Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2022, 03:00 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
I'll take Kendra Brooks over Darrell Clarke, Cindy Bass, or Kenyatta Johnson any day of the week. I think there's obviously a place for an authentic poor and working class Black voice on city council and Kendra does a pretty good job of that. What we don't need more of are establishment boomer conservatives like the majority of the district councilmembers.
Eh, I guess, but she's too extreme to me, at least from what I've seen so far.

But don't like Clarke, Bass, and Johnson either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 03:53 PM

1,027 posts, read 445,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Your mistaking the big red tower for the shorter tan tower next door. The shorter tan tower will still stand 360'+, with a mix of residential and lab space. The red tower will be 500'+, but Brandywine hasn't given a timeline.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...246168&page=20
...and I thought 2222 Market was going to be a ''red'' high-rise as well. I know the design etc changed a bit and I'm glad this in-fill building is finishing up but not liking the dark brown/black cladding at all.

Old 02-15-2022, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
...and I thought 2222 Market was going to be a ''red'' high-rise as well. I know the design etc changed a bit and I'm glad this in-fill building is finishing up but not liking the dark brown/black cladding at all.
I think 2222 Market is shaping up well and fills a long embarrassing vacant lot.

It is a little squat and blocky though, but I'm content with it.

Since we are discussing new buildings, I think Arthaus (new Carl Dranoff building) turned out extremely well, and is the best looking new tower IMO.

Old 02-15-2022, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I think 2222 Market is shaping up well and fills a long embarrassing vacant lot.

It is a little squat and blocky though, but I'm content with it.

Since we are discussing new buildings, I think Arthaus (new Carl Dranoff building) turned out extremely well, and is the best looking new tower IMO.
Arthaus is nice and much better than The Laurel; happy to have residential development but The Laurel looks like an office building.

Yeah, 2222 Market is a perfect design for suburban office park but it does begin, hopefully, the long overdue in-fill in this area. The original design had, I believe, lighter-glass and some contrast with the ''siding''.

This area is perfect for mixed-to-residential development but who knows what the post-pandemic scene will be especially in the big central business districts and, at least pre-pandemic, a subway station would have been ideal in and around this stretch of Market.

Old 02-16-2022, 07:29 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Arthaus is nice and much better than The Laurel; happy to have residential development but The Laurel looks like an office building.

Yeah, 2222 Market is a perfect design for suburban office park but it does begin, hopefully, the long overdue in-fill in this area. The original design had, I believe, lighter-glass and some contrast with the ''siding''.

This area is perfect for mixed-to-residential development but who knows what the post-pandemic scene will be especially in the big central business districts and, at least pre-pandemic, a subway station would have been ideal in and around this stretch of Market.
There are underground trolley stations at 19th and 22nd that connect with the El and Broad St subway. Were you envisioning a north-south route?

Old 02-16-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:

Agree, The Laurel looks like it's from the earl 90s era, part of the post-modern skyscraper boom. Lighter glass (like the original renderings) would have helped, but it's still a decent tower. And the ground levels are still not complete, which might help the overall look of the tower from up close.

2222 Market originally had more geometry and overhangs, some were cut out, likely due to cost.

There is a great overbuild proposal immediately West of 2222 Market, another huge improvement to the stretch if realized. 222-Unit, 14-Story Overbuild Project Planned at 23rd and Market - Rising Real Estate

And as FindingZen said, there is a trolley stop at 21st & Market, but a subway stop would require major infrastructure work, and SEPTA budget is limited, and most city leaders don't care about improving transit... On the subway topic, a Broad Street Line extension to the Navy Yard should be a priority.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:16 AM

This could be cool!

Philadelphia250 to issue call for community projects leading up to 2026 celebration

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-projects.html

"The nonprofit coordinating Philadelphia’s plans for the semiquincentennial is issuing a public call for community projects that will pave the way to the 2026 celebration."

"Many Philadelphia attractions were legacy projects that came out of past major anniversary commemorations, DiLeo Kim said. For example, Memorial Hall, now home to the Please Touch Museum, was built as an art gallery for the 1876 Centennial, which also informed the layout of the city’s Centennial District, she noted. The Ben Franklin Bridge and FDR Park were born out of the 1926 sesquicentennial, while the 1976 bicentennial yielded projects like Robert Indiana's iconic LOVE sculpture and the African-American Museum in Philadelphia, DiLeo Kim added."

Old 02-16-2022, 09:29 AM

Philly ends vaccine mandate for indoor dining, but keeps mask mandate; city to pay residents $100 to get vaccinated

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coro...-20220216.html

Old 02-16-2022, 09:35 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Agree, The Laurel looks like it's from the earl 90s era, part of the post-modern skyscraper boom. Lighter glass (like the original renderings) would have helped, but it's still a decent tower. And the ground levels are still not complete, which might help the overall look of the tower from up close.

2222 Market originally had more geometry and overhangs, some were cut out, likely due to cost.

There is a great overbuild proposal immediately West of 2222 Market, another huge improvement to the stretch if realized. 222-Unit, 14-Story Overbuild Project Planned at 23rd and Market - Rising Real Estate

And as FindingZen said, there is a trolley stop at 21st & Market, but a subway stop would require major infrastructure work, and SEPTA budget is limited, and most city leaders don't care about improving transit... On the subway topic, a Broad Street Line extension to the Navy Yard should be a priority.
The trolley stations are at 19th and 22d streets, the latter replacing a station at the original subway tunnel portal at 24th Street. The original plan was for the subway tunnel to have four tracks all the way from the Schuylkill to the Delaware, with trolleys providing "local" service and the Market Street elevated running "express."

But lack of money, or the narrower width of Market Street east of City Hall, or both, caused the Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company to loop the trolleys around City Hall and run the subway eastward from there with local stops.

Anyway, a 1987 "Plan for Center City" produced by the City Planning Commission did call for an infill Market-Frankford Line subway station that would have occupied the 2000 block of Market Street, with entrances at 20th and 21st streets. This would have been a complex undertaking, for it would have required widening the tunnel and inserting either an island platform or two side platforms to serve the center tracks. And since the tracks are not far enough below the surface in the 2000 block to insert a mezzanine, the tracks would have had to be lowered to create room for one.

But I would definitely argue that there are more pressing things SEPTA needs to do with the money. Actually, the construction trades unions would love to see the Broad Street Line extension to the Navy Yard built, and that extension is still on SEPTA's wish list (in contrast to the Roosevelt Boulevard (Northeast Spur) subway, which isn't. But SEPTA currently has all its expansion eggs in the King of Prussia NHSL spur basket, whose usefulness seems to me a little more dubious, especially since it will stop about a half-mile short of the development that was built for it to serve.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:57 AM

The subway station in the Market/20s isn't something I envisioned but, as MarketStEl pointed out, plans for a station here have been around a long time and has come up here-n-there most recently due to the current (2222) and proposed developments in these blocks. There were hopes of decent to large commercial developments here as the office/commercial sector moves, or was envisioned to move, to a bi-lateral Schuykill/30th Street Station orientation.

Although a pipe dream, if the 1987 plans did take shape, what would this area, currently large parking craters, look like 35 years later?

All bets are off though, whether it's a BSL Navy Yard extension or getting SEPTA back to some semblance of pre-pandemic ridership, until the full effects of the pandemic shake-out, which are expected to take years. Local concerns with a background of growing national and global concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia