Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2022, 01:56 AM

14,192 posts, read 9,089,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Great news for Philadelphia from the fintech world.

Cash App, a Block Inc. business, leases space at East Market for new Philadelphia office

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...st-market.html

A business operated by Block Inc., a financial services company that owns Square among other brands, has signed a deal to occupy 35,000 square feet of office space at East Market in Philadelphia.

Cash App has leased the space at 1100 Ludlow St., a 225,000-square-foot office building. A spokeswoman from Block confirmed Cash App will move into the space but declined to provide additional details such as how many employees it will have working from the new Philadelphia office.
The renaming of Square to Block, besides indicating that the company has gone three-dimensional, strikes me as akin to Facebook renaming itself Meta.

(Wait. A block can also be a two-dimensional square in a city. What was the point of this renaming?)

Cash App competes directly with PayPal's Venmo. I think Cash App has the cleaner interface and is easier to use. (I also note that, in the lower-income neighborhood I live in, more people have Cash App on their smartphones than Venmo.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 09:57 AM

1,213 posts, read 956,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
More incredible Life Sciences news... The article also mentions Myers Hall will be demolished to make way for a park.

Drexel, Gattuso Development Partners to build $400M life sciences project

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...m-project.html

Drexel University and Gattuso Development Partners (GDP) announced Monday that they are slated to build a 500,000-square-foot life sciences research and lab building on campus beginning later this year. It’s estimated that the proposed building at 3201 Cuthbert St. near 32nd and JFK Boulevard will be the largest life sciences research lab facility in the city when it’s completed in fall 2024.

At the end of last year, Spark Therapeutics announced a same-size manufacturing facility at 30th and Chestnut streets on Drexel’s F Lot. Both projects are a nod to the ever-growing demand for life sciences space in University City and beyond: As a CBRE report noted in December, Philly real estate isn’t keeping up with life science lab space demand.

GDP is behind the skyline-defining Comcast Center and Comcast Technology Center, as well as 18 new buildings down at the Navy Yard. The company will partner with New York-based Vigilant Real Estate Holdings and Boston-based The Baupost Group on the project.
U City is poised to overtake Cambridge in the next decade in research and life sciences. The influx of researchers, employees and biotechs will only increase housing demands in the area - continuing to push the boundaries throughout west Philly for rehabbing decrepit homes and new construction on empty lots. Exciting times!

Old 03-24-2022, 10:22 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
U City is poised to overtake Cambridge in the next decade in research and life sciences. The influx of researchers, employees and biotechs will only increase housing demands in the area - continuing to push the boundaries throughout west Philly for rehabbing decrepit homes and new construction on empty lots. Exciting times!

Take over is a bit bold and too general. Cambridge and the Boston area has deep roots in multiple hard science fields that University City will not be able to fully compete with. Gene Therapy, one of the fastest growing/ most promising biotech fields, is ours for the plucking though. It really shouldn't come as a surprise because Gene Therapy is more closely a relative of the Pharma industry (an industry Philadelphia has extremely deep roots in) than it is related to actual tech. None the less, it's still transformative business growth.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:30 AM

If the census is to be believed.... philadelphia did absolutely terrible last year population wise and saw a substantial amount of last decades "growth" be erased in the last two years. A shame. Obviously, a more nuanced analysis is needed to truly determine where people left from, but I have a feeling it's from all over the place. -27,000+ is a lot of people.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:33 AM

1,170 posts, read 593,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
If the census is to be believed.... philadelphia did absolutely terrible last year population wise and saw a substantial amount of last decades "growth" be erased in the last two years. A shame. Obviously, a more nuanced analysis is needed to truly determine where people left from, but I have a feeling it's from all over the place. -27,000+ is a lot of people.
Do you have a link? I took a look and didn't see anything quite like that. Population growth has slowed to a trickle but didn't see anything show a decrease in population.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:38 AM

752 posts, read 461,399 times
Quote:
Could you share the info you are looking at? Are you saying that the population was actually 1.63M in 2018 and then dropped to 1.60 in 2020? The only way one could know that would be to use annual census estimates which are just that and often miss the mark. I have no doubt we lost people during the COVID shutdowns and I suppose it could have been significant but I have troubling believing it was tens of thousands.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Do you have a link? I took a look and didn't see anything quite like that. Population growth has slowed to a trickle but didn't see anything show a decrease in population.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Could you share the info you are looking at? Are you saying that the population was actually 1.63M in 2018 and then dropped to 1.60 in 2020? The only way one could know that would be to use annual census estimates which are just that and often miss the mark. I have no doubt we lost people during the COVID shutdowns and I suppose it could have been significant but I have troubling believing it was tens of thousands.

https://www2.census.gov/programs-sur...ets/2020-2021/

Once there, you can click on counties or metros and then open it in Excel

the population as of July 1st 2020 was 1,601,005 (a decline of -2,792 from the year before that). the population as of July 1st 2021 is estimated at 1,576,251. A loss of just about -25,000. In total, a net of over -27,000

Old 03-24-2022, 10:58 AM

1,170 posts, read 593,238 times
Thanks, lets hope those estimates are either wrong or just temporary. I am not too alarmed, yet. 2020 and 2021 saw a spike in death rates, and a drop in birth rates. I assume we will get back to something closer to 2019. That along with resumption of immigration should help a lot. The US today announced it is taking 100k Ukrainian refugees, I think we would be an attractive destination considering the size of our existing Ukrainian community.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Thanks, lets hope those estimates are either wrong or just temporary. I am not too alarmed, yet. 2020 and 2021 saw a spike in death rates, and a drop in birth rates. I assume we will get back to something closer to 2019. That along with resumption of immigration should help a lot. The US today announced it is taking 100k Ukrainian refugees, I think we would be an attractive destination considering the size of our existing Ukrainian community.

Lol... i was just thinking the same thing. The russians are inadvertently sustaining our immigration numbers.

The death rate being higher than birth rate is pretty strange given it's reverse for every other metro around us. Does it mean we are getting younger? Or getting older on average? One thing it definitely says: given DC and NYC had more births than deaths, their out-migration must have been WAY WAY WAY higher to achieve declines like that even with more births.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
The death rate being higher than birth rate is pretty strange given it's reverse for every other metro around us. Does it mean we are getting younger? Or getting older on average?

Actually the more I think about it, it makes perfect sense. With an increase in elder death rates due to covid, places that don't tax retirement incomes like PA, will inherently have more deaths in a period like we have just gone through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia