street plan is more unclear.
Brandywine broke ground for that tower last fall, and construction is now well underway.

The tower on the site of the old Bulletin press room/bank branch at 32d and Market is the next to be teed up.

Old 02-15-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
"Red tower"?
Quote:
Brandywine broke ground for that tower last fall, and construction is now well underway.

The tower on the site of the old Bulletin press room/bank branch at 32d and Market is the next to be teed up.
Your mistaking the big red tower for the shorter tan tower next door. The shorter tan tower will still stand 360'+, with a mix of residential and lab space. The red tower will be 500'+, but Brandywine hasn't given a timeline.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...246168&page=20
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia